Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, LV said:

All of this discussion and differences in opinions just shows what a difficult decision this is going to be. Howe is not going to be able to please everybody with this. 

He will if he starts him.

Had we drawn or lost against Everton the decision to bring Bruno into the team would be easy. With us winning and the performance being how it was has made it much harder. I'm not sure Howe will change the team aside from Targett. 

Shelvey moved to the bench for me without a moment of hesitation. A known quantity and a general liability (as others have said, the cracking result on Tuesday could have been very different if we had a harsher ref making the decision on that first half tackle). And from what I've read, it seems anything Shelvey can do, Bruno can do better.

At least the two Joes give the impression of still having room to improve, and may push on with such a classy player helping them along.

I won't be entirely surprised if Bruno doesn't come in to the XI on Sunday, though. Can imagine Howe will find it very hard to make that decision after such a good win.

I saw a write up on F365 that made sense, basically saying Bruno has made the biggest leap of faith in us as a club, moreso than Trippier as he didn't particularly want to move to the North of England and he is not even at the peak of his career yet.

That's nothing against Trippier, just that this lad has taken a much bigger risk on us. He will be a legend in time I'm sure and the lasting symbol of our transformation as he can be in the team for many years to come.

Edited by Sean

8 minutes ago, LV said:

All of this discussion and differences in opinions just shows what a difficult decision this is going to be. Howe is not going to be able to please everybody with this. 

I’m surprised we’re this divided tbh. It’s a no-brainer for me. Just start him.

I’d put Willock in Fraser’s place, bring in Bruno and bring in Longstaff for Shelvey who can do what Shelvey does, but isn’t a liability in terms of a red card waiting to happen. 

Dubravka

Trippier      Lascelles     Schar     Burn

Joelinton      Longstaff

Bruno

Willock        |         ASM

Wood

Edited by HTT II

14 minutes ago, Collage said:

I’m surprised we’re this divided tbh. It’s a no-brainer for me. Just start him.

Over who though?

Cant see Shelvey, Willock or Joelinton being happy about being dropped for him. It’s a consideration that Howe will have in mind. 

It’s going to take an injury or a poor game from one of them before Bruno starts I’d say. 

4 minutes ago, LV said:

Over who though?

Cant see Shelvey, Willock or Joelinton being happy about being dropped for him. It’s a consideration that Howe will have in mind. 

It’s going to take an injury or a poor game from one of them before Bruno starts I’d say. 

Willock for me as I don’t really see what he’s done to be guaranteed a place in the starting XI. Bruno has to be a starter sooner rather than later. 

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d put Willock in Fraser’s place, bring in Bruno and bring in Longstaff for Shelvey who can do what Shelvey does, but isn’t a liability in terms of a red card waiting to happen. 

Dubravka

Trippier      Lascelles     Schar     Burn

Joelinton      Longstaff

Bruno

Willock        |         ASM

Wood

Don’t think you can move Willock to the right as its a more disciplined role to cover. Joelinton maybe would be better suited there, but that would be harsh on Fraser (although I didn’t think he played well the other night) and also takes away Joelinton from the middle. I suspect it will be the same team other than either Dummett or Burn on the left 

9 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Don’t think you can move Willock to the right as its a more disciplined role to cover. Joelinton maybe would be better suited there, but that would be harsh on Fraser (although I didn’t think he played well the other night) and also takes away Joelinton from the middle. I suspect it will be the same team other than either Dummett or Burn on the left 

I think Willock gets caught out in the middle too much, on and off the ball, as he did against Everton, you have to remember he will have Trippier behind him as well which is going to be a big help to him or anyone who plays on that right.

Joelinton has shown he is best in a deeper or concentrated CM role and he can alternate with Bruno as to who drops deep and who goes further forward, Longstaff can do both that too.

