More transfer rumours

midds

54 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I just cannot imagine it's very common for clubs to tell journalists how much they're going to spend?

When they first took over they were a bit more open with the press but I don't think there's been a direct quote from anyone about our transfer business for ages?

Not unless they want to give out a message to try and keep prices down. 

I doubt we have a fixed budget, we’ll have an idea of what we need and how far we can push it for the right player. I’m sure it we want to pay £50m for someone, we can. 

We can’t attract the superstars yet anyway, so it’s a bit of a pointless debate. 

I can't say I know anything about him but that's exactly the profile of striker I thought we'd be after - someone young who can backup Wilson or play out wide, but still be capable of leading the line if Wilson is out. 

Still every chance it's the selling club (or agent) trying to flush out more interest.

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Diaby bid , incoming ?

Vibes 

and rejected within 10 mins........I long for the days when it was basically just announced a player had signed.   None of this monitoring, preparing a bid,   board in full agreement shite.   

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Wonder who the backup is to Diaby. Feel like Leverkusen this window will be a little like Lille in Jan. They may play the hokey cokey a little, but they actually have no real desire or need to sell now. 

My money's on Jack Harrison 

10 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Totally agree with this. Feels like there are people, both in here and on Twitter, who seem determined to spoil what is the most fun couple of transfer windows we have had in more than 14 years.

On here ? Who ? If anything it's the opposite. Yip, good window so far but the fans and the management know there's weaknesses and they are looking to address that. If anything on here it's been very sensible with hardly anyone saying we can get marquee signings for each position of need and the bigger debate being which sole position should we buy for.

Edited by madras

Not sure my mood is wildly fluctuating that would fit the witty bipolar notion, but can’t lie… I still am hoping for a, probably 11th hour, marquee surprise. That said, won’t be disappointed with a young striker, and a wide right forward and hopefully a technical but workhorse CM. One or two on loan would be fine. 

I'd be happy with a young striker and a quality winger like Diaby, but would still feel like we had a bit of a gap in central midfield.

Unless, of course, Howe himself is happy with Bruno, Joelinton, and Shelvey/Willock as his trio, with the Longstaff brothers as backups.

I do think RW is the most glaringly obvious weakness right now and the one that will add the most to our offensive play, and both Shelvey and Willock did have some very decent games last season so possibly deserve more time to prove they belong, particularly Willock.

Still, a young striker, quality winger, and quality central midfielder/attacking midfielder and I'd probably call it a 10/10 window.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I'd be happy with a young striker and a quality winger like Diaby, but would still feel like we had a bit of a gap in central midfield.

Unless, of course, Howe himself is happy with Bruno, Joelinton, and Shelvey/Willock as his trio, with the Longstaff brothers as backups.

I do think RW is the most glaringly obvious weakness right now and the one that will add the most to our offensive play, and both Shelvey and Willock did have some very decent games last season so possibly deserve more time to prove they belong, particularly Willock.

Still, a young striker, quality winger, and quality central midfielder/attacking midfielder and I'd probably call it a 10/10 window.

Couldn’t disagree with any of that. Would be an excellent window. I do think Howe is happy with the midfield tho 

We desperately need a RW as we have nobody there who has any real quality

We really should get a CF because Wilson is made of popadums

A CM would be nice, but tbh if funds are tight I'm happy to wait as the others are higher priority

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

Totally agree with this. 

Improving on Shelvey and Almiron/Fraser/Murphy >> a top class striker and loan option

Edited by Thumbheed

PSG going after Ekitike, when Kalimuendo is similar age and outcomes in terms of goals per appearance ratio?

I know it's simplistic, but does seem odd to let one go and spend more to replace with something so similar.

A significant upgrade at RW would make a big difference but we're not talentless in that department. If it's one or the other, I'd much rather have us sign a meaningful competitor/replacement for Wilson and just let Miggy attempt to continue his form from the end of last season with an extended run in the side.

Like most, I thought the lad was done here, but I've pretty much u-turned on that. We all know he isn't the most productive but his pace, stamina and glimpses of flair mean he's still got something to offer here, even if he isn't the answer long-term. An attacking pool of Wilson, (say, for eg) Kalimuendo, Wood, ASM, Almiron, Fraser, Murphy isn't too shabby really. 

Ideally I'd love us to sign someone better, because I think it will make us more dangerous on both sides (theoretically giving ASM more freedom in addition to the new guy), but tbh I can't see us doing so unless we can get someone who is genuinely an upgrade. I can't see us adding another decent-nothing-special RW to the three we have existing, as we don't appear to be fighting-off offers for any of them. 

We are definitely lighter in central midfield than we should be. It's important to address this at some point but it feels like something you can adapt around tactically and still be an effective team. We don't need to be possession hounds at this point (tbh, I just don't think that's in our DNA anyway, as cliché as it sounds), we can be successful as a mid-block counter attacking side for the next year and achieve what we need to. Plus, if we improve the forward line, we boost the ability to hold the ball in the final third.

I think the better balance of our midfield right now against the top half sides might be Longstaff, Bruno & Joelinton, with Longstaff as the deepest mid. Shelvey is probably a smarter bet in that role against weaker mids, as his deep range can be very useful. As much as Bruno can play deeper to great effect, it feels like a waste of his talents. He should be all over the shop trying to influence matches.

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

PSG going after Ekitike, when Kalimuendo is similar age and outcomes in terms of goals per appearance ratio?

I know it's simplistic, but does seem odd to let one go and spend more to replace with something so similar.

Imagine if PSG are making a show of going after Ekitike purely to encourage business for Kalimuendo. Feel bad for the kid, but that agent would be taking an arse kicking from karma. 

I think the CM area Howe has decided isn't an immediate priority. We know from various journos that, whilst keen to add quality, Howe didn't want to rock the ship too much by adding too many players in one go. 

Botman has supposedly been the number 1 target since the consortium took over.

Targett is a good LB that also provides continuity with last season.

Pope may not be an obvious upgrade on Dubravka, but is way more comfortable acting as a sweeper keeper than Dubs. Important for the way Howe wants us playing.

Then feel like RW and backup striker are more important in the immediate future that CM. Have a feeling we may start the season with a 3 of Bruno, Joe, and Willock. Which means we have Shelvey and Longstaff (Sean) as backup. Not ideal, but when you are trying to be careful with both the budget and with how many players you want to add in one window, its something that can wait till next Summer. I also think we will see a drastic improvement from Willock this season. 

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I think Howe wants a CM and I also think we will get one. Most certainly hope so. 

I think we're more likely to sign a #10 than a proper CM. Eddie seems to rate S Longstaff, loves Shelvey and has Bruno and Joe to chose from as well. Unless someone like Willock leaves I think we'll go with what we've got in that area.