More transfer rumours

midds

I'm happy with the signings in isolation, but as said 

, we're so far 5 defensive, 1 midfielder, 1 attacker. We still have some huge gaps that could easily put us back in trouble (We're still pretty reliant on hoping ASM and Wilson stay right now) We need to take the pressure off those two before the end of the window. Hopefully we will. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

I'd rather have no signed Botman If that meant no money for a Centre forward or Right Winger but i think that is a load of shite and we'll still spend loads more.

I’d be shocked if don’t sign 2 attacking players 

Just now, gdm said:

Anyway you’d imagine there’s at least £40m left if we saved £10m on the keeper situation (Henderson was meant to be £20m) and Etikite was £30m not spent. Wait and see I guess 

The club seemed fairly confident they were signing Ekitike and if you go somewhere in between the 30m that's been reported and the 15m that Edwards claim, lets say that's 20m.

We were being linked with some fairly big names regardless of whether Ekitike was happening; DCL, Diaby, Raphinha for example. Let's say for arguments sake that they were prepared to pay 30m for Diaby (conservative estimate), that in my mind says we have at least 50m kicking around potentially.

Nothing wrong with building expectations based off of what our owners have said in the press, @gdm. Howe has also mentioned an iterative approach that will build sustainability and progression over a few seasons. 

Think we want to avoid what Everton have done and end up having the season they just had, scrapping survival after spending so much.

5 minutes ago, Scoot said:

If we can spend the rest on a striker or a right winger and look to a loan to buy in the other position (striker or right winger, which ever 1 we didn't spend the rest of the budget on), i think we've had a cracking window. Another central midfielder would be good too mind.

Depends who they are I guess. I’m not to fussed about another midfielder tbh and don’t imagine the club will be either. 5 players there challenging for 3 positions. I know others are desperate for another midfielder and would be slightly ‘disappointed’ if they didn’t get another. That’s all I meant. Half this forum were disappointed we didn’t bring in another forward/winger in jan despite having a great window. More than likely the same people slaughtering me now :lol:  It is early days tho I apologise 

Edited by gdm

Happy to wait and see how the transfer window pans out. I think we’ve still got a bit of work to do. 
The project was always planned to be a slow burner. The development of the training facilities, youth set up and ground capacity suggests this is just the start. 

Oh and by the way: “Mike Ashley era”. Wasn’t too long ago was it?

For once I am in full agreement with Simon Jordan’s assessment of what we’ll do. Sensible, sustained investment.

We won’t go overboard but what we’ll do is upgrade the squad in each window, it might take a few seasons but over the course of it, suddenly there will be no surprise when we’re there or thereabouts in the league table.

It’s not crazy to think that if we continue in the same form as second half of the season, or better, that we’ll be in the top 6 and within a sniff of the top 4 like several teams who performed very poorly last season were.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

For once I am in full agreement with Simon Jordan’s assessment of what we’ll do. Sensible, sustained investment.

We won’t go overboard but what we’ll do is upgrade the squad in each window, it might take a few seasons but over the course of it, suddenly there will be no surprise when we’re there or thereabouts in the league table.

It’s not crazy to think that if we continue in the same form as second half of the season, or better, that we’ll be in the top 6 and within a sniff of the top 4 like several teams who performed very poorly last season were.

It’s crazy to think that with our current attacking options though.

I don’t believe we would spend most of our budget on our defence, so I’m taking what KD has said with a pinch of salt. 

A quality RW is absolutely crucial IMO, a decent back up striker would be needed but could possibly utilise the loan market here, and then spend the rest on a CM. Go for a cheaper option unless a really quality name is available, if so see what we can do financially. 

But we cannot start the season with Fraser/Almiron as the RW options and I’m sure the owners/Howe/Ashworth know this too. 

I do feel that we will have a quiet few weeks - we’ve landed our number 1 target in Botman, our offer for Ekitike is our final one on the table so no further action from us needed on that front, he either takes it or he doesn’t. 

Think as the press have said we will sit back and evaluate the market, as we get closer to deadline day our negotiating position improves. Wouldn’t surprise me if we do sign a big name but it’s in the last week of the window. 

51 minutes ago, gdm said:

Think people need to start accepting that that is our budget. Personally I’m disappointed I thought we’d go pretty big for the wide right or forward position. Paqueta & Diaby are just a dream at this point 

No we don't, I don't know why people are taking notice of reporters for. They were spouting the same bullshit in January (£50 million budget, but actually we would have spent £120 if Ekitike had signed). If players are available who the club want, then the money will be spent. 

On 30/06/2022 at 07:29, LRD said:

Ashworth driving all those England youth recruits? 🤭

Can’t be a coincidence. Our youth recruitment has been dogshit for years.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

No we don't, I don't know why people are taking notice of reporters for. They were spouting the same bullshit in January (£50 million budget, but actually we would have spent £120 if Ekitike had signed). If players are available who the club want, then the money will be spent. 

That’s a fair point :thup:

On 30/06/2022 at 08:05, The College Dropout said:

Chelsea lads on loan in August... can't afford (or not worth the risk) a fee and wages for any of them but i'd take any of Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO on loan with a decent option to buy fee.

Except Pulisic & CHO injury record is extremely bad

Pulisic being made of glass means he probably needs to head to Italy or Spain to have a chance at a long career.

As if anyone on the outside knows our actual budget :lol: Unless we leak it to them and want them to spread false info. Smart people don’t reveal their cards.. 

7 new signings so far since January, 5 of them will be pretty much guaranteed starters (Pope, Targett, Trippier, Botman & Bruno). One or two more attacking players to the first XI and that’s a pretty big turnover and increase in quality in just two windows.

On 30/06/2022 at 13:05, The College Dropout said:

Chelsea lads on loan in August... can't afford (or not worth the risk) a fee and wages for any of them but i'd take any of Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO on loan with a decent option to buy fee.

Except Pulisic & CHO injury record is extremely bad

I'm still unsure whether any of the big six are going to sell or loan to us. It hasn't happened yet. Man Utd seemed to messing us around with Lingard and Henderson.

Didn’t Howe say something to the effect of ‘loans are useful for the right player on the right terms, it’s something we will utilise’? 

We were fortunate with how well the Targett loan went but there must be more good opportunity for loans in the PL. 

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

If the club want Paqueta (I don't think they do), it makes no sense to wait. He's a World Cup away from shooting up in value with significantly more interest.

Chris Waugh said he was liked but probably wouldn't be a target as other positions were higher priority plus he'd eat up a lot of budget.

8 minutes ago, Disco said:

Chris Waugh said he was liked but probably wouldn't be a target as other positions were higher priority plus he'd eat up a lot of budget.

That's fair enough like. We're gasping for reinforcements up top and as much as I'd love us to strengthen the midfield, we were never going to fix all of the squad's considerable problems in two transfer windows.

Edited by The Prophet

Right lads. If you have one signing left to spunk your remaining budget on, who would it be?

Your choice has to be based on who is worth finishing the remaining £35m reportedly, who can bring an immediate positive impact for the team consistently and won't be a flop?

Diaby? Paqueta? Eriksen? Belotti? Griezmann? Any other?

Edited by nufcjb

13 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Is Keith Downey at the training ground because he’s  been invited there to cover the formal announcement and presser for Botman? Or something else?

Is it usual for him to be there on a Friday evening in the close season?

Possibly to cover 1st day players return back for training.

9 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Is Keith Downey at the training ground because he’s  been invited there to cover the formal announcement and presser for Botman? Or something else?

Is it usual for him to be there on a Friday evening in the close season?

Probably because it's the first day back.