More transfer rumours

midds

9 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

What has happened to them? Aouar was heavily courted by Arsenal 12-18 months ago and I'm pretty sure Brandt was previously linked to Iiverpool.

Think they both haven't quite maintained those previous levels. Those two teams also have a lot of attacking midfield talents, and so they haven't quite had the luxury of just continuing to play all the time.

Aouar is also now entering the final year of his contract. Brandt has a couple more years left, but they're just ready to move him on now it seems, as I think he wants to be more of a key player in a consistent position.

I still like both of them a lot though, and think they'd be great for us right now, but we don't seem to be looking at those types.

Edited by KaKa

While it might not be glamorous we do need to accept we do need some 7/10 squad players, or we run the risk of been a modern day '90's boro with Phil Stamp lining up with Ravinelli!.

We're trying to improve gradually and wanting/expecting/hoping to sign the finished article in all 11 positions within a year is ridiculous. We have to accept that moving out the dross that's clogging up the squad and replacing them with a new team of better, but not exceptional, players is the priority. 

Yes we'd all love to go out and lash £200m plus on 7 new starters but it's not going to happen for very, very good reasons. Gradual and consistent improvement is exactly what I'm after and that's exactly what they're providing. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

We're trying to improve gradually and wanting/expecting/hoping to sign the finished article in all 11 positions within a year is ridiculous. We have to accept that moving out the dross that's clogging up the squad and replacing them with a new rear of better, but not exceptional, players is the priority. 

Yes we'd all love to go out and lash £200m plus on 7 new starters but it's not going to happen for very, very good reasons. Gradual and consistent improvement is exactly what I'm after and that's exactly what they're providing. 

Exactly, going into a season not expecting relegation for once is good enough for me.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Exactly, going into a season not expecting relegation for once is good enough for me.

This where I'm at too. Can't believe I'm just going to be able to enjoy every single game for a full season :lol:

Having said that I believe Howe is going to shock the hell out of a lot of people. He's going to do it without us having bought a bunch of high profile players like most fans of other clubs expected, and like so many people imagine we'll need to in order to compete for the European places. And it is all going to be very satisfying.

21 minutes ago, midds said:

We're trying to improve gradually and wanting/expecting/hoping to sign the finished article in all 11 positions within a year is ridiculous. We have to accept that moving out the dross that's clogging up the squad and replacing them with a new team of better, but not exceptional, players is the priority. 

Yep, players like Trippier, Botman and Bruno will be the exception not the rule for the time being. Players like Pope, Targett and Burn are still enormous improvements on Darlow, Ritchie and Clark.

Just the fact we probably now go into more games as favourites to win is enough for me. I'd say its basically a guarantee we bring in more players and that they will add to the team, regardless if their just adding squad depth. We're coming from such a weak position after Ashley in terms of depth, how many positions are there in the team that if X player gets injured our quality drops a good bit?

Edited by BonesJones

Despite the lack of any genuine rumours and Waugh's opinion, I think that logic dictates that we're interested and most likely in pole position to land Paqueta. It was widely reported in January that he had rejected an approach from us, so he's a player that Howe likes. Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas commented at the time on the identity of the bidder:

“It's a club with a lot of money but it is confidential”
“He will stay with us this transfer window. He wants out (to leave) in the medium term.”
“As I always say, if an offer of 80 million euros comes, we'll consider it”

6 months later, I'd like to think his best mate's success has changed his view on our project. There's no doubt that he'd entertain a move to us but he might still prefer a more reputable team like Arsenal.

Apparently the player's performance has dropped off massively this calendar year. He has mostly been playing as a 10 and at RW but most OL fans think that his best position is further back as a more disciplined creative CM, the role he played the previous season.On their forums, apart from his creative ability, most list his work rate and tenacity as his main strengths - some even claim he's better defensively than Bruno. Their fans consider him a complete midfielder but there's some criticism of his decisions and overconfidence on the pitch and generally with his mentality and loyalty this season. Apparently his body language since Juninho and Bruno left is a clear signal he's not happy at Lyon anymore and Aulas has admitted several times that he's open to selling him for the right amount.

Not a lot of teams can afford players in this bracket. There's a lot of talk about Arsenal, apparently Edu likes him but afaik no genuine reports from reputable sources. They probably hold some interest but I doubt they have another £50 million for a position which is not really a priority. 

As for us, we DO have a lot of FFP room to manoeuvre. It's absurd that we'd cap ourselves to £70-80 million or whatever the local reporters claim. It's one of our few advantages over other clubs and we'll play the card this transfer window, I have no doubt. The negotiations with Aulas will be tricky, so I think this will go all the way towards the end of the window but we'll get him.

I hope and think we should get Paqueta but I don’t think it will happen. I see it as a chance of almost punching above our weight if we get him. Same as with Bruno and us getting him in January. Too good to miss out on such a good chance. Obviously can’t pay then whatever. But I reckon 40-45m plus add one could do it. 

