Dan Burn

Rich

7 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

This is what gets ignored, it's all just pouncing on isolated mistakes and driving the agenda against a committed local lad doing his best.

He has made mistakes but I agree it's absurd to then ignore the good that he does or when he plays well

Some would have you think he's a liability from minute one to minute 90

11 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

He has made mistakes but I agree it's absurd to then ignore the good that he does or when he plays well

Some would have you think he's a liability from minute one to minute 90

Im not ignoring any good he is doing and i dont at all think he is a liability all 90 minutes. But football is about scoring goals and only a few of them happens every game. Lately there has been way to many goals and chances coming out of nowhere because of Burns speed and that there is too much space between him and the non-sweeper keeper when he plays at LB.

That liability is to much for me when he offers so little offensively and we have a ready to go replacement in Livramento.

Edited by Displayname

He's having a bad patch but nor is he brilliant at everything else. I do think he is clearly hugely valued for all the ineffable leadership qualities but a rotation out to protect him for a bit would surely be understandable and tino deserves a chance. 

11 hours ago, Pata said:

He was really good against Fulham and Villa, why is the narrative suddenly that he's been garbage for a long time?

Because some people seem to be reading from a pick your own adventure book. Some psycho was bleating on about how a Dan Burn inspired loss yesterday would have cost Howe his job  :lol: 

Our current form:

P: 6

W: 4

D: 1

L: 1

and the loss was to Man City. Certain sections of our support never cease to amaze me.

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Though he was alright yesterday.

Got exposed for the first, but you have to be asking how they played through us with a single pass.

The goal is just as much on Botman and Miley as it was on Burn and MGW's pass was inch perfect tbh. First Elanga chance would've been tough for anyone as a contested ball on midfield quickly turned into a through ball and Elanga got a head start due to his good positioning and movement. Thought he was fine yesterday overall and don't have many complaints but he seems to have a massive spotlight on him right now as some fans look for a scapegoat.

I tend to agree with the criticism of him, but I think lack of pace and poor positioning can be levelled against the other defenders too and so it seems harsh he gets more. Difference is they should all be first choice despite that, whereas I can’t see why Tino isn’t at LB. The fact Howe has sometimes made that switch early says a lot. You can’t have a regularly struggling starting left-back. 

Sure he’s had some great games recently and had a strong second-half yesterday too. Imo he’s absolutely an option for deeper and more defensive spells. But he’s had a huge hand in several goals recently and clearly being targeted. Cost of that can’t be ignored. 

When we lose possession towards to oppo 18 yard box we don’t have the pace to get back into position against a lot of teams. We’ve then the issue of a lack of pace in defense and BDB in particular.

Bruno couldn’t track MGB for his early chance and I’m pretty sure for Elanga’s goal Bruno didn’t have the legs when we lost possession high up the pitch.

Forest played a couple of no look passes into an area where they thought Burn would be caught out.

We got a bit lucky imo, Forest are average at best and we played to their strengths again. 

Bruno, Miley and Longstaff will always struggle as a trio when we lose cheap possession in advanced positions.

He’s a bottom of the premier league plodder 

great attitude / good leader with average ability 

Has been a good solid player for us , but along with Miggy 

He isn’t going to get us to where we want to be 

Wilson - is the same now (need better) 

I'm certain I read these same comments about Wilson a year ago before he scored in pretty much every game. Please give him some time, he was probably forced to a bigger role than his fitness warrants right now due to Isak's injury.

On 23/09/2023 at 17:51, The College Dropout said:

He’s targeted defensively one on one and that’s a massive weakness of his. And he’s totally ignored by opposition (and some of our own players) when in attacking positions. And his distribution is sometimes poor. 

He’s great at centre back things (for a fullback) like defending the box, fully committed and he gets his head on a lot of set pieces. But he’s not a good centre back (for a team with ambitions of playing in the CL consistently) Ben White, Gvardiol, Ake, Akanji - these all play fullback for their clubs. But they are genuine class CBs. Ake is one of the reasons Botman barely has an international cap.  He’s an almost top level CB and uses those skills at FB.  Burn is a limited CB who is an even more limited FB.  

I like Burns profile as a fullback.  The 2 best teams in the country play with players of that profile. Real Madrid won the CL with a ‘stay at home’ FB in Mendy. The problem is he’s not that good at it. Defensively and offensively. 

He still brings a lot to the team.  I’ve assumed Sheff like to play direct and will be a threat on set pieces so Burn will be very useful there. But I’d like to see Hall play and maybe even invert into midfield. Play passes into the CMs pushing up and the attacking players in dangerous positions. 

My view on Dan Burn hasn't really changed. I've always thought he's a limited player. It's just being exposed now more than ever. I still like his profile - he's just not good at it. I don't like him as a CB either. I'd happily see him replaced by a good Botman level LCB who can play Fullback. Can spend £30-40m on him and shift 2 couple defenders for whatever we can get.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think he was that bad on Saturday tbf. Ironic that their first goal came from him doing the first part right (getting a running start so he had a chance to match Elanga) but just ballsed up his positioning from it. 

I think his positioning was fine (and it's more Dubs fault than his), he's just turbo-slow and Elanga is rapid.

Forest kept targeting him. It didn't always come off because he's not a terrible player but they got a fair amount of joy against him.

The midfield is terribly one-paced and exposes him.

The key thing is opps have targeted him. Trips can be got at the same way (as Son showed) but you need a little more guile to make it work and teams don't pinpoint him.

To be fair it was a quality finish and Burn done what you would expect your LB to do as in show him out wide.. 

I'd much prefer Tino to start though.

Just now, mofo said:

To be fair it was a quality finish and Burn done what you would expect your LB to do as in show him out wide.. 

I'd much prefer Tino to start though.

Tbf to Burn, given how slow he is I thought he positioned himself the best he could under the circumstances. Just that a player with more pace will get a little tighter and give the forward less of the goal to aim at.