The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Now this is interesting, since Howe came in, we're averaging 1.5 points per game against non big 6 teams, which would give us 15 points in the remainder of the season, putting us on 30 points, thats without the additions and with a shite defense. 

FKl9XC8XEAEMHmz?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by 54

Had a little look at 2018-19 as we had a similarly awful start to the season then, and did just as dismally in the cups. We had a 3 game winning streak in November (Watford at home, Bournemouth at home, Burnley away) but then after went on a run of 1 win in 9. That was up to matchweek 22, matchweek 22 for us this season is Everton on Tuesday. Big if, but if we can beat them and Villa at home, there's 3 back to back wins a la 2018-19. If we can do that we're only 1 win behind 2018-19 at the same stage, a season where we finished 13th on 45 points, 11 clear of 18th. Which was also after a January where we brought in a signing which transformed the mood around the club just as well as the team.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

With the squad we have, in comparison to the others at the bottom of the table, the game tonight should be irrelevant.

We should survive. Anything else would be a disaster from Howe.

But I thought you said Targett, Wood and Burn where no better then what we had? ;) 

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

But I thought you said Targett, Wood and Burn where no better then what we had? ;) 

Which is completely correct. Our squad was good enough to stay up with what we had, in comparison to the other teams.

The addition of Trippier and Bruno makes that gap wider.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Which is completely correct. Our squad was good enough to stay up with what we had, in comparison to the other teams.

The addition of Trippier and Bruno makes that gap wider.

I was kind of just taking the piss, but I actually completely disagree with that bit in bold. We easily had one of the worst squads in the league.

If the rumours that Wilson has had an injury setback which puts his comeback at mid-March now, that's a serious blow. We really need him for the more winnable fixtures, and some of the more crucial ones are in the next month or so.

Just now, 54 said:

I was kind of just taking the piss, but I actually completely disagree with that bit in bold. We easily had one of the worst squads in the league.

Watford, Burnley, Brentford and Norwich all have worse squads to name four straight off the bat.

As has been said many times, the last two years the same people who are now saying our squad is the worst in the league, have said our squad was midtable quality and Bruce was the problem.

7 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Watford, Burnley, Brentford and Norwich all have worse squads to name four straight off the bat.

As has been said many times, the last two years the same people who are now saying our squad is the worst in the league, have said our squad was midtable quality and Bruce was the problem.

I don't know who has said our squad is the worst in the league, I haven't seen it, on here at least.  But collectively it has aged badly, and Bruce was the problem since he perpetuated it. If it was up to him, he'd still be here and handing out contracts to the next generation of good lads who are settled in the area, and would be happy to carry on even if we got relegated. 

Think the comments suggesting there's absolutely no chance we are going down are a bit far fetched. Hopefully we've done enough with signings, but ultimately we are still in the bottom 3 with our only goal scorer out injured for the foreseeable.

Saw a few comments on facebook that the Watford-Burnley result didn't matter, as we'd be safe now anyway. 

3 hours ago, Karjala said:

Think the comments suggesting there's absolutely no chance we are going down are a bit far fetched. Hopefully we've done enough with signings, but ultimately we are still in the bottom 3 with our only goal scorer out injured for the foreseeable.

Saw a few comments on facebook that the Watford-Burnley result didn't matter, as we'd be safe now anyway. 

They are idiots , we need to dance the dance now, no excuses.

That game last night has gave me renewed hope. Good result for us and both those sides are terrible. I’ll be a lot more comfortable with a win on Tuesday and bringing Leeds, Everton and Brentford closer to us

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I still find it crazy that we've won two games in 21 and we're only a point from safety with a game in hand.

This is the context many people miss when they talk about how many wins we need to stay up - there isn’t a modern precedent for how much the bottom few teams suck at playing football. For those who watched any of the Burnley-Watford, surely you’re wondering how they collect a win, and Norwich are still dire despite being out of the drop zone temporarily.

Am I correct in thinking if we beat Everton, we go level with them on points? A club almost no one is saying will go down?

Edited by Raconteur

1 minute ago, Raconteur said:

This is the context many people miss when they talk about how many wins we need to stay up - there isn’t a modern precedent for how much the bottom few teams suck at playing football. For those who watched any of the Burnley-Watford, surely you’re wondering how they collect a win, and Norwich are still dire despite being out of the drop zone temporarily.

Am I correct in thinking if we beat Everton, we go level with them on points? A club almost no one is saying will go down?

one point behind them. 

I mean we’ve been dismal so far this season and yet if we’d held on for minutes against Norwich and Watford we’d have the same points as Everton and sit four points above the drop zone. 

we have been improving under Howe and have improved the squad. We really should be able to avoid the drop if improvements continue to be made.