12 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

My workmate is a Leeds season ticket holder. He sees Jack Harrison the same intense amount as we do of any of our players. He says Jack Harrison is "shite". 

He scored in a friendly, today. But I believe my workmate as much as anyone :lol: 

Still, could come and be Howe'd into a world-beater. 

There’s people on this forum who think ASM is shite. 

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Jacobs saying we’re considering Dennis and that apparently Howe prefers him to Cornet . Interesting if true.

Out of Dennis, Sarr and Cornet who would you prefer? 

Definitely Sarr for me. 

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Jacobs saying we’re considering Dennis and that apparently Howe prefers him to Cornet . Interesting if true.

Probably Dennis because he can cover a couple of position and had a great record last season considering who he played for.

Pretty sure Jacobs hasn’t been right once this summer regarding us though.

Some of the forwards we’ve been linked with, in one place (most recent cheaper updates…):

Strikers 

Barbosa, 25yrs. 88 in 137 for Flamengo. 5 in 18 caps for Brazil. Market value £23.4m (probs add 10-15% to all estimates).

Calvert-Lewin, 25yrs.  45 in 164 for Everton. 4 in 11 for England. Market value £36m.

Broja, 20yrs. 6 in 32 for Southampton, previous 10 in 30 for Vitesse. 4 in 14 for Albania. Market value £19.8m. 

Osimhen, 22yrs. 24 in 51 for Napoli, previous 13 in 27 for Lille. 15 in 22 for Nigeria. Market value £55.8m. 
Ekitike, 20yrs. 10 in 26 for Reims, also 3 in 11 Vejle BK (loan). 0 in 6 France U20. 
Isak, 22yrs. 32 in 103 for Real Sociedad, previous 18 in 33 (in Germany mainly 2nd tier). 9 in 37 for Sweden. Market value £27m.

Gabriel, 17 yrs. 0 in 54 Santos. 1 in 12 (Brazil u15 and u17). Market value £9m.

Kalimuendo, 20yrs. 19 in 60 for Lens, previous 0 in 3 for PSG. 13 in 24 for France u17/u21. Market value £16.2m. 
de Tomás, 27 yrs. 44 in 85 for Espanyol, previous 82 in 128 in three Spanish loan deals from Real Madrid. 0 in 4 for Spain. Market value £22.5m. 

Zapata, 31 yrs. 66 in 126 for Atalanta. Previous 40 in 141 (various Serie A). 4 in 34 Colombia. Market value £25.2m.

Scamacca, 23yrs.  16 in 39 for Sassuolo, previous 18 in 81 (various loans). 0 in 7 for Italy (9 in 15 at u21). Market value £27m. 
Gouiri, 22yrs. 22 in 72 for Nice. 10 in 21 for France u21. Market value £37.8m. 
Dennis, 24 yrs. 10 in 33 for Watford, previous 19 in 85 for Club Brugge. 1 in 7 for Nigeria. Market value £12.6m. (Has played both wings as well). 

Wingers 

Gordon, 21yrs. 4 in 49 for Everton. 4 in 7 caps for England U21. Market value £18m. 

Diaby,  22yrs. 22 in 92 for Leverkusen, previous 2 in 25 for PSG. 0 in 8 caps for France. Market value £54m. 

Paquetá, 25yrs. 18 in 65 for Lyon, previous 1 in 37 for Milan. 7 in 33 caps for Brazil. Market value £31.5m. 

Danjuma, 25 yrs. 10 in 23 for Villarreal, previous 15 in 47 for Bournemouth. 2 in 6 caps for Netherlands. Market value £45m. 

Hudson-Odoi, 21yrs. 4 in 72 for Chelsea. 0 in 3 full caps for England; 4 in 9 U21. Market value £22.8m.

Harrison, 25yrs. 26 in 154 for Leeds. 0 in 2 for England U21. Market value £16.2m.

Sarr, 24yrs. 23 in 89 for Watford, previous 13 in 59 for Rennes. 10 in 47 for Senegal. Market value £24.3m.

Asensio, 26 yrs. 28 in 160 for Real Madrid, previous 11 in 90 (Mallorca & Espanyol). 1 in 28 for Spain. Market value £36m.

Cornet, 25 yrs. 9 in 26 for Burnley, previous 31 in 184 for Lyon. 6 in 29 for Ivory Coast. Market value £13.5m. 

15 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Dennis. Scored 10 and assisted 6 in a poor Watford side. Still young and can play across the front line.

Having previously not known about Jacobs reliability, he talks a lot of shite. He stated we were in for Tielemans and that Diaby was available for £35 million.

1 hour ago, midds said:

I still think there is some middle ground between slow gradual and £200 million on 7 starters 

I think that’s what a lot of people were hoping for !

