Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

27 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Looks very raw this kid (is only 19), and with a bit of an edge (broken leg and jaw incoming, in next few years!) . The whole ‘no intention of signing…’ thing, despite fee being agreed, doesn’t sound great.  

I’m pretty calm about the whole thing. If it comes off, great, if not then that money can be reallocated into funding someone else, even a one year stop-gap.

I started watching the Drink It In documentary on Sky yesterday and the amount they cycled and refreshed the squad to achieve Champions League, the FA Cup and then ultimately the league means we’ll probably have to go through some short sharp iterations of the squad.

Their churning of the forward line makes really staggering reading before they hit gold with Aguero once they reached the Champions League:

08/09 - Robinho, Jo, Bellamy (£74m combined)

09/10 - Tevez, Adebayor, Santa Cruz (£72m combined)

10/11 - Dzeko, Balotelli (£60m combined)

11/12 - Aguero (£36m)

You can see similar with the midfield progression. Some weird stop-gap names in there as well - Owen Hargreaves for one.

Edited by Nucasol

A lot of the articles about him this season have praised his movement in and around the box which hopefully means he has a smart head on his young shoulders. 

If he fills out over the next few years and progresses as hoped he could be quite a formidable asset. Alway as risk that he doesn’t but you have to roll the dice sometimes.

15 hours ago, The Prophet said:

FUQZbByXEAAxFJ1.png

I assume this is from the Rheims Chairman. It does sound like many have read too much into it. I heard it as ' we've done our bit, it's now up to the player and his advisers', not, 'there's a problem in persuading the player to sign'.

I think this is going to go through very soon. We wouldn't have gone to the trouble of negotiating the fee in detail with the club, without an indication from the player that he wanted to sign.

If the player is still hoping for other options at this late stage, then maybe we should look elsewhere.

I think if the deal had hit a stumbling block, the likes of Hope would know about it by now, similar to the Emery situation. IIRC we always took a bit of time to announce players in Jan too. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Mmm, so people come to conclusions based on their thought processes ?. Yep. 

Well yes, that's how it works. But if I'm thick as fuck making random shit up in lieu of any actual info/facts, then those conclusions are usually also full of shit [emoji38]

See Burnsie and that Sean on twitter for examples.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

I assume this is from the Rheims Chairman. It does sound like many have read too much into it. I heard it as ' we've done our bit, it's now up to the player and his advisers', not, 'there's a problem in persuading the player to sign'.

I think this is going to go through very soon. We wouldn't have gone to the trouble of negotiating the fee in detail with the club, without an indication from the player that he wanted to sign.

If the player is still hoping for other options at this late stage, then maybe we should look elsewhere.

Yeah, "his advisors have not yet wished to move forward..." Loads of reasons they could still be negotiating. More ££, assurances on playing time etc. 

Doesn't even mention him. Impossible to know whether he's keen or not based on just that. 

40 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

This makes him sound like the next CR7 or something[emoji38]

The guy who runs this twitter knows his stuff though so very exciting.

I particularly like that Ekitikie is equally comfortable making runs in behind to stretch the defense and dropping deep to link play - a proper modern centre forward. He isalso very smart in his movement in the box as shown by how many of his goals have come from inside the 6 yard box. This versatility is something few other strikers in the world could provide.

Watching his brief YouTube scouting, things I notice are:

* Improvisation under pressure, including some great passes

* Great balance and able to ride challenges 

* Beats the first tackler a lot of the time

* Covers ground very quickly 

* Looks comfortable on the touchline or central 

* Looks up and down on finishing, some class ones and some lucky 

Overall would be very happy to get him in. 

One thing which I noticed when I was watching a video of Ekiteke, even if you disregard his goals, when he's doing his stuff on the ball he releases it very quickly if he spots a teammate in a better position. He's not like Maxi who wants to hang onto the ball to do some exhibition displays first.

I think this lad is going to be a player, I really hope it goes through.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

One thing which I noticed when I was watching a video of Ekiteke, even if you disregard his goals, when he's doing his stuff on the ball he releases it very quickly if he spots a teammate in a better position. He's not like Maxi who wants to hang onto the ball to do some exhibition displays first.

I think this lad is going to be a player, I really hope it goes through.

As soon as I read the first sentence I absolutely knew you would mention ASM. thanks for not letting me down :lol:

If we're paying £26mil for him the club must think very highly of him as they'll be wanting to spend what they can wisely.  It'll not be the old Mike Ashley 'punt'.

5 hours ago, Nucasol said:

I’m pretty calm about the whole thing. If it comes off, great, if not then that money can be reallocated into funding someone else, even a one year stop-gap.

I started watching the Drink It In documentary on Sky yesterday and the amount they cycled and refreshed the squad to achieve Champions League, the FA Cup and then ultimately the league means we’ll probably have to go through some short sharp iterations of the squad.

Their churning of the forward line makes really staggering reading before they hit gold with Aguero once they reached the Champions League:

08/09 - Robinho, Jo, Bellamy (£74m combined)

09/10 - Tevez, Adebayor, Santa Cruz (£72m combined)

10/11 - Dzeko, Balotelli (£60m combined)

11/12 - Aguero (£36m)

You can see similar with the midfield progression. Some weird stop-gap names in there as well - Owen Hargreaves for one.

Weren't FFP rules non-existent or being slowly phased in back then? City were able to spend far more freely and quickly than we can and could afford to take the approach you've shown. We have to box clever a bit more. We might be loaded, but we're chasing teams decades ahead of us, rich on almost guaranteed Champions League money every year and global fanbased. The top 6 are now like a cartel desperate to kick away the ladder and FFP seems a lot more serious now than it was back then.

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Just seen him stumble out The Raby on Shields Road half cut..must be happening can't think or any other reason for him being there.

Was Johnny Depp with him, asking for a friend?