More transfer rumours

midds

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not saying it's not honest, but I disagree about it being fair. Really not sure what you were expecting in our situation. If you're underwhelmed that's fine, but I'm one of the most miserable cunts going and even I think it's goth as fuck to be like that considering who we're (hopefully) about to sign like. :lol:

You think our 5th choice centre half when we wanted 2. no left back, no forward wide player like lingard and 2 strikers that struggle to score goals is what we set out to do then fair enough. 

im delighted with Trippier and Guimaraes. Jury out on burn and underwhelmed by Nketiah and Wood is a very fair assessment 

Edited by gdm

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Am I the only one who like Nketiah? The negative becomes the postive. The tables turn.

Nketiah is better than no-one else for sure. Bit of a comedown from Zapata and the other Crazy likely un-realistic options. 

He will hit the ground running though and offer some pace and movement. Maybe he is a fall back from Lingard and we want him on the attacking flanks?

Just now, gdm said:

Fair play ma man. Agree to disagree. I feel in our position we can be relying on a punt. We need better forward options. Our only 2 wins this season have been 1-0. If ASM gets injured we are in trouble imo 

I am with you on needing better, it's clearly a difficult window to get certain players in. Added to us having money and teams taking the mick on prices, it's been frustrating at times.

In a world where there was no Ashley before, I'd say we're having a 7 out of 10 window. Post Ashley I'd say it's a 10 out 10, even trying to sign players is a improvement (if you follow what i mean with that nonsense).

One other thing as well on Wood. While a lot of us don't rate him and think as i do, that he was far too expensive, our manager clearly rates him and sees him fitting in what he wants to keep us up. We'll have to wait on see on that, and time will tell.

18 minutes ago, gdm said:

You think our 5th choice centre half when we wanted 2. no left back, no forward wide player like lingard and 2 strikers that struggle to score goals is what we set out to do then fair enough. 

im delighted with trippier and Guimaraes. Jury out on burn and underwhelmed by nketiah and wood is a very fair assessment 

I don't have the midset of 'if we don't do what we set out to do then it's underwhelming' though. I have the mindset of having gone through 14 years of Mike Ashley and experiencing all of this by comparison. The bar is low and I'll take as much enjoyment out of it as I can, it just so happens that in signing the likes of Kieran Trippier, and (hopefully) Bruno Guimaraes we've cleared that bar by a mile.

We've been close with Sven Botman, Diego Carlos, Bakker, could still sign Jesse Lingard, are supposedly trying to sign Zapata, are linked with Darwin Nunez, and others. And I hate to do this because it's often bullshit, but if Dan Burn was coming from abroad and performing well in a team with the best defensive record in the league (ie Diego Carlos) the reaction would be completely different to what it is. 

Chris Wood has a habit of going on goal scoring runs at the end of the season and I still maintain that we've weakened Burnley at this point in time. He's a 1 in 3 striker, as is Callum Wilson.

It's only Friday as well. :lol: I'm not going to be underwhelmed because of one of the 150+ players that we've been linked with this window isn't amazing, there's still plenty of time and we've already potentially massively improved the midfield with one signing, and definitely massively improved right back. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Nketiah is better than no-one else for sure. Bit of a comedown from Zapata and the other Crazy likely un-realistic options. 

He will hit the ground running though and offer some pace and movement. Maybe he is a fall back from Lingard and we want him on the attacking flanks?

I hope we aren’t going for him as a lingard back up.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I don't have the midset of 'if we don't do what we set out to do then it's underwhelming' though. I have the mindset of having gone through 14 years of Mike Ashley and experiencing all of this by comparison. The bar is low and I'll take as much enjoyment out of it as I can, it just so happens that in signing the likes of Kieran Trippier, (hopefully) Bruno Guimaraes we've cleared that bar by a mile.

We've been close with Sven Botman, Diego Carlos, Bakker, could still sign Jesse Lingard, are supposedly trying to sign Zapata, are linked with Darwin Nunez, and others. And I hate to do this because it's often bullshit, but if Dan Burn was coming from abroad and performing well in a team with the best defensive record in the league (ie Diego Carlos) the reaction would be completely different to what it is. 