As a few have mentioned they would be happy with Diaby plus a loan forward 

Or…..Paquetta and a loan winger or wide forward 

Which isn’t a crazy spend this window ?

it doesn’t have to be one extreme or another 

If A deal can be done for a 60 million pound player over 3 years (20 million a year) it makes sense 

As you technically can reduce your budget over the next few windows 

99% of deals are done like this anyway 

We have probably done this for botman , so our overall outlay in this window could be £20-£40 million so far 

Depending on the targett and pope deal structures ?

Edited by JonBez comesock

11 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Some of the forwards we’ve been linked with, in one place (most recent cheaper updates…):

Strikers 

Barbosa, 25yrs. 88 in 137 for Flamengo. 5 in 18 caps for Brazil. Market value £23.4m (probs add 10-15% to all estimates).

Calvert-Lewin, 25yrs.  45 in 164 for Everton. 4 in 11 for England. Market value £36m.

Broja, 20yrs. 6 in 32 for Southampton, previous 10 in 30 for Vitesse. 4 in 14 for Albania. Market value £19.8m. 

Osimhen, 22yrs. 24 in 51 for Napoli, previous 13 in 27 for Lille. 15 in 22 for Nigeria. Market value £55.8m. 
Ekitike, 20yrs. 10 in 26 for Reims, also 3 in 11 Vejle BK (loan). 0 in 6 France U20. 
Isak, 22yrs. 32 in 103 for Real Sociedad, previous 18 in 33 (in Germany mainly 2nd tier). 9 in 37 for Sweden. Market value £27m.

Gabriel, 17 yrs. 0 in 54 Santos. 1 in 12 (Brazil u15 and u17). Market value £9m.

Kalimuendo, 20yrs. 19 in 60 for Lens, previous 0 in 3 for PSG. 13 in 24 for France u17/u21. Market value £16.2m. 
de Tomás, 27 yrs. 44 in 85 for Espanyol, previous 82 in 128 in three Spanish loan deals from Real Madrid. 0 in 4 for Spain. Market value £22.5m. 

Zapata, 31 yrs. 66 in 126 for Atalanta. Previous 40 in 141 (various Serie A). 4 in 34 Colombia. Market value £25.2m.

Scamacca, 23yrs.  16 in 39 for Sassuolo, previous 18 in 81 (various loans). 0 in 7 for Italy (9 in 15 at u21). Market value £27m. 
Gouiri, 22yrs. 22 in 72 for Nice. 10 in 21 for France u21. Market value £37.8m. 
Dennis, 24 yrs. 10 in 33 for Watford, previous 19 in 85 for Club Brugge. 1 in 7 for Nigeria. Market value £12.6m. (Has played both wings as well). 

Wingers 

Gordon, 21yrs. 4 in 49 for Everton. 4 in 7 caps for England U21. Market value £18m. 

Diaby,  22yrs. 22 in 92 for Leverkusen, previous 2 in 25 for PSG. 0 in 8 caps for France. Market value £54m. 

Paquetá, 25yrs. 18 in 65 for Lyon, previous 1 in 37 for Milan. 7 in 33 caps for Brazil. Market value £31.5m. 

Danjuma, 25 yrs. 10 in 23 for Villarreal, previous 15 in 47 for Bournemouth. 2 in 6 caps for Netherlands. Market value £45m. 

Hudson-Odoi, 21yrs. 4 in 72 for Chelsea. 0 in 3 full caps for England; 4 in 9 U21. Market value £22.8m.

Harrison, 25yrs. 26 in 154 for Leeds. 0 in 2 for England U21. Market value £16.2m.

Sarr, 24yrs. 23 in 89 for Watford, previous 13 in 59 for Rennes. 10 in 47 for Senegal. Market value £24.3m.

Asensio, 26 yrs. 28 in 160 for Real Madrid, previous 11 in 90 (Mallorca & Espanyol). 1 in 28 for Spain. Market value £36m.

Cornet, 25 yrs. 9 in 26 for Burnley, previous 31 in 184 for Lyon. 6 in 29 for Ivory Coast. Market value £13.5m. 

Yet we still haven’t made an official bid on any of them.

Lots of agent hot air ! 

(so far)

Dennis would be the best choice out of those 3. Plays anywhere across a front 3 and did well in a very poor Watford side. Sarr would be good but would  mean we'd still need another ST.

We need to go and get Dennis and or Sarr/Cornet, just one would improve us massively imo.   These other targets seem to be out of our reach and are probably a year or 2 away from being totally realistic.  We’re still  in an Ashley induced hangover of having a bloated squad with dross on the books and an abysmal sponsorship/commercial operation which will hamper us in terms of FFP until it’s sorted 

Can't believe there's another month and a half of this window to go, sick of it [emoji38] 

Not reading much at all into this talk of our budget only being x or y, I'd imagine we'll be in for players if they are available at the right price but we won't be taken for mugs, could end up getting 3 or 4 or could just be 1 or 2. Either way the change on what we're used to with fat mike is phenomenal.