Sven Botman set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

11 minutes ago, greydos said:

It’s like asking Floyd Mayweather “couldn’t you have beaten Manny Pacquiao 5 years earlier” or asking Lennox Lewis “why didn’t you fight Tyson in 1995?” 

Tyson Fury thanked Deontay Wilder as you need a “good dance partner” to get a good boxing match on. Transfer negotiations between two teams seems similar to me. There’s little point criticising the club as though it is solely responsible for the timing of deals. The club’s doing its best, which is better than the last regime would have done. Let’s be patient but support the new regime. 

It's not same thing at all. I understand that you can't negotiate way way too early, obviously. Because too much can happen between then and when the window opens. 

For example how Everton did with their new LB. 

Edited by Ikon

I guess what is often the case is that discussions take place between clubs and agents for a few months before the start of a transfer window.

The iffy thing here is that if the selling clubs are not actively trying to flog their player there's nothing in it for them at all to agree to a transfer well before the window opens.

Add our situation and league position to the mix and 99.9% of all clubs will take their chances at taking us to the cleaners during the window.

It's a horrible situation to be in and one where the new owners are trying to do good by the club and the supporters. We will probably end up paying a bit too much for most of the transfers during January because of this as well. But that is a risk worth taking.

What irks me more though is the noises coming out in regards to keeping to the "old" wage structure. It doesn't tally with ambitious buys to take the club forward at all.
Which incidentally probably means it's hopefully not true. :D 

Have Lille actually set a price on Botman? I keep hearing £40m but not sure if that's just speculation from elsewhere, it seems they don't actually want to sell, and that's their official position. 

But if they have said the price is £XXm, then we can just pay it and get it done. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Have Lille actually set a price on Botman? I keep hearing £40m but not sure if that's just speculation from elsewhere, it seems they don't actually want to sell, and that's their official position. 

But if they have said the price is £XXm, then we can just pay it and get it done. 

Was their price not something daft like 70m?

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

It's not same thing at all. I understand that you can't negotiate way way too early, obviously. Because too much can happen between then and when the window opens. 

For example how Everton did with their new LB. 

Everton got their new LB because the selling club was fine working the deal prior to January and likely got their fee they wanted. 

Lille is not a willing seller and has done everything in their power to slow this down and stretch the last bit of money they can. 

4 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

Was their price not something daft like 70m?

It does ring a bell, but I've got a feeling they haven't said a price at all, if they are saying they don't want to sell, why would they put a price on him? 

Wouldn't usually say it, but fuck it, pay them what they want ASAP. 

Get it done and move on. 

The owners knew the state we were in when they bought us, I'm sure theyre under no illusions about what's needed. We've got a chance to be more desperate by this time next week, probably add another 10 million if its not sorted by then :lol:

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Lille are playing games here.. if we go in with £45m today.tomorrow the price will be £55m

Aren't they in financial difficulties though? At some point they will have to sell, I guess it just comes down to what they think he's worth. I was reading that they think they might be able to get more for him in the summer. 

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

If you were buying a house and the sellers kept upping the number by 5 grand every time you’d offered what they initially wanted, you’d tell them to get fucked.

We don’t know that’s what is happening though? 

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Everton got their new LB because the selling club was fine working the deal prior to January and likely got their fee they wanted. 

Lille is not a willing seller and has done everything in their power to slow this down and stretch the last bit of money they can. 

We have put two bids in for him so far. As far as from what i've read Lille haven't "slowed" it down so im not sure what you base this on. Have they said that they dont want to sell, yes, and have they asked for much money yeah. Them rejecting our two offers is a different thing. Not read anything anywhere about them taking ages to respond to our offers, nor have i read that Lille have said that  they want this sum of money, with us accepting terms only for them to move the goal posts.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

If you were buying a house and the sellers kept upping the number by 5 grand every time you’d offered what they initially wanted, you’d tell them to get fucked.

You'd probably have more leeway if the cost of the house barely dented your finances and you were currently living in a tin shack that was on the verge of collapse...

I do see your point though and we can't have clubs completely take the piss like. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

We don’t know that’s what is happening though? 

Exactly, so im not sure why people say that Lille are moving the goal posts. People want to point fingers at Lille, but none of us know, neither has it been said from a reliable source that they keep changing the terms.

Edited by Ikon

Aye, didnt they initially apparently  quote 60 million or something? If that's the case it seems we're haggling with them which makes sense and explains the time it's taken. 

Again though, that's based purely on speculative reports.... So fuck knows whats going on but it's got as much credence as those saying they're moving the goalposts. 

Edited by Wilson

Guest Biggsbond14
12 minutes ago, RS said:

Weigh over. Ashley blew £40m on someone who’s had half a dozen good games for us!

Yeah and everyone going overboard about him and can’t shoot and only thing he can do is pick out a pass sometimes but not a killer one 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

We have put two bids in for him so far. As far as from what i've read Lille haven't "slowed" it down so im not sure what you base this on. Have they said that they dont want to sell, yes, and have they asked for much money yeah. Them rejecting our two offers is a different thing. Not read anything anywhere about them taking ages to respond to our offers, nor have i read that Lille have said that  they want this sum of money, with us accepting terms only for them to move the goal posts.

You asked about pre January signings, so I answered that on The Everton fullback mate. 

Lille don’t appear to be open to selling, various reports have said we’ve bid what they asked and they’ve been coming back with different requests and structure. Pre weekend apparently we bid exactly what they asked for. It appears a seller is not willing or that desperate to get rid or the deal would have been done.