The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

My non toon supporting mate was pissing himself last night when I said about relegation. He said from an outside point of view there's no chance of it happening. We're playing well, look well drilled, have a decent squad and a decent manager. On the pitch we don't look nothing like relegation fodder. We push teams high and keep our shape, along with a solid defence and (fret) in attack. 

Think he's bang on tbh, it's just the bruce/mcclaren/pardew eras that are making us shit ourselves for no reason. 

8 minutes ago, Robster said:

Very good under normal circumstances but given the position we were in, it's outstanding :thup:

When I was growing up and only really knowing the Bobby years, it was just a given that we would be strong at home. We really didn't lose many at home (between 2002-04 especially, we only lost four times in 38 home games). I grew up assuming that NUFC was seriously fucking difficult to get points off at SJP, which is why it felt like such an affront losing at home to shite in the Souness, Roeder, Allardyce years, until the feeling of a fortress became a distant memory. 

If we're going to progress then we're going to have to make SJP something like a fortress again, certainly against anyone from 7th downwards. Howe's already making great strides where that is concerned. Just need to keep the momentum built from the takeover happening.

46 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

My non toon supporting mate was pissing himself last night when I said about relegation. He said from an outside point of view there's no chance of it happening. We're playing well, look well drilled, have a decent squad and a decent manager. On the pitch we don't look nothing like relegation fodder. We push teams high and keep our shape, along with a solid defence and (fret) in attack. 

Think he's bang on tbh, it's just the bruce/mcclaren/pardew eras that are making us shit ourselves for no reason. 

He's absolutely correct. In the last 16 weeks or so, the only time we've looked remotely like a relegation threatened team was for 45 mins against Spurs.

41 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

When I was growing up and only really knowing the Bobby years, it was just a given that we would be strong at home. We really didn't lose many at home (between 2002-04 especially, we only lost four times in 38 home games). I grew up assuming that NUFC was seriously fucking difficult to get points off at SJP, which is why it felt like such an affront losing at home to shite in the Souness, Roeder, Allardyce years, until the feeling of a fortress became a distant memory. 

If we're going to progress then we're going to have to make SJP something like a fortress again, certainly against anyone from 7th downwards. Howe's already making great strides where that is concerned. Just need to keep the momentum built from the takeover happening.

Good signs last night as 6 months ago the atmosphere would have turned toxic after 30 mins. I say it all the time our fanbase is a godsend when content-delighted. They're our worst enemy when the mood is hostile.

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

What’s interesting about the Everton stuff is that, really, as somebody without Twitter, I’m largely unaware of this supposed animosity towards us. I like Rafa but I can’t truthfully say I felt wounded on his behalf and honestly I could see why their fans didn’t want him the first place. I have always found them largely inoffensive as a fan base and like Goodson Park. And yet I am desperate for them to go down. Lampard is a cunt but the main reason is just how funny it would be.

Basically I am the rest of the country, it’s 2009, they are Newcastle United. I am a massive hypocrite and I simply do not care. 

I personally think it's just natural to laugh at a club of a similar stature to yourself going down. I would've laughed at Villa had we not gone down with them, I'll laugh if Everton or Leeds go down and I would it if it was someone like West Ham.

Fans of all of the above would do likewise again if it were us.

I don't think a fan outside of Norfolk gives a single shit about Norwich going down, same could be said of Fulham coming back up, it's simply not a story as it's happened before and people expected it. Everton going down would be huge, the scale of it, the surprise of it and the possible consequences to a genuinely massive club. Said it before but they remind me of us back in 2009 and it wouldn't surprise me if rival fans act exactly like Villa fans did for their (horrendous) run in. 

In my 1st year of supporting us where I was able to look at the table and determine the meaning of it, I was wanting West Ham to go down. That is when they went down with a record points total.

A year or so later I wanted Leeds to go down when they were in trouble, I was disappointed they got a result against Arsenal the season before to stay up. I also wanted them down when they were in trouble in the Championship.

Villa I wanted down and we all saw it coming for a few years.

22 minutes ago, midds said:

Said it before but they remind me of us back in 2009 and it wouldn't surprise me if rival fans act exactly like Villa fans did for their (horrendous) run in. 

Assuming it goes to the final day of the season and they go down, they are away to Arsenal. I can’t see the Arsenal fans making any sort of noise/atmosphere at all, they are so placid.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

In my 1st year of supporting us where I was able to look at the table and determine the meaning of it, I was wanting West Ham to go down. That is when they went down with a record points total.

A year or so later I wanted Leeds to go down when they were in trouble, I was disappointed they got a result against Arsenal the season before to stay up. I also wanted them down when they were in trouble in the Championship.

Villa I wanted down and we all saw it coming for a few years.

You want to save stories like that for your memoirs, mate.

On 07/04/2022 at 08:47, gdm said:

They have plenty reasons to impress the guy that is about to be appointed. Also they are very much in the fight for too 4. What are you on about? :lol:

I wonder if the new guy is impressed after this toothless display 

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

I wonder if the new guy is impressed after this toothless display 

You also thought we wouldn’t win another point. We were both wrong eh

Think this weekend could give a body blow to Burnley. They must have thought after beating Everton that they’d found a way out of it. Now we’ve won, Everton have won, Leeds have a good chance of pulling away and all of a sudden Norwich away becomes a bit tougher.

The only thing that last night's and today's result changes is, it's now two from Man United, Wolves, Everton and Burnley for those two Europa Conference League spots.

Edited by TBG