More transfer rumours

midds

41 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Lascelles got the runaround against 1860 centre forward 

he isn’t good enough 

If he’s happy to pretend he’s club captain as he sits on the bench, that’s fine.

Trippier and Wilson will share the responsibility on the pitch. 

To add to that, I think a right winger would indirectly benefit Maxi. If there's fret on both flanks, sides won't be able to double or triple on him. He's at his best when he can isolate the full back and a right winger would enable him to do that.

I am sure by time window is closed we will have got the attackers we need. Negotiations will be difficult with inflated prices, and the lack of leaks and details can feel like nothing is moving - but I'm looking forward to that random announcement that someone is about to be signed when it happens.

Edited by hakka

7 minutes ago, hakka said:

I am sure by window is closed we will have got the attackers we need. Negotiations will be difficult with inflated prices, and the lack of leaks and details can feel like nothing is moving - but I'm looking forward to that random announcement that someone is about to be signed when it happens.

The lack of information coming out of the club, compared to what it was is impressive. 

Obviously they won't keep everything under wraps, with agents and selling clubs involved, but it seems there's a concerted effort to lock things down at just about every level, with the CEO appointment, sponsorship news and two out of three transfers more or less coming out of the blue.

It’s a bit frustrating when it feels like it does now with nothing concrete. But I will just assume they are working hard on a few players that will be a massive improvement. And honestly on RW and ST I don’t think it’s the hardest. But finding players with the mentality and desire that is needed that also wants to join in this transition state probably prolongs the deals, and avoiding the now “Newcastle” tax.

I will keep dreaming about Paqueta in our midfield though :lol:.

Edited by worthy

I would love Paqueta but I doubt it. I am wondering now if they are just going to wait till later in the window to see if prices come down and focus on clearing deadwood for now.

Edited by Tiresias

3 minutes ago, worthy said:

It’s a bit frustrating when it feels like it does now with nothing concrete. But I will just assume they are working hard on a few players that will be a massive improvement. And honestly on RW and ST I don’t think it’s the hardest. But finding players with the mentality and lust that is needed that also wants to join in this transition state probably prolongs the deals, and avoiding the now “Newcastle” tax.

I will keep dreaming about Paqueta in our midfield though :lol:.

:serious:

It's interesting that in the information vacuum Waugh and Downie are claiming we're relaxed and taking a pragmatic approach, whereas Edward and Wilson paint a picture of frustration and imply that options are running out.

Speaking of Edwards, I'm fully expecting another click bait exclusive in the next 48 hours. If KI's theory is correct it'll be a positive piece to juxtapose the mood on social media.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's interesting that in the information vacuum Waugh and Downie are claiming we're relaxed and taking a pragmatic approach, whereas Edward and Wilson paint a picture of frustration and imply that options are running out.

Speaking of Edwards, I'm fully expecting another click bait exclusive in the next 48 hours. If KI's theory is correct it'll be a positive piece to juxtapose the mood on social media.

Yeah, after seeing how well they came through in Jan, which was a much tougher task, there's no way they are panicking, especially with Ashworth now on board as well.

I think they are looking to wait as long as possible to give themselves as much of a chance to land their primary targets, but will have options lined up to pivot to, if that doesn't work out. Not ideal from a pre-season preparation stand point perhaps, but if it means we ultimately get better players in, then long term it's the right move.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Opinion keeps changing on what I think we need most but leaning again towards a good striker so that we've got a good option for 38 games. If we've got that, I think we could get by for another season with Fraser, Almiron and Murphy as a last resort.

Disagree tbh, I think Fraser. Almiron and Murphy are weak links and you'll struggle to get half a dozen goals between them over the course of a season. It would be fantastic to have a genuine goal scoring front 3. Imagine a front 3 of ASM, Wilson and Diaby for example.

That said, I think we'll go with whichever genuine top class player we can get in, so if Diaby isn't coming, we might pursue a top striker like Isak.

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, after seeing how well they came through in Jan, which was a much tougher task, there's no way they are panicking, especially with Ashworth now on board as well.

I think they are looking to wait as long as possible to give themselves as much of a chance to land their primary targets, but will have options lined up to pivot to, if that doesn't work out. Not ideal from a pre-season preparation stand point perhaps, but if it means we ultimately get better players in, then long term it's the right move.

This is my opinion too.

Obviously you'd like to get the players you want early, get them a decent pre-season and be in before the first game. But if that isn't happening, they'll probably think "Well, there are five games before the window closes, we'd rather sign the player/players we really want and have them miss those five than panic and bring someone we don't rate as highly just to get an extra few fixtures out of them"

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Disagree tbh, I think Fraser. Almiron and Murphy are weak links and you'll struggle to get half a dozen goals between them over the course of a season. It would be fantastic to have a genuine goal scoring front 3. Imagine a front 3 of ASM, Wilson and Diaby for example.

That said, I think we'll go with whichever genuine top class player we can get in, so if Diaby isn't coming, we might pursue a top striker like Isak.

There’s a good chance Murphy gets us  5-6 assists off-the-posts this year! Bruno, Almiron and Wilson the beneficiaries! Wood will spoon his over the bar. Joelinton will scare the ball into the net

50 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think they offer other strengths though and you can get assists from other sources (the full-backs, Bruno...). If Wilson's out, there's no goals.

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

I've been doing the same, but I'm currently settled on the opposite.

I think if you bring in a quality RW you're improving the team for 38 games. If you bring in a backup to Wilson, you're improving the team for however many games Wilson misses. Obviously, Wilson could do his knee and miss the whole season or the new RW could break their leg in September but the likely outcome is that you're going to gain more from a starting RW than you would a backup CF. 

Check back in with me tomorrow when I'll have changed my mind and be arguing the exact opposite point.

You're bringing in a better sub who can play 30 mins for 38 games.

20 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Assume we either didn't rate him at the price we were quoted, or he wants to stay in London. 

I also think we'd have wanted a loan to buy, to keep it within our 'budget'

Just now, Holmesy said:

I also think we'd have wanted a loan to buy, to keep it within our 'budget'

I don't think it's necessarily a budget thing. I think they have their internal valuation of players, and Chelsea valued him past what we thought he was worth.