More transfer rumours

midds

33 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

What probably hasn't helped us all is the amount of names we're being linked with, the caliber of some of the players. Inevitably that's going to send us a bit loopy, before we could pretty much right off every link as bullshit, now we haven't got a clue.

That only becomes an issue if you believe everything that's written about us. I don't take anything seriously until it looks certain, the amount of utter shite that seems to accompany NUFC on social media is incredible and I ignore 99% of it. It's a cesspit.  

Guest reefatoon
9 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Signed two players since then tbf 

Aye but don’t let that get in the way of Fantails curious hatred of Ando.

5 hours ago, loki679 said:

'We lost out on Ekitike but look, here's Chris Wood!' is some pitch.

It wasn't a pitch though, he just said when you are after the top talents, other clubs will be in there as well. That was literally borne out by PSG signing the lad.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

There's clearly money there to be spent, we were going to buy Ekitike for something around £30 million, and it seems clear we would have paid similar for Diaby also.

The main issue I feel is actually attracting quality players. Ekitike didn't want to come, there's every chance Botman even would have preferred Milan (not saying this as a fact before some idiot goes all mental), Eriksen wouldn't have chosen us over Man Utd, is Diaby desperate for a move here? Probably not. Even Broja may prefer West Ham over us. We just don't seem such an attractive proposition to good footballers still.

I think that's where the drop in quality/potential to the likes of Toney and Harrison is coming from, players who may be interested and invested in our project. Not fully convinced by either, I've never noticed Harrison before, and Toney seems a bit of a knobhead (the argument a few pages back when he said he plays "nowhere exciting" and to those defending him, he didn't have to tell the guy he was a footballer, but once he did, he invited the question).

The one star player who may really want to come here is Bruno's mate Paqueta. We should be going all out for players of his ability.

You nailed it, Paqueta seemed happy when he visited.

He's sampled the crisp air.

2 hours ago, astraguy said:

selling Federico Fernández seems a massive mistake like Lejeune

I like Fede, but he's 33 now and he doesn't get a game.

I'd rather give his place in the squad to Kel Watts.

3 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I think it’s clear we will improve all positions when good value appears. We did need a new keeper imo - whether this year or next. Pope for 10 million is a great value signing.

Yes Pope is the equivalent of Man City signing Shay Given from us, even if I rate Given more than Pope. But it’s a carbon copy transfer and a good early stage one in the project 

30 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Yes Pope is the equivalent of Man City signing Shay Given from us, even if I rate Given more than Pope. But it’s a carbon copy transfer and a good early stage one in the project 

It's also a sign we will target quality and look to sign the right players if we can't get the players we need in a certain position. We need strike power, but we aren't going to sign second best options. Seems to me we would rather spend the whole wad on one player if he's a game changer. Like Paqueta maybe. Diaby would have been ideal, but not convinced he's sold on us. I'm getting Ekiteke vibes where he's using us to sound out CL clubs.

Fede's squad space has already gone to Botman. There's no point in him staying now. If he wants to stay local Boro could do a lot worse than loaning him. He'd still be good for a move back to Swansea too imo

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

:lol:

How many non-answer cliches can you squeeze into one Tweet?

Weird way to phrase the question, too, given that we actually have already signed a player in the £30-40m range this window. :lol:  Presumably he just means "another player". 

19 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Do wish Bruce hadn't managed to bin Lejeune mind. Him instead of Lascelles would be a hell of a set of 4 defenders.

I think Lascelles is an adequate back up to Schär and Burn is more than enough to cover Botman, but I suspect all will feature regularly with the 5 sub rule.

Tripps and Krafth are nailed down but I’d like Lewis to at least get a chance to play during pre season, he’s had an injury though which is why he’s not been involved as yes.

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

To go back to the Diaby obsession on social media. There is an assumption that he'd join us when he's got guaranteed Champions League football and is on the fringes of the French squad during a World Cup year. I'm not saying he'd knock us back, but I bet he'd be in no rush move.

Yup, the only reason he would even entertain the idea of joining us right now is higher wages. I probably wouldn’t leave a team I just helped get in to the CL and potentially risking a spot in one of the best squads of the WC. He’s young enough to get his big money move later.

3 hours ago, Toon No9 said:

I like Fede, but he's 33 now and he doesn't get a game.

I'd rather give his place in the squad to Kel Watts.

