Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Like we’ve discussed before, it’s not a job for top managers.

Howe would only be interested if he was sick of club management or couldn’t get a job. 

No idea who we would end up with if we ditched Southgate. I think they would insist on the person being English as well, so it would probably be a young manager or someone from the second tier. 

Steve Cooper is the obvious choice, given his FA background.

Not even remotely worried about England coming for him. He's a manager who seems to thrive in the day-to-day stuff, building a squad, preparing for each fixture in ridiculous detail and training his squad each day.

Managing a country seems like the exact gig he would never ever even consider. A game or 2 every 3 months? Fuck that :lol:

1 minute ago, BonesJones said:

He's basically won the lottery in terms of being a manager.

A club that's been stripped to the bare bones, with effectively a bottomless pit of cash. Dream football manager career anyway.

Not worried about England calling.

Well, not a bottomless pit of cash, at least not yet. They need to build up sellable assets and rake in sponsorship money. They do, however, seem to have a bottomless pit of cashflow which is good. I'm not worried either about England. He has a great setup here.

Yeah, I can't see Eddie being interested in the England job at this stage. He's in the middle of a strong personal mission with our club, and would be eager to see it through. Maybe later on, when he feels he's achieved all he can in club management.

Additionally, his style of management involves developing a close relationship with his players and steadily enhancing individual performances. A national team manager doesn't really get the chance to do that.

I'm not sure who the FA might go for after Southgate. He's laid down a new template. After the ill-fated experiments with managers from abroad, they will be keen to appoint someone who is thoroughly at home with the culture of English footballers. Looking at the Premiership table, there is only one British manager in the top 12 clubs - our man - so if we exclude him there's nobody making out a strong case. I'm not convinced about promoting someone from within the current England structure, as I think top players really want to see someone who has already proved themselves within the same environment as them. That promotion worked with Southgate, but he had a good, long playing career at the top level, which included 57 caps. He had that credibility.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, I can't see Eddie being interested in the England job at this stage. He's in the middle of a strong personal mission with our club, and would be eager to see it through. Maybe later on, when he feels he's achieved all he can in club management.

Additionally, his style of management involves developing a close relationship with his players and steadily enhancing individual performances. A national team manager doesn't really get the chance to do that.

I'm not sure who the FA might go for after Southgate. He's laid down a new template. After the ill-fated experiments with managers from abroad, they will be keen to appoint someone who is thoroughly at home with the culture of English footballers. Looking at the Premiership table, there is only one British manager in the top 12 clubs - our man - so if we exclude him there's nobody making out a strong case. I'm not convinced about promoting someone from within the current England structure, as I think top players really want to see someone who has already proved themselves within the same environment as them. That promotion worked with Southgate, but he had a good, long playing career at the top level, which included 57 caps. He had that credibility.

You forgot Potter, but he's not going to go with the wages he's on and the compensation that will be involved. I agree about Howe, he's not going to be interested due to the very reasons you state. Rogers maybe an option. 

15 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You forgot Potter, but he's not going to go with the wages he's on and the compensation that will be involved. I agree about Howe, he's not going to be interested due to the very reasons you state. Rogers maybe an option. 

Yeah, my error. Potter might well be a possibility, though like Howe, I think he works through coaching and an intense personal involvement with his players.

However, my feeling is that things won't work out for him at Chelsea, where not getting into the CL means failure. Their recruitment strategy feels like a headless horse, and generating team spirit in that environment would be a challenge for any manager. So he may well become available at the end of the season.

It's all academic anyway. I'm sure if Southgate feels that he still has the appetite for another spell, the FA will give him the chance. Given the youth and potential in the squad, he'll be very reluctant to walk away from the challenge.

Thought Cooper was Welsh for some reason. 

Not that that would stop the FA for going for him, just that maybe he wouldn’t want it. 

Edited by LV

34 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Wonder if they'd make a statement appointment and give it to Sarina Wiegman?

According to much of your media, sounded like you HAVE to have an English person be manager 

It didn’t really work having a foreign manager in charge, to be fair. The media disconnect translated to negativity which permeated the squad and performances. Didn’t help that Capello’s English was shit.

Not an exclusive thing to England, either. A British coach would never be accepted as manager of Spain, Italy or Germany.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

It didn’t really work having a foreign manager in charge, to be fair. The media disconnect translated to negativity which permeated the squad and performances. Didn’t help that Capello’s English was shit.

Not an exclusive thing to England, either. A British coach would never be accepted as manager of Spain, Italy or Germany.

Think Holland and Portugal would have taken Sir Bobby in? I think if it's a manager who knows the league they'd be fine. Not sure about another Sven or Capello though.