Ideally, I’d have Murphy down the right instead of Fraser or Willock, he is more of a goal threat, quicker and just needs more game time for better consistency levels. When he come on against Everton our play switched from pretty much all of ASM down the left to attacking down the right and he was unlucky not to score!

Long-term, only Bruno survives in midfield, we need a whole new one.

2 hours ago, LV said:

Over who though?

I'm under the impression that while he's extremely active defensively he is also an exquisite passer.  That points right at Shelvey.  I am no fan of Jonjo but I do appreciate that he has been willing to work to improve his game.  However, when a guy like Guimaraes comes in someone knows they are dropping down.  Longstaff has already dropped a peg.  If Bruno can pass, carry the ball and break up play he wins over Shelvey.  Then what does Shelvey give you over Willock and Joe?  He has no pace.  He can't press.  He doesn't break up play unless it's confined to a very small space.  It has to be Shelvey and I wouldn't expect him to be happy.

I cannot believe having watched this guy's highlights of him driving forward with the ball and threading through exquisite passes to forward players, people want him to come in and sit back in front of the defence.

Not having that at all. Joe's energy and work rate in midfield is absolutely vital at the minute and so he's not going anywhere. And so we have Willock and Shelvey. Willock cannot play in that deeper holding role, and so he has to sit on the bench for now. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I cannot believe having watched this guy's highlights of him driving forward with the ball and threading through exquisite passes to forward players, people want him to come in and sit back in front of the defence.

Not having that at all. Joe's energy and work rate in midfield is absolutely vital at the minute and so he's not going anywhere. And so we have Willock and Shelvey. Willock cannot play in that deeper holding role, and so he has to sit on the bench for now. 

The reason is quite simply that most of us have assumed he was primarily a defensive midfielder who can bring the ball out. Watching highlights of his fantastic passing and carrying the ball doesn't necessarily change his primary role. It's great that he can do most everything, although notably doesn't offer much of a goal threat, so that would be why he's probably seen more of a disruptor and playmaker type.

I assumed he would be replacing Shelvey based on that, but if he's actually more of an AM then I can see the logic of playing him further forward instead of Willock.

Just now, TRon said:

The reason is quite simply that most of us have assumed he was primarily a defensive midfielder who can bring the ball out. Watching highlights of his fantastic passing and carrying the ball doesn't necessarily change his primary role. It's great that he can do most everything, although notably doesn't offer much of a goal threat, so that would be why he's probably seen more of a disruptor and playmaker type.

I assumed he would be replacing Shelvey based on that, but if he's actually more of an AM then I can see the logic of playing him further forward instead of Willock.

He's a central midfielder that is more of an allrounder, and so he has to be given the freedom to get up and down the pitch. At Lyon he played beside Caqueret who was the holding midfielder that was more defensive minded. Not sure why we'd now want to bring him in to sit in a holding role and neutralise some of his best qualities. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He's a central midfielder that is more of an allrounder, and so he has to be given the freedom to get up and down the pitch. At Lyon he played beside Caqueret who was the holding midfielder that was more defensive minded. Not sure why we'd now want to bring him in to sit in a holding role and neutralise some of his best qualities. 

Well if that's true it would make him more of a direct replacement for Joelinton from our current bunch. I just think if you put him instead of Willock, you lose some goal threat, and you still have a lumbering DM who's not really a DM in Shelvey, so I'd be worried someone like Coutinho would have a field day.

Anyhow, will be interesting to see the line up on Sunday, you could make a case for either or Shelvey/Willock. Both have weak parts to their game, I suppose it just depends what Howe trusts will work better on the day.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

So if he can make those same types of passes from a more forward role doesn't he still make Shelvey redundant?  If I'm Eddie Howe I'd want to play out the back and get the ball right to Bruno's feet and bypass the DM in most cases.  Unless the plan is to go to a 2 man MF or use Big Joe deeper both of which leave Shelvey out of the squad IMO.  Of course I am admittedly looking at it from the perspective that I want Willock for pace energy and pressing as well as late runs into the box.