More transfer rumours

midds

I wonder if a train of thought is to go for someone like Paqueta (because we are confident we can get him) - instead of a striker?

Howe made some weird striker comments recently (ie: Wilson/Wood good enough, and we can move ASM and Big Joe there too if required)

Would make sense, also given that Anderson is coming through

Edited by arnonel

6 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I wonder if a train of thought is to go for someone like Paqueta (because we are confident we can get him) - instead of a striker?

Howe made some weird striker comments recently (ie: Wilson/Wood good enough, and we can move ASM and Big Joe there too if required)

Would make sense, also given that Anderson is coming through

I have a feeling the forwards we would like might be unattainable for one reason or another, and we seem reluctant to go down the pecking order to 3rd or 4th choice players who we might not consider good enough. It's probably a case of waiting until a really good player becomes available whatever the position. So we don't really need Paqueta, but if we can't get the striker we want, might go for him instead, assuming he would fit how Howe wants to play.

He might well believe that, but I think Howe was just saying what he has to re strikers. If you come across as desperate then you're held over a barrel in negotiations, for one thing.

Besides, whatever he does privately think, he couldn't very well come out and say that he can't rely on Wilson and doesn't rate Wood, or else what sort of message would that send?

Likewise re saying St Max and Joelinton are options, when they probably aren't. We might well not be able to get the right striker this summer, or at a price we're willing to pay, so we might well need to rely on some or all of those options for at least a while.

If so, for squad morale, then there's no point in him publicly saying he doesn't think that's good enough.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

That's what I do when recruiting, tell no fucker, so no fucker else tries to get them.  

It’s not so easy when both agents and selling clubs wants the rest of the world to know about the interest.

I think if given the choice between us and West Ham on the same terms, he would have gone there anyway. 

Not talking about Broja here but in general, we seem to either not be willing to pay what selling clubs want, or not be an attractive enough proposition for a lot of players. Something has to give before the end of the window.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I think if given the choice between us and West Ham on the same terms, he would have gone there anyway. 

Not talking about Broja here but in general, we seem to either not be willing to pay what selling clubs want, or not be an attractive enough proposition for a lot of players. Something has to give before the end of the window.

we'll just move onto the next target, not a problem.

it's like pulling on a night out, you don't go straight in for the stinkers early doors.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

The terms are still important though, and I think we can probably offer more money and wages than West Ham, Hence why they dropped out of the Ekitike race before us back in January.

West Ham can pretty much offer him a starting role in their team.

We were probably offering him back up to Callum Wilson. Unless the plan is to switch formation to playing Wilson plus another striker. 

As each day passes I become more and more convinced that we will go for Paqueta.  He is the only player that we know of, of that level of quality that would be open to the move. 

yes it might not be a priority position but we will need a midfielder sooner or later so if we can sign someone of his quality it makes sense to do so. 

i guess it just depends on the price. 

28 minutes ago, Big River said:

we'll just move onto the next target, not a problem.

it's like pulling on a night out, you don't go straight in for the stinkers early doors.

It's a slight problem though as in an ideal world you'd get your first choice targets. Not the biggest problem in the world granted.

Nice analogy though [emoji38] I don't go for the stinkers at all though!

Edited by Sean

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

It's a slight problem though as in an ideal world you'd get your first choice targets. Not the biggest problem in the world granted.

Nice analogy though [emoji38] I don't go for the stinkers at all though!

one man's stinker, is another man's treasure!

16 minutes ago, NWMag said:

As each day passes I become more and more convinced that we will go for Paqueta.  He is the only player that we know of, of that level of quality that would be open to the move. 

yes it might not be a priority position but we will need a midfielder sooner or later so if we can sign someone of his quality it makes sense to do so. 

i guess it just depends on the price. 

Honestly, I don’t see it (but hopefully I’m wrong). I reckon we’ll maximize our remaining resources by getting 2x priority positions sorted (rw and st).

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Loving how nobody in the media as a clue what's really going on..

The appointment of eales showed that.

Yeah, club controlling the narrative as they want. It's also why I'm dubious about the reported budget...why mention it at all? 

52 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

West Ham can pretty much offer him a starting role in their team.

I don't think so, very similar situation to us. Antonio and Wilson are very similar, both are very good and in an age where they don't want to be sitting on the bench but both teams desperately need another option too. Broja would be great for both of us but West Ham are playing more games due to Conference League.

Just because the media missed the Eales announcement doesn’t necessarily mean they have no clue about transfers. The Eales one was easy to keep out of the media, no agents and clubs leaking it to get a higher price.