Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

26 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Loved watching him play for us, sublime first touch.

Yep. I loved watching him. I’m sure him and Bellamy struck up a good partnership

when Shearer was out. Shearer getting back to fitness and understandably coming back in was actually to our detriment. 

I might not be remembering that correctly, mind. Going back a few years!

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Yep. I loved watching him. I’m sure him and Bellamy struck up a good partnership

when Shearer was out. Shearer getting back to fitness and understandably coming back in was actually to our detriment. 

Pretty sure PK mentioned it in an interview after he retired or maybe slightly before, that he and Bellamy played really well together but it was never going to work out once AS was fit again. PK had his issues for sure but he was a lovely player to watch.

2 hours ago, WillingtonMag said:

Kluivert only scored 8 goals in total for the 3 clubs he signed for after Newcastle before he retired, did he get a bad injury? 

He'd had a bad knee injury at Barca the season before he moved to us, I remember reading somewhere years ago that his knee would swell up after playing when he was here. Still managed to do the business for us though, love that header vs Chelsea in the cup.. shame his career got cut short like that (suprised he was only 28 when came here in my head he was early 30s at least).

Edited by Nine

33 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I remember that foursome of Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert and Ameobi well. Should have blown everyone else away, with Bellamy running off a target man.

However, although Kluivert clearly still had the touch and strike, he never had the desire or fitness to make it count. He was never going to displace Shearer without an effort, so he chose to wind his career down early. Sad.

Bellamy could have been world class with his pace and finishing and Shearer's game was perfect for his game, but his decision making was crap, he was constantly and totally unnecessarily considering his pace, offside. He also had a personality that annoyed everyone, so he got shipped on and became a journeyman.

Ameobi probably should have been less crap than he was, but he was good enough for 4th choice at the time.

I can see why Shearer ended up staying number one throughout - he had delivered the goods up until then and still did a job even when he was knackered. The others had some big flaws. 

2 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I remember that foursome of Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert and Ameobi well. Should have blown everyone else away, with Bellamy running off a target man.

However, although Kluivert clearly still had the touch and strike, he never had the desire or fitness to make it count. He was never going to displace Shearer without an effort, so he chose to wind his career down early. Sad.

Bellamy could have been world class with his pace and finishing and Shearer's game was perfect for his game, but his decision making was crap, he was constantly and totally unnecessarily considering his pace, offside. He also had a personality that annoyed everyone, so he got shipped on and became a journeyman.

Ameobi probably should have been less crap than he was, but he was good enough for 4th choice at the time.

I can see why Shearer ended up staying number one throughout - he had delivered the goods up until then and still did a job even when he was knackered. The others had some big flaws. 

Bellamy became the most intelligent and modern forward we had in the early 2000s... Fitness to play was an issue, though.

2 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Harsh on Bellamy

Guest HTT II

Kluivert had it all and was easily one of my fave players ever and so I was delighted when we signed him, but we got a broke Kluivert who although still class on the ball and easily our most technical player, he was pretty much finished, lacked the fitness, the desire and his professionalism was next to zero. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, loki679 said:

He was out getting plastered in Jesmond most nights.

And shagging, smoking and god knows what else. What a fucking man :smitten:

Guest HTT II

Looking back Bellamy made the absolute most of his career as technically he was such a limited player and did suffer two leg breaks when he was a teenager. He used his one true asset often to great effect, his pace.

However, had he not signed for us and had a Shearer next to him and a manager like Sir Bobby, he would have never ended up at say LFC or had the career he did have. His finishing was often poor, but he could finish, but only certain types of strikes and wasn't as rounded in that art as even some lesser players.

I think on the pitch he had a great attitude myself, hard working, aggressive, a winner, never gave up and a team player, off the pitch he himself has said he rubbed people up the wrong way, took things way too personally and was hard to get on with, and he could have done more on his fitness/injuries RE how he lived his life and his lifestyle.

It ended up sour here for him, but for a few years, he was integral to our success and I hope any bitterness has left me and I can one day look back and think what a good player he was for us and what an Impact he had here under Sir Bobby and in that team, like most did. The same goes for Dyer.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah not a good guy in his personal life, tbh. 

”On 9 September 1995, Kluivert crashed a borrowed BMW into another car in Amsterdam, killing the driver and seriously injuring a female passenger. Kluivert admitted to speeding before the crash, and was convicted of death by dangerous driving. As a consequence, he was sentenced to perform 240 hours of community service.”

That sentence though, you’d get more for having a gram of weed on you 

Fucking hell I forgot all about that and wasn’t there rape accusations? That’s a pathetic sentence like!

50 minutes ago, dave s said:

was also an absolute cock end 

But our absolute cock end, at least. Remember having exactly that conversation with somebody in the Gallowgate c.2003