More transfer rumours

midds

34 minutes ago, gdm said:

:lol: love how every 2 or 3 days the chat always comes back round to Dennis, cornet & sarr. The same 3 players. Have we had any credible links to any of them or is just coz they are cheap?

Wouldn't say strong links to any of them. I just think they're reasonably priced, all a good age with potential for big improvements and they've all put up steady numbers in the league.

If the 40-50m budget remaining is true it improves key positions within our budget.

9 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

They know overpaying this year will restrict next summers window - when in theory the club is a more attractive proposition to more players.

It’s fine judgement between not overpaying this year vs failing to strengthen sufficiently to make the leap to European places challengers.

It's a fine line.

I guess it depends what we are really aiming for next season and how attractive that would then make us to the next tier up in terms of our transfer targets.

If you assume the top 6 is currently sewn up (obviously that's not guaranteed but for arguments sake) then you've got West Ham who seem to have invested well, Leicester without European football as a distraction & Villa who have also made a couple of decent additions. Brighton and Wolves I guess would be up there but I'm not sure how much they've improved from last season.

Currently I'd have us behind West Ham and Leicester in terms of squad quality & depth so if our aim is 7th/8th then we might have to bite the bullet and spend a little more than we are comfortable with.

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

It's a fine line.

I guess it depends what we are really aiming for next season and how attractive that would then make us to the next tier up in terms of our transfer targets.

If you assume the top 6 is currently sewn up (obviously that's not guaranteed but for arguments sake) then you've got West Ham who seem to have invested well, Leicester without European football as a distraction & Villa who have also made a couple of decent additions. Brighton and Wolves I guess would be up there but I'm not sure how much they've improved from last season.

Currently I'd have us behind West Ham and Leicester in terms of squad quality & depth so if our aim is 7th/8th then we might have to bite the bullet and spend a little more than we are comfortable with.

See, I don't actually think that is the realistic target. I think that's the lofty target Howe has set for himself and the squad behind closed doors. I suspect the ownership are realistically targeting top 10 this season, which will then position us well next Summer window, where we will have a boat load of new sponsorship income, to have a real crack at the top 6. 

33 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

See, I don't actually think that is the realistic target. I think that's the lofty target Howe has set for himself and the squad behind closed doors. I suspect the ownership are realistically targeting top 10 this season, which will then position us well next Summer window, where we will have a boat load of new sponsorship income, to have a real crack at the top 6. 

PIF targeting top 10 ?this season (no chance) 

We could of finished 9th /10th last season 

They will want European football asap 

They will want 7th this season 

Yes we will have more sponsors next season but those money could be even higher if we manage to get into that bottom European place 

if not , we are in the same position trying to attract top players without European football 

43 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's just the same names on loop every few days. Diaby, Harrison, Sarr, Cornet, Broja, Dennis.

They would be a bit underwhelming after

the names we have been linked with. But I’d take Sarr/Cornet and Dennis.

Much better options than Fraser, Murphy and Almiron. Dennis is a clear upgrade on Wood, and all. 

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

According to a fan who spoke to Howe after Mainz game he was told it’s a no. For what it’s worth of course ?

(Paqueta)

If we really wanted him 

I think the answer to the fan , would also be no 

No chance he says anything other than no

definitely won’t say …..yes / or  I hope so / we might / you never know / fingers crossed / etc 

35 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Although there is an argument that finishing 10th next season doesn't actually put us in a better position to attract our top targets than we are now. Still not in Europe, still midtable.

We also know that we can spend more than we are currently even without the increased sponsorship money because FFP is run in three-year cycles & there is a fair amount of slack in the system due to the chronic lack of spending during the Ashley years.

Put it this way - if what we really want are the likes of Diaby, Osimhen etc I don't think they're any more achievable next summer after finishing 10th than they are now, even if we do end up with a boatload more sponsorship money.

1 minute ago, JonBez comesock said:

If we really wanted him 

I think the answer to the fan , would also be no 

No chance he says anything other than no

definitely won’t say …..yes / or  I hope so / we might / you never know / fingers crossed / etc 

Brucey would have said all of those things #howeout

Looking at the positions still left to upgrade - we need a CM, RW and ST

First and most expensive choices for all - Pacqueta, Diaby, Isak (£150m spend in total)

Second choices - Tielemans, Sarr, Dennis

Third choice - Mara, Harrison, Cornet

I'd be happy with 1 from the top and any other from this list. I think the top list are all game-changers so any other combination would be fine for this window. 

My personal preference (assuming only 1 first choice and 1 from each of the others) - Pacqueta, Sarr and Cornet

If we asked about him in January, we will have some form of interest in Paqueta, but how much that is remains to be seen. A lot of the speculation is driven by fan desire, from both ourselves and Arsenal. 

As much as we jest about it, like any quality player I'd love him here but it'd be a difficult deal to do. Lyon allegedly valued him at €80 million in January. This may have dropped a little, but I can't see a dramatic decrease with it being a WC year. They know someone will pay it if he has a good tournament.

Lyon have also just been taken over by a US consortium who are giving it big licks about holding onto their best players to challenge PSG. Even if Paqueta doesn't buy into this and pushed for a move, I doubt his valuation will drop for the reasons above.

29 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Looking at the positions still left to upgrade - we need a CM, RW and ST

First and most expensive choices for all - Pacqueta, Diaby, Isak (£150m spend in total)

Second choices - Tielemans, Sarr, Dennis

Third choice - Mara, Harrison, Cornet

I'd be happy with 1 from the top and any other from this list. I think the top list are all game-changers so any other combination would be fine for this window. 

My personal preference (assuming only 1 first choice and 1 from each of the others) - Pacqueta, Sarr and Cornet

I always have my preferences on who I would love us to sign 

Paquetta , Diaby , etc 

However most of the time I am happy to see anyone come in and then back them …and judge them on performances 

I have always been like this …I can remember being 11 years old ….we had just  signed Darren Bradshaw and I was running around my kitchen pretending to be him scoring on his debut ! 

He didn’t , he was a defender / midfielder (and very average) but I was still excited to see him and see if he improved us 

I still get like that now , 

Even if he has been shit for other clubs ………I think maybe he needs to play at st James park with a club that really wants him !

Obviously down the years I have been severely disappointed

But the feeling is still there every time we sign somebody New !!

I still get the buzz when we bid for someone and it all kicks off ! 

I hope we get a couple more in …in this window and whoever they are I will be 100% behind them