Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

8 hours ago, TRon said:

Gayle might be more likely to get on the end of a through ball than Wood, although admittedly it's been a long time since we've seen him do it. 

I've said it here already in the last few days but since he had those bad hamstring injuries the guy looks like hes scared to run to me, which is a shame as Gayle from 17/18 would have been a decent option for us atm.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

I've said it here already in the last few days but since he had those bad hamstring injuries the guy looks like hes scared to run to me, which is a shame as Gayle from 17/18 would have been a decent option for us atm.

Yeah he used to be quite pacy when he first signed for us, that made him a threat even if he missed a few.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

According their Chief Executive, New Zealand only had three positive cases. He didn't mention whether they were staff or players.

Chris Wood, Chris Wood's GF, Chris Wood's mistress

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

According their Chief Executive, New Zealand only had three positive cases. He didn't mention whether they were staff or players.

Jacinda will probably have them put down just to be safe.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Really good news that, I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but we really need him going into Everton, just for team shape more if anything else.

Think at some point he'll score and then go on a bit of a mini run.

He's going to be the final point for the next month or 2 and needs support on and off the pitch. No point slagging the bloke now, he's here and he's the bloke at the top of the tree, he needs bodies around him so when he flicks it on or holds it up he's got options. He needs to be involved and needs service. The whole team needs to step it up another level, he can be a big asset but not if he's isolated, that's a waste. 

I have faith he'll come good and all the rest of it, but I was reading the Athletic's article on our transfer window and it seems like the deal to sign him kind fucked up some potential dealings. 

Operating within such an environment brought significant pitfalls, and that is even before the so-called “Newcastle tax” is considered. There were numerous examples throughout the window of Newcastle being quoted a higher price for a player than other clubs, simply because everyone knew they had wealth behind them.

The Wood deal — which saw Newcastle exercise his £25 million release clause, a new Premier League record for a 30-year-old — exacerbated that problem. “Once they paid that for Wood, they fucked their negotiating stance,” says an agent. An executive at a European club Newcastle dealt with, meanwhile, says: “When they paid that for Chris Wood, we knew they had more money than they said they did. We weren’t going to let them take the piss out of us.”

Newcastle, though, felt clubs were trying to take the piss out of them and they were keen not to “set a precedent” by acquiescing to astronomical demands now and being made to regret it during future windows.

Signing Wood was never part of the original plan. It was an opportunistic move, brought about by necessity, and generated by the toothless, embarrassing FA Cup defeat to third-tier Cambridge United. Wood, who like Trippier is represented by the CAA Base agency, was presented as an emergency option and, with Nickson long rating him, and Howe desperate for a forward, Newcastle took it. The fact it weakened Burnley, their relegation rivals, was an added bonus.

“Did we want to spend £25 million for a 30-year-old?” one senior source at Newcastle told The Athletic. “No. Is it worth paying £25 million if we stay up? Yes. Man City went big on Robinho but that doesn’t make sense for us. Wood makes sense. He’ll make an impact and he’s a strong character. It’s about need.”

5 hours ago, midds said:

He's going to be the final point for the next month or 2 and needs support on and off the pitch. No point slagging the bloke now, he's here and he's the bloke at the top of the tree, he needs bodies around him so when he flicks it on or holds it up he's got options. He needs to be involved and needs service. The whole team needs to step it up another level, he can be a big asset but not if he's isolated, that's a waste. 

I can’t fathom why any GENUINE fan would be slagging the bloke.

We play a style with no real width , a winger who goes where he wants and rarely can cross a ball . How the fuck is this bloke expected to score? He’s essentially a target man , a target we we never aim for , pointless buying him if we are not playing to his strengths. 

3 hours ago, Amir_9 said:

He'll score some goals, but not expecting him to be any kind of saviour

I think he'll probably end up with 4-5 or so until end of the season

That may not be far off a goal a game average for him.

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, GWN said:

I can’t fathom why any GENUINE fan would be slagging the bloke.

We play a style with no real width , a winger who goes where he wants and rarely can cross a ball . How the fuck is this bloke expected to score? He’s essentially a target man , a target we we never aim for , pointless buying him if we are not playing to his strengths. 

Trippier will be finding him with pinpoint accuracy by the time we face Everton. We just need to be ready to win the second balls. Willock may be the best opportunity for that, but I think we'll begin with Shelvey in a more advanced position, giving Trippier more options. Although he has connected well with Willock, so who knows? I think we can all be quite confident in whatever starting line up Howe goes with. Then it's up to the footballing gods.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Trippier will be finding him with pinpoint accuracy by the time we face Everton. We just need to be ready to win the second balls. Willock may be the best opportunity for that, but I think we'll begin with Shelvey in a more advanced position, giving Trippier more options. Although he has connected well with Willock, so who knows? I think we can all be quite confident in whatever starting line up Howe goes with. Then it's up to the footballing gods.

it’s hasn’t emerged in his first 2 games so I don’t expect it to change now? 

punting down the middle is hardly gonna play to this guy scoring, that’s what been happening. Hope I’m wrong

1 minute ago, GWN said:

punting down the middle is hardly gonna play to this guy scoring, that’s what been happening. Hope I’m wrong

It hasn't, yet. But with Trippier's quality and intelligence, you'd expect it to come. And like I say, he doesn't have to find him every time, as long as we are first to the second ball.

11 minutes ago, GWN said:

Have a look on YT at his goals. A surprising amount come from balls from, if not down the channels and him peeling off his marker.

He will score a few, we've got a much improved squad since the first 2 games he's played. I've no doubt that with more quality in the team now he will start scoring. I hope now with Bruno in the team we'll get alot more out of our attacking players.

5/6 before seasons end would be fine. Hopefully that begins with a goal against Everton. 

31 minutes ago, madras said:

Have a look on YT at his goals. A surprising amount come from balls from, if not down the channels and him peeling off his marker.

ive no doubt , he’s not just about crosses but he’s never had a sniff created for him yet so how some can judge him is beyond me .

56 minutes ago, GWN said:

ive no doubt , he’s not just about crosses but he’s never had a sniff created for him yet so how some can judge him is beyond me .

If only we had eyes and a whole career to look at to form an opinion.