More transfer rumours

midds

Yep, the Everton game is another huge one and I would be a lot more confident if we have 2 or 3 solid players coming through the door to start that game. Especially when we can get a week of work on the training ground to integrate whoever comes in 

6 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Don't think it's much of a problem, tbh. There are lots and lots of good players whereby coming here would be an increase in salary and not disrupt structure while we're in a dogfight. We don't need superstars right now, we just need good players. 

Exactly. Howe isn't an imbecile, he'll be wanting to upgrade to paying astronomical salaries at some point, probably wants to do it organically over a year or two though.

Bollocks to dressing room harmony like, I couldn't give two fucks if the likes of Lascelles and Ritchie aren't happy that they're on less money than actual competent footballers. They might have had an argument if they hadn't consistently put in performances so shite that they landed us at the arse end of the table. 

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Pretty much what I've been saying since 2 weeks into the window 

Oh and, 'but its not football manager Craig!!!!!!!!!!!1'

Edited by Nine

So Hope has joined Edwards in criticising the transfer strategy so far. I guess we will see over the next few days. Yesterday there seemed to be a consensus we'd see at least on signing in tomorrow or Thursday, if that hasn't happened, then you would have to wonder if they are making much progress.

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Sounds like Edwards wasn’t wrong with that article the other night then.

It’s disappointing to be right, but a fair few of us have seen this coming for weeks only to get slaughtered on here.

Only hope I have is they panic in the last few days and bring in some real quality by just going all-out.

At some point they have to make an offer on a CB that the selling club can't refuse; that's how all big deals in January get done.

Walking away is admirable to an extent but to go from Botman/Carlos to Phillips/Tarkowski (if they're our back up targets) is a big drop in quality.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Sounds like Edwards wasn’t wrong with that article the other night then.

It’s disappointing to be right, but a fair few of us have seen this coming for weeks only to get slaughtered on here.

Only hope I have is they panic in the last few days and bring in some real quality by just going all-out.

I understand that some people will be quick to defend the new regime after so many years of Ashley shit but some people just cant stand to see any criticism aimed at the owners at all, its not healthy. 

Just now, Nine said:

I understand that some people will be quick to defend the new regime after so many years of Ashley shit but some people just cant stand to see any criticism aimed at the owners at all, its not healthy. 

But surely it’s only fair to criticise at the end of the window ?

Just now, Nine said:

It’s not even necessarily criticism, just offering a different viewpoint in some cases.

We don’t all need to blindly sit here trying to convince ourselves Chris Wood is a good signing at £25m.

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

At some point they have to make an offer on a CB that the selling club can't refuse; that's how all big deals in January get done.

Walking away is admirable to an extent but to go from Botman/Carlos to Phillips/Tarkowski (if they're our back up targets) is a big drop in quality.

Yes, its not like the backup options will be cheap and their clubs won't haggle so its worth thinking about adding the difference onto the initial target in one last stand first.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

But surely it’s only fair to criticise at the end of the window ?

Those 2 points dropped against Watford are already very expensive and could be deadly by May.

It’s a fair point to make that we should have been much more organised and had deals done before that game. 

We’re also now missing out on players joining the squad for an important break. Remember how important it was that Rafa wasn’t installed before the break of games and McClaren ruined it?

It’ll probably be a good enough recovery if we have a decent CB, LB and CM by 1 Feb, but we’re again taking unnecessary risks.

Just now, Wolfcastle said:

Yes, its not like the backup options will be cheap and their clubs won't haggle so its worth thinking about adding the difference onto the initial target in one last stand first.

Agreed. I bet Tarkowski would cost the thick end of 25m at least. He's also approaching 29 years old (like Carlos) but has nothing like the same pedigree.

Tarkowski is like Lascelles with the additional ability of being able to accurately pass more than 1m.

I would much rather keep Lascelles and then get a brilliant DM who can take ball off Lascelles and move ball up field.

In other words. Dont get Tarkowski - get a DM. DM is more needed

Edited by arnonel

5 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Tarkowski is like Lascelles with the additional ability of being able to accurately pass more than 1m.

I would much rather keep Lascelles and then get a brilliant DM who can take ball off Lascelles and move ball up field.

In other words. Dont get Tarkowski - get a DM. DM is more needed

So you're thinking 

Shelvey                 Joelinton 

New DM 

I like this but I think Howe seems pretty set on playing Shelvey in the DM/QB role 

Edited by Nine