More transfer rumours

midds

51 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It's Staveley who set those expectations. I still expect the three players required to be coming in. All that has been shown again, is that the reporters actually know fuck all. 

What did she say beyond we want to be pushing for champions league in X years? I don’t remember her saying we’re the richest club in the world and we’re going to spend x millions. If anything she’s consistent pushed the slow build with a set budget line. 

20 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Please don't make me stick up for Luke Edwards ffs.

Everyone's been clamouring for new info and as usual when it's not what people want and they don't get that microdose of dopamine, they act like the same broken souls on Twitter.

What he, Hope and Downie have reported is still new information and useful, it's just not decisive. It was exactly like this on here in-between signing Wood and Bruno.

Its almost as if the club doesnt know for sure yet either...

14 minutes ago, gdm said:

Thank fuck someone gets it 

Mate,

i tried to quote about people expecting too much and the budget something like at least 40 pages ago and I basically got told to go away so this is my first post since.

People are gonna believe and (imo) be disappointed when the dust settles even though we’ll have had a really good window.

wasting your time.

We’ve already had a great window in comparison to the last 13 years! 

If we don’t get a striker this year we’ll get one next year. Personally I think we need another wide man first. Let Wilson see what he can do with a manager who actually seems to understand what a proper pre-season/fitness regime should look like!

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Why did he not progress at Dortmund?

Didn't get enough gametime. Was there at the same time Aubameyang was at his best.

Ironicly he went to Dortmund instead of Real Madrid at the time because they we're known for develop young talent and give them time on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, midds said:

Pope, Trippier, Targett, Botman, Bruno plus arguably Burn is half a new team bought within the first year. That's incredible and a million miles away from what we've had. 

People need to chill the fuck out a bit and appreciate what's happening here. Not all positions can be fixed instantly, it's going to take a few years. Fucking greedy cunts man. Everything! Right now!

Totally agree with this. Feels like there are people, both in here and on Twitter, who seem determined to spoil what is the most fun couple of transfer windows we have had in more than 14 years.

17 minutes ago, Sean said:

No you just chat shit tbh

The irony :lol:

my only point was Luke was right in that other journalists have said there is a strict budget. That’s factually accurate. I haven’t said the budget is true. I think it might be but obviously hope it’s not. 

Edited by gdm

10 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Totally agree with this. Feels like there are people, both in here and on Twitter, who seem determined to spoil what is the most fun couple of transfer windows we have had in more than 14 years.

I've seen it on Twitter, but I've not seen many making demands in here. There have been discussion over what we think the budget is, over positions we think we need to strengthen and the players that have been linked with, but I've only seen one poster who thinks we'll go absolutely nuts.

Edited by The Prophet

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Mate,

i tried to quote about people expecting too much and the budget something like at least 40 pages ago and I basically got told to go away so this is my first post since.

People are gonna believe and (imo) be disappointed when the dust settles even though we’ll have had a really good window.

wasting your time.

The irony is, the person you have quoted is going to be one of the ones who is disappointed with it

I honestly don’t think there is a “budget” per se. I think there’s a rational approach that this team needs to get better and there’s the facilities in place to make this happen where players can be convinced to make the jump. Edwards has already made a few spectacularly wrong calls when it comes to the finance side of how the owners are going to operate.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

The irony is, the person you have quoted is going to be one of the ones who is disappointed with it

No I won’t. I’ll be disappointed with an aspect of it if we don’t cover that wing position but not in the window as a whole. 

for me, the right wing is the position that most needs upgraded. Others disagree that’s fine. That’s opinions 

Edited by gdm

1 hour ago, gdm said:

The wood signing was an act of desperation after that Cambridge game let’s not pretend otherwise 

Yeah, exactly what I'm saying[emoji38]

They done what they had too at that time even though everyone knows he's not up to it long term.

That wouldn't have happened under Ashley.

Just now, NE27 said:

Yeah, exactly what I'm saying[emoji38]

They done what they had too at that time even though everyone knows he's not up to it long term.

That wouldn't have happened under Ashley.

100%

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Possibly - I also haven’t really read the last 40 pages either.

10 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I honestly don’t think there is a “budget” per se. I think there’s a rational approach that this team needs to get better and there’s the facilities in place to make this happen where players can be convinced to make the jump. Edwards has already made a few spectacularly wrong calls when it comes to the finance side of how the owners are going to operate.

No one knows their financial plans and 1 and a half windows isn’t enough to tell.

All I know is you don’t get to be worth what they are by doing the wrong thing financially so whatever the outcome I’m happy.

23 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I genuinely feel that January was more fun because it was absolutely manic and you got the sense that they could try and bid for anyone. And there were bids flying in left right and centre - due to the desperation and the short time period. This time round it has been measured, controlled and strangely sensible. So still pretty fun, but mostly for other reasons - as it's quite enjoyable seeing a NUFC team actually act professionally and with a plan once in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, gdm said:

IF big IF Luke is correct and they are talking about wether to blow the whole budget on one of those players instead of getting a couple of players in. how would that stack up? 

no matter how much we are told there is a budget people just don’t want to believe it. 

There has to be a rolling three year budget based on FFP.  You'd have to be Everton to not have one. The thing is, the hits to the budget are amortized and across several years in many cases, as are the fluctuation of income from sponsorships and outgoing player sales.  It's not set per year per se, at least that would make zero sense. It's a moving target based on these factors so yes, there is a limit but why would they say "We will only spend 50M this transfer period" when it's rolling.

11 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

No one knows their financial plans and 1 and a half windows isn’t enough to tell.

All I know is you don’t get to be worth what they are by doing the wrong thing financially so whatever the outcome I’m happy.

100% agree with the first sentence

But I’m puzzled by some of our support who think that KSA/PIF got their wealth from business acumen - I’d point to $500m paintings which may or may not be by Leonardo rotting on a super yacht and suggest that actually, most of it was entirely down to the pot luck of running a country with a shitload of natural resources

Also, Luke Edwards needs to come off Twitter.  I suspect it’s sent him crackers. 

3 hours ago, Ikon said:

Nobody did. I think he’s from Solna, or at least supports AIK. 

Aye, it's me. Isak is literally from the same street where my grandparents lived when I was growing up. 

Saw him break through at AIK at 16 years old, and took the absolute piss out of the Swedish league at that age. 

My stepson loves him as well, despite not supporting AIK, so would be great in my quest to get him to be a Toon fan. 

1 hour ago, LV said:

What did she say beyond we want to be pushing for champions league in X years? I don’t remember her saying we’re the richest club in the world and we’re going to spend x millions. If anything she’s consistent pushed the slow build with a set budget line. 

You quoted about fans lowering their expectations, I quoted you the reason why those expectations were set. You're not going to get to the Champions League in the 5 - 10 years period she said without spending large amounts of money. By the way, I think the owners are playing a very canny game and as I keep saying, I'm more than confident the positions required will be incoming and of the necessary quality. I don't take any notice of guesswork clickbait though.