More transfer rumours

midds

56 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Let's be honest, none of the signings we've made so far have been sexy - a keeper, a loan player we already know and another CB.

The ones we all get excited about are offensive players and we haven't seen any yet, after 6 months of anticipation or 12 years depending on how you want to look at it. I imagine the frustration would've been tempered if the world cup was on, but there's so little decent sport on that it's difficult not to obsess a bit.

I’d contend that Albert was about as sexy a signing as we’ve ever made. 

11 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You did enough of making yourself look stupid on this yesterday [emoji38]

Nah you just can’t wrap your head around the fact that Bruno’s a no.6 and Shelvey wouldn’t start over him there anyway [emoji38] Like we are gonna re vamp the squad during a summer window signing a new CM just to still push Bruno up and start Shelvey. Amazing.

We NeEd PaQuEtA sO ShElVeY DoEsNT sTaRt

Edited by Nine

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

Nah you just can’t wrap your head around the fact that Bruno’s a no.6 and Shelvey wouldn’t start over him there anyway [emoji38] Like we are gonna re vamp the squad during a summer window signing a new CM just to still push Bruno up and start Shelvey. Amazing.

What new CM have we signed?

Edited by loki679

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I do care where we finish tbh. I thought the January window was always going to be really tricky, but we did pretty well in hindsight. I was expecting us to land 3-4 big targets this summer though, when we would have more time to set deals up. It might still happen tbh, but I don't expect us to have a season treading water. We can't challenge the top six, but I would have expected us to be chopping down the next tier, the likes of West Ham and Leicester.

Well sure, but don't forget the likes of West Ham and Leicester are also trying to progress. 

9 minutes ago, loki679 said:

What new CM have we signed?

We are to light in CM not to sign one, what is so hard for some people to get is it doesn’t matter who that CM is (within reason) it will mean Bruno can start most matches in his natural position. 

CM and RW are the most likely signings now I think, ST third.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

We are to light in CM not to sign one, what is so hard for some people to get is it doesn’t matter who that CM is (within reason) it will mean Bruno can start most matches in his natural position. 

CM and RW are the most likely signings now I think, ST third.

But we haven't signed one.  So Shelvey is still first choice for that spot.  Which is why we're saying sign Paqueta.  So Shelvey won't be first choice.

16 minutes ago, loki679 said:

But we haven't signed one.  So Shelvey is still first choice for that spot.  Which is why we're saying sign Paqueta.  So Shelvey won't be first choice.

I literally don’t know how to explain again for you in a way that you will actually understand. The argument wasn’t ‘we haven’t signed a CM’ it was ‘sign Paqueta to drop Shelvey’ which my response was ‘any CM we sign will drop Shelvey because it leaves Bruno to start in his natural position given our stronger midfield with a new CM’. Holy fuck.

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well sure, but don't forget the likes of West Ham and Leicester are also trying to progress. 

Realistically those clubs are not as high profile as Newcastle, and are traditionally seen as smaller clubs. The main clubs in London are Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. West Ham are a tier below, and have gates to match. Leicester are similar in that they have a ground on the small capacity side compared to the bigger clubs.

My point being, they can only improve so much compared to the more glamorous clubs. Yes they are further ahead than NUFC, but I still think we will be up there punching with them if we get two high calibre forwards in. It's not the end of the world if we have to wait another season but I'm not going to pretend it won't be disappointing.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

:lol:

I do hope we sign Paqueta so that Shelvey doesn't have as much chance of starting, tbf.

I to would love that, but unfortunately that’s all the Paqueta boys can fathom. It’s really going to break hearts if he goes elsewhere. All for a few links in January and some insta posts by Bruno, it’s kind of embarrassing at this point.

Edited by Nine

44 minutes ago, Nine said:

:tino:

13 minutes ago, Nine said:

I literally don’t know how to explain again for you in a way that you will actually understand. The argument wasn’t ‘we haven’t signed a CM’ it was ‘sign Paqueta to drop Shelvey’ which my response was ‘any CM we sign will drop Shelvey because it leaves Bruno to start in his natural position given our stronger midfield with a new CM’. Holy fuck.

We could sign Tielemans, maybe someone else.  I prefer Paqueta because he's a very very good player.

What you're not getting is that WE HAVEN'T SIGNED A CM SO SHELVEY IS STILL FIRST CHOICE.

So when you bang on about Bruno being our first choice in that position and Shelvey won't play, you're assuming we've already signed someone.  The rest of us live in the actual world where we haven't signed anyone for that position and so speculate based on reality rather than whatever the little fairies in our head are telling us.

Hope that helps :thup:

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm not so sure Shelvey is first choice. I suspect Longstaff has worked his way into Howes plans.

If we stick with 4-3-3 I imagine both Longstaff and Willock will start the season ahead of Shelvey in the pecking order. Joe, Bruno, and another. Shelvey is more cover for Bruno than anything else now. 

Bruno's position is an interesting one though. As Nine says, he exclusive played as a number six at Lyon, but he's also looked very good as a number eight for both us and Brazil.

It's class that on top of everything else he has that versatility.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

There's no solid evidence we want any individual player currently. 

The ship has most definitely been shored up since Ashworth came in. Earlier on in the window it was pretty clear what was going on (Botman, Ekitike etc) now journos seem to be stabbing in the dark.