More transfer rumours

midds

33 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Seems a strange one tbh, do we need another cb/rb? A nice back up option to Trippier sure, but I’ve always maintained that you don’t buy players to be back-ups; you buy improvements. It’s the one thing about Rafa’s transfer dealings that frustrated me.

Aye, I'm sure Rafa himself was loving the business he got to do while managing here. Jesus fucking Christ. :lol:

1 minute ago, TRon said:

This sort of signing will look a lot better once we actually get the forward positions sorted this summer. If we got a decent striker and RW then these will be seen as great future prospects.

Yeah, I agree. It's the kind of signing I love tbh. It's such a sneaky good pickup. 

When he came into their first team under Mourinho, he looked a really good prospect. Very strong, aggressive and quick defender that played with a lot of energy.

He's just got lost in all of the changes at Spurs recently with managers coming in and out and a number of centre backs coming in.

Just now, McCormick said:

True (and I loved Rafa) but I believe you’re always better off in the long-run spending your limited resources on quality rather than quantity. Buying back-ups (especially older ones) just gives you a problem later on as it’s difficult to shift bit-part players. Like Kaka said, if you are buying a back-up it should be a prospect that you can develop and ease into the first team as your current options age.

Isn't that why Rafa left? We are currently trying to shift half a dozen championship players who were given extended contracts because it was cheaper than buying upgrades fit for the Premier. I guess we figured if we could get the best 2nd tier players and manage them well enough, we would have a chance of escaping relegation with a bit of luck. That was just the way we operated.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

City have raised 40 million this summer through selling Bazunu, Pedro Porro, CJ Egan-Riley, Ko Kitaru, Dark Gyabi and Romeo Lavia. I had genuinely never heard of any of them.

Fucking who!!?? [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

True (and I loved Rafa) but I believe you’re always better off in the long-run spending your limited resources on quality rather than quantity. Buying back-ups (especially older ones) just gives you a problem later on as it’s difficult to shift bit-part players. Like Kaka said, if you are buying a back-up it should be a prospect that you can develop and ease into the first team as your current options age.

Which player of quality could he buy with that tenner though?? 

@Rich read my post above. Wasn’t meant as a dig, I loved Rafa but we were spending actual money on Grant Hanley and Murphy (st) as back-ups? Worked out well enough in the short-term but they were stop-gaps that had to be discarded almost immediately after promotion. I much preferred the model we had under Carr and, promisingly, it’s looking like we’re employing a turbo-charged version of that model now.

It was just a mad thing to say when we all know the context of his time here, that's all. He was always fighting to try and get signings to improve the first team and even made the likes of Kenedy into someone who was a massive difference-maker during his first spell. Anyway, onto present day... we surely aren't getting another defender? Even though I do like a bit of Tanganga.

A young RCB to compliment Botman is certainly on the list but also most certainly far below a RW, AM, DM and at least one striker. 

I think Tanganga would be a neat addition given his age/potential and prem experience. However its also not beyond the realms of possibility it's more Italian press hype of a player AC Milan are getting and getting to one up us on a transfer by putting our name alongside it. 

The one thing about that model at the time though is we needed to get promotion, so there was an element of pragmatism to it. Vital we had basically two XIs in that division. And Hanley and Murphy both moved on after 1 season for only small losses. 

In the PL I genuinely don't think Rafa ever was given the funds in the current market to actually go out and sign genuine improvements.

Agree though - I don't think we should be buying any players to function as backups unless they're young players who we see massive potential for growth in.

Edited by ponsaelius

Goals are always the hardest commodity to buy. That's why however much we might like Miggy's work rate and his cheeky grin, we are unlikely to see £20m offers flying in to take him off our hands. It's also why we would always hang onto Wilson even if he's out injured half the season, because the money we would get for a 30yr old is just not worth much in today's market.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

It was just a mad thing to say when we all know the context of his time here, that's all. He was always fighting to try and get signings to improve the first team and even made the likes of Kenedy into someone who was a massive difference-maker during his first spell. Anyway, onto present day... we surely aren't getting another defender? Even though I do like a bit of Tanganga.

I’m talking specifically about the amount we had to spend in the championship which wasn’t an insignificant amount (due to player sales). We spent actual money on players like Hanley, Murphy and Gamez ffs. Our success that season was more to do with Rafa’s tactical mastery and not the quality of the older back-up buys he made imo. Yes, it worked out very well, so I’ll shut the fuck up :lol:.

In general buying older players in case your first team players get injured is just not a very forward-thinking/ financially sustainable approach though. Again, loved Rafa. 

6 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m talking specifically about the amount we had to spend in the championship which wasn’t an insignificant amount (due to player sales). We spent actual money on players like Hanley, Murphy and Gamez ffs. Our success that season was more to do with Rafa’s tactical mastery and not the quality of the older back-up buys he made imo. Yes, it worked out very well, so I’ll shut the fuck up :lol:.

In general buying older players in case your first team players get injured is just not a very forward-thinking/ financially sustainable approach though. Again, loved Rafa. 

We didn’t sign Murphy in the championship did we ?

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

City have raised 40 million this summer through selling Bazunu, Pedro Porro, CJ Egan-Riley, Ko Kitaru, Dark Gyabi and Romeo Lavia. I had genuinely never heard of any of them.

They're also probably getting small loan fees every time they loan out their kids for a year. Or they loan them out to other clubs they own for exposure.

It's basically a massive racket but is a way around FFP. 

:lol: Fuuuuuuck. Need to whip our academy and reserves into shape, man.

5peTL0c.png

Edit: Click to embiggen.

Edited by B-more Mag

25 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Murphy and Hanley both played a part in getting us promoted though, wouldn't say either of them were even close to being bad buys. Gamez you could argue, as I can barely remember seeing him play, but I'm sure Rafa bought him for more than his playing qualities. 

Sure, I get that. Suppose it’s up to how much you think the roughly 10m spent on them actually contributed to our success that season and whether or not you think 1 or 2 “quality” additions would have contributed more (2 of our most influential buys were Gayle for 12ish and Hayden for 5m).

I guess it’s pointless speculation as we can’t know the answer to that question. If you subscribe to the ends always justifying the means then fair enough. Personally didn’t like that approach at the time and think it’s reasonably short-sighted; my point is about preferring to buy players who improve the first team or young back-ups that you can develop. Anyway, apologies, I’ll stop being a bore now!

Edited by McCormick

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

They made a loss on Porro. Bought him for 11m. Just hoarding players. 

:thup: Still, it'll be nice seeing some of our academy kids either make it through to the first team or, if not, at least not have nearly all of them end up with "Released" next to their name.