Chris Wood has a habit of going on goal scoring runs at the end of the season and I still maintain that we've weakened Burnley at this point in time. He's a 1 in 3 striker, as is Callum Wilson.

It's only Thursday as well. :lol: I'm not going to be underwhelmed because of one of the 150+ players that we've been linked with this window isn't amazing, there's still plenty of time and we've already potentially massively improved the midfield with one signing, and definitely massively improved right back. 

I’d agree if not for one thing. We are in the relegation zone. It’s not a fresh canvas we need to do enough to ensure we stay up and I’m not sure we have. 

it’s Friday ma man :)

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Literally 2 points from safety with a game in hand. :lol: I'll give you this, if for whatever reason Bruno doesn't sign, I'll be right there with you singing Everybody Hurts. 

I’m not sure Dan Burn sorts out our massive defensive issues and I’m almost certain wood & nketiah don’t have the goals to keep us up so with that in mind I’m underwhelmed. 

the game in hand is so misleading when Burnley have 3 on us and Watford have 1. 

Edited by gdm

Just now, gdm said:

I’m not sure Dan Burn sorts out our massive defensive issues and I’m almost certain wood & nketiah don’t have the goals to keep us up so with that in mind I’m underwhelmed. 

Well yeah, you would be underwhelmed if that's what you have in your mind. :lol: Anyway, we'll see. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Well yeah, you would be underwhelmed if that's what you have in your mind. :lol: Anyway, we'll see. 

You think it does then? You think Burn sorts out our defensive problems? When we’ve wanted 2 centre halves and a left back? And do you think wood & nketiah are good enough? You are kidding yourself. 

as I’ve said I’m delighted with trippier & Bruno 

Edited by gdm

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

You think it does then? You think Burn sorts out our defensive problems? When we’ve wanted 2 centre halves and a left back? And do you think wood & nketiah are good enough? You are kidding yourself. 

as I’ve said I’m delighted with trippier & Bruno 

Burn is part of the best defensive unit in the league. Trippier has also come in. Add a new LB or even put Lewis or Manquillo there and of course it can sort out our defensive problems, particularly with a competent DM in front of it. 

Wood is potentially good enough for what he does well, yeah, absolutely. Nketiah has only been linked, you might as well ask whether I think Zapata is good enough on that basis. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Wood has already played a key role in securing the points we achieved in January purely down to the fact he's a CF and in the team. If he isn't in the team against Watford then there's a fair chance we don't even score as Maxi would've been up front. You don't have to be prolific to be effective; if he scores a few goals whilst leading the line and holding the fort till Wilson's back, it's job done. We don't need Cisse 2012 in that role just to stay up. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Ehhhh that’s generous like. I could equally say he lost the ball far too easily for Watford’s goal against us. You can’t class “being in the team” as a contribution, and hypotheticals about maxi up front. 

Aye come on Yorkie :lol: You are essentially saying wood played a key role because he was there.  

Wasn’t expecting us to get another striker, so if we get Nketiah I will be happy.

Obviously there are better players out there and I’m certain that if we stay up, we will attract a top striker in the Summer 

If you watch the extended highlights against Leeds, Wood is involved a lot in our attacking play and put in a good overall performance, imo. He wasn't great against Watford, though.

He is what he is for us - a rotation striker & useful plan b option. How many squads in the league have a backup striker with a 1-in-3 record in the division?

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Am I the only one who like Nketiah? The negative becomes the postive. The tables turn.

I'm happy enough to sign him, coming to the end of his contract we should get a decent deal, but he would be one for the future. By all means sign him, but we still need the finished version. i.e a proven striker with pace to keep us up.

Edited by TRon

Stand by what I said completely. Wood hasn't pulled up any trees in terms of his individual performance (in his two games :rolleyes:) but you only have to look at the Cambridge game immediately before Watford which showed how desperate we were for any competent striker, let alone one with a good goalscoring record, and who leaves behind a fellow struggling club. 

Wood at CF puts Maxi on the left and we're back to 11 men.