Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

14 hours ago, Miercoles said:

Listening to the True Faith podcast just now and one lad said without the World Cup we'd be 1st by Christmas, just because of the momentum and how unstoppable we look at the moment.

Not saying he's wrong like, we do look amazing and it's a shame to walk away from the table on a heater, but I feel that's missing a key element which is the Eddie Howe factor. One of the huge strengths of this team is the manager and his preparation and training with the players, so giving us an extra six weeks to train and prepare for the second half of the season is a huge advantage over the teams with managers who will spend the break dicking around on yachts in the Mediterranean.

Eddie might not want this break, but I guaran-fucking-tee you he will be squeezing full value out of every second of it.

If the players get two weeks off to rest and recover, you know wor Eddie will give himself about a day and a half to hug his family and then he'll be digging out his old Bournemouth tapes and getting us ready for the cup game in December.

Also, it sucks to be Bournemouth because where other teams might be business as usual in the lower leagues or have half their squad away for the world cup, they'll be up against a side of absolute murderers trying to win their long term position in Eddie's Newcastle project.

Great post and one I agree with.  

I think the break is a good thing for us.  We have less players going away to the WC than most around us.  2-3 won't really play or go deep into the competition, either.  Plus the way we play is so intense and we haven't been making many changes to the XI of late.    

Throw in the points you have mentioned about Howe and how meticulous he is with his prep.  Then I think whilst it is shit from a fans point of view.  The break will be positive overall. 

We'll lose a bit of momentum with the break, and of course there's the chance of injuries. 

But we know that Eddie and staff will use every moment to prepare for the upcoming games, and a lot of our players will also get recovery time. We've arranged a training camp and a home friendly... everything is set up perfectly. 

If Bruce was manager this break would be just another reason to take another few weeks off. With Howe it'll be a net positive. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Maybe its instinctively looking for something to worry about but at times I do worry about burn out for the manager as much as the players, so have come to see a virtue in the break. He's definitely earned it, though probably would rather just keep on going.

25 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Maybe its instinctively looking for something to worry about but at times I do worry about burn out for the manager as much as the players, so have come to see a virtue in the break. He's definitely earned it, though probably would rather just keep on going.

Thats the only issue I can see with Eddie long term is he'll burn out.  I think thats what happened at Bournemouth and why he took such a long break.

Longstaff. Willock. Almiron. Are some of our best with the intensity and they won't be going.

Apart from Trips & Schar - are any of our players set for a lot of game time?

We'll lose momentum but should be pretty fresh.

The WC itself is a massive thing in terms of motivation. I think all of the lads that have gone are very professional and winners. But they all had extra motivation to peform well. Because of injury, his form and the lack of form from others - Trips has gone from arguably having calls to lose his place (I know Southgate would never) in the squad - to being guaranteed to start. Wilson has played himself into the squad.

11 hours ago, Joey47 said:

Do we have the best press in world football right now? 

One thing Eddie Howe mentioned about his time at Bournemouth was having the mentality of us against everyone else. It's clear he has instilled that mentality in our squad here as well.

The first part of this thread mentions the body positions of Wood and Almiron crouched and ready to sprint. Not only are we doing everything with such immense commitment but it's perfectly coordinated down to the last man.

How many other teams have either our level of commitment or coordination? Let alone combining the two. We look like the real deal right now, we are controlling games without even having the ball. 

Eddie Howe, what a man :smitten:

Hard to find a team pressing better than us in England, as far as I've seen -- and i try and watch the teams around us a lot to see how they play (god I love football again!). I was listening to NBC coverage and they were saying it's clear to them that we're not a team pressing because our manager is barking at the players to do so, but rather the players are identifying triggers and initiating the press on their own and that's a HUGE difference to a manager on the sideline walking his team through everything -- teams who press like us are even more dangerous and tactically intelligent throughout the match.

On 13/11/2022 at 15:13, Miercoles said:

Also, it sucks to be Bournemouth because where other teams might be business as usual in the lower leagues or have half their squad away for the world cup, they'll be up against a side of absolute murderers trying to win their long term position in Eddie's Newcastle project.

If there ever was a sentence that made me want to run through a wall right now this afternoon :lol: 

I like how the media says that for every other team this world cup break is a positive, they will be able to regroup etc etc blah blah blah, but for us it's a negative apparently.

My opinion is we come back even better. We're not returning to the thought of fighting a relegation battle or the dull feeling of a midtable finish. We are in such a strong position, imagine players like Burn and Longstaff thinking they could end up playing in the CL with their home town club. Wilson will be desperate to play European football in the same way he wanted to go to the world cup so badly.

The list of positives goes on but just the fact they have something special to play for will push them on!

I can't be arsed with this WC though, it doesn't feel like the real tournament and I'm pissed we have to wait for our next game as every week is just so fun looking forward to games and then enjoying the result.

23 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

Thats the only issue I can see with Eddie long term is he'll burn out.  I think thats what happened at Bournemouth and why he took such a long break.

Hmmm I’m not sure.

I think at Bournemouth he burnt out because he was trying to do everything on a budget and they did not have the infrastructure and staff to help him achieve the standards he set himself like we will have at the club soon. 

That’s my take on it anyway. 

31 minutes ago, LV said:

Hmmm I’m not sure.

I think at Bournemouth he burnt out because he was trying to do everything on a budget and they did not have the infrastructure and staff to help him achieve the standards he set himself like we will have at the club soon. 

That’s my take on it anyway. 

Aye there was nowhere else he could go with Bournemouth. They'd peaked as a club. Getting them top half in one of the years and normally being comfortably safe (until the last season) is incredible. Was only the broken goalline technology in that Sheff Utd v Villa game that sent them down too.

He said in that interview with Jake humphrey that he's a lot more conscious now about burning out and that he knows when to switch off at home with his family etc. 

I think this break will be great for him, it'll give him and the club a chance to overlook everything and really spend some time looking at players who we want to bring in. 

Also I keep thinking over the next 2 or 3 years we may see the end for Klopp and Pep. If those clubs get their next appointment wrong it will give us a massive advantage. 

Edited by Scotty66

11 hours ago, jack j said:

Wonder if he's giving himself a few days off

Bet he's doing something football related though...

Press conference I saw said he was going to spend sometime with his family, so hopefully he's enjoying that. I think the players have a two week break before they're back, though I'm sure Eddie and the staff will be back before then plotting the next steps. 

6 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Feels almost impossible just given Don died at 80 in 2015, would have been an old father to a new born.

Would have been 42, definitely not out of the question. However I don't think it's true. 

Didn't know where to put this and apologies if covered. Have enjoyed their solo deep dive pieces on us and in general but guess this is there podcast? Very poor from them who seem to suggest it's all just luck and not really showing any complex or anything tactically astute. I know I shouldn't be sensitive but feel should be credit where credit is due and its not a fluke or a ride your luck kind of form commentary like this just seems bitter.