I get your point but I believe Watts wouldn't take up a squad place anyway so even more reason to let Fede go and have Watts as his "replacement" in the squad which then in turn leaves a free squad space.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

I get your point but I believe Watts wouldn't take up a squad place anyway so even more reason to let Fede go and have Watts as his "replacement" in the squad which then in turn leaves a free squad space.

I'm fairly sure Watts would need to be one of the 25 (he's 22, 23 in November) 

A decent right winger in and I'd be very content with the summer recruitment.  We're only going to play one up top, so Wilson and Wood would be enough for now - though a loanee as extra cover would be nice.  Yes, most seem to think Wood is shite; I don't, I just think he's a mediocre PL centre-forward; but we paid a lot of money for him, so he'll be around the squad for at least 12 more months.  A midfield selection from Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Shelvey, Longstaff looks good enough for a mid-table side too; after all, 10th or above has to be the target - the second half of last season's form is likely unsustainable.  And a try at the cups would represent real progress - no more chucking the towel in.

The most important area to strengthen over the last two windows was the back line.  We hadn't brought anyone in since 2017 - it was a shambles; a Division Two defence playing top-flight regularly.  Arguably it was weaker than the team which won promotion in 2017, tbh.  Ritchie wouldn't have been playing LB in that team.  Pope, Trippier, Targett, Botman, Burn means we've signed an entirely new back five, and Howe has improved the likes of Krafth to such an extent that I'm no longer terrified at the prospect of him being cover for Trippier.  Pope / Dubravka; Trippier / Krafth / Manquillo, Schar / Lascelles, Botman / Burn, Targett / Lewis / Dummett looks like a solid 'top half' defense to me.  The cloth-cutting in the defence under Ashley reflected where the club was - as did the paucity of talent in the club's structure; our new CEO and DoF suggests that this is also being fixed.  They've (correctly) concentrated on getting the club and team's foundations right first.  Makes perfect sense to me.

The side's great weakness is the wingers.  ASM is the only player you could say is mid-table PL quality.  Fraser, Murphy, Almiron, Ritchie are all 'yo-yo' club standard players - they wouldn't look out of place in a bottom three PL / top six or seven D2 side.  We desperately need another PL-class winger.

The usual knackers will be imploding across the NUFC-twittersphere, of course, because they've had their heads filled with nonsense about how much we'll spend (and they've made some assumptions too).  I'm willing to bet the ones with the KSA flags on their handle will be the biggest bedwetters of the lot - the 'we can spend 500m' brigade.

Opinion keeps changing on what I think we need most but leaning again towards a good striker so that we've got a good option for 38 games. If we've got that, I think we could get by for another season with Fraser, Almiron and Murphy as a last resort.

7 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Do wish Bruce hadn't managed to bin Lejeune mind. Him instead of Lascelles would be a hell of a set of 4 defenders.

You do realise Lejeune will be playing in the Spanish second division with the team that finished bottom of La Liga?

There’s definitely an argument to say Bruce was culpable in him picking up the second knee injury, but ever since then his time as a PL player was long gone.

7 hours ago, B-more Mag said:

Weird way to phrase the question, too, given that we actually have already signed a player in the £30-40m range this window. :lol:  Presumably he just means "another player". 

And on top of that the other deal we had on the table was in that region (Ekitike).

7 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think Lascelles is an adequate back up to Schär and Burn is more than enough to cover Botman, but I suspect all will feature regularly with the 5 sub rule.

Tripps and Krafth are nailed down but I’d like Lewis to at least get a chance to play during pre season, he’s had an injury though which is why he’s not been involved as yes.

Lascelles got the runaround against 1860 centre forward 

he isn’t good enough 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Opinion keeps changing on what I think we need most but leaning again towards a good striker so that we've got a good option for 38 games. If we've got that, I think we could get by for another season with Fraser, Almiron and Murphy as a last resort.

I've been doing the same, but I'm currently settled on the opposite.

I think if you bring in a quality RW you're improving the team for 38 games. If you bring in a backup to Wilson, you're improving the team for however many games Wilson misses. Obviously, Wilson could do his knee and miss the whole season or the new RW could break their leg in September but the likely outcome is that you're going to gain more from a starting RW than you would a backup CF. 

Check back in with me tomorrow when I'll have changed my mind and be arguing the exact opposite point.