Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

27 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The thing about Saudi is they’ve been quiet again like in January. Maybe they’ve realised as soon as Ronaldo retires the league is totally irrelevant and given up?

Nah, I think they knew from the off. It’s a long term plan for them. They want to have competitive and eventually sustainable teams. They have a big population, with more and more younger people expected in the next few decades.

As it’s already been said, just giving people shops to buy things in isn’t enough. There is only so many Gucci headbands you can wear. They need to give people entertainment and leisure.

They may not create the Middle Eastern Real Madrid, but if they could have an MLS, I’m sure they would be very happy.

8 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

More to this than meets the eye with various rumours around him. No point keeping someone around who's deperately unhappy no matter how professional they may try to be, their performances will suffer.

That's fair enough but from a squad building perspective we loan out a first-team ready player and either don't replace him or we have to spend more than the loan brings in on a replacement? First option undoubtedly weakens the squad, the second potentially eats into our budget for CB/RW. It's poor business if we can't even get a loan fee or obligation at the end of it in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, KaKa said:

From what I recall Tino had come in and was doing well and Krafth was back from injury.

I remember thinking we should sell as it just felt like the right time, as the money was good, and it would have been a fantastic club for him to join, especially with Kane there.

I think the quality of the decision not to sell depends on two main things:

1) What the club knew about how long term his problems were going to be (weren't him and his wife having lovey dovey photos on holiday together in January?).

2) What the deal offered was. A lengthy story came out soon after the rejection saying their maximum offer was approx. £6m, with the first bids being a freebie and £2m. Which was insulting, if true. 

I was open-minded on selling him - leaning towards a yes due to finances - but that story painted a different picture of negotiations.

10 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I know we are bad sellers but surely we can find someone to buy a current England international?😂

Our luck is amazing really, isn't it.

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'd still be a little bit surprised if he leaves. As recently as at the weekend, all seemed OK and according to some of his family they're all still settled up here.

I know earlier in the summer Villa had enquired about him but it was knocked back, as did a French team (think it might have been Nice). At that time, at least (around the end of the Euros), he wasn't interested in leaving.

But obviously you don't know what goes on behind closed doors and whether the outward show is very different to the reality. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

But obviously you don't know what goes on behind closed doors and whether the outward show is very different to the reality. 

I think that could very well be it.

41 minutes ago, 54 said:

People saying we shouldn't have turned down the Bayern bid do remember how absolutely fucked our injury crisis was in December and January right? We'd have been mental to sell him at the time, and would have caused uproar if we did given the situation we where in :lol: 

And the fact that he obviously wanted to go to KSA anyway for one last payday.

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

He cost 1m :lol:  

low cost low risk. 

I was hearing £4.5m a couple of days ago on one of the podcasts but if it was £1m then obviously that's nominal.

On 17/05/2024 at 07:05, Dr Venkman said:

He’ll be away, I’m convinced. Not happy about it as I’ve loved watching him play for us.

Everything I was told was the same as Lovejoy's info, which came (to me) via KT's ex-wife.

34 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What's a realistic fee, now he's in the last year?

Maybe £5 million?

Would rather keep him. Worth more to us as a backup than selling for some nominal fee:

Edited by The Bonk

10 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I don’t think you can realy keep a player who wants to leave really. That being said I’m sure Howe knows to handle it.

Guehi seems to be doing fine 

It's a shame but it was clear something changed in him in December/January last year, his sudden drop off in form was almost as seismic as Joelinton's improvement.

His contribution to our attack will be very difficult to replace. I like Tino but he's not as consistently effective going forward, so this leaves our right hand side looking pretty impotent. 

37 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'd still be a little bit surprised if he leaves. As recently as at the weekend, all seemed OK and according to some of his family they're all still settled up here.

I know earlier in the summer Villa had enquired about him but it was knocked back, as did a French team (think it might have been Nice). At that time, at least (around the end of the Euros), he wasn't interested in leaving.

But obviously you don't know what goes on behind closed doors and whether the outward show is very different to the reality. 🤷‍♂️

maybe he’s had conversations with Howe about expected playing time and Bruno getting the captaincy. The article from Ornstein specifically mentions playing time 

19 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Everything I was told was the same as Lovejoy's info, which came (to me) via KT's ex-wife.

Loose lips sink ships (and careers…)

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

It's a shame but it was clear something changed in him in December/January last year, his sudden drop off in form was almost as seismic as Joelinton's improvement.

His contribution to our attack will be very difficult to replace. I like Tino but he's not as consistently effective going forward, so this leaves our right hand side looking pretty impotent. 

Tino is a different style, more of a break and drive style. Hopefully he learns to take on some of the positions Trippier did to take advantage of. However last week it was Hall given the task of pushing right up and Burn pulling over to cover as a 3.

54 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Last I heard the Tripps kids weren’t expected back at their usual school in Sept

Family box at SJP hasn’t been taken this season

House up for sale (although I know it’s been said they’ve bought another round Morpeth way)

Creates the impression that summats up behind the scenes