Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Often overlooked and forgotten by some pundits. Jamie Redknapp failed to mention his name once when talking about our January signings. He mentioned all the others but this fella.

Proper LB. Hope we get him signed permenantly soon.

Proper old-fashioned in his approach to the game, thought he was third behind Bruno and Krafth for MOTM yesterday. Just does everything at 7/10 level with a few moments of genuine class that elevates him above that. He’s been outstanding, overall, hope he’s here for a long time (and a good time).

Guest HTT II

He has been playing them kind of balls out that he did yesterday to Willock regularly, either to feet (ASM) or to head (Wood) which often didn’t materialise into anything, he’s very good at turning, looking up and clipping forward balls into the danger areas.

That’s a part of his game that gets overlooked, but an area I’ve noticed a few times now. He may not be a marauding left back running forward and getting onto things, but he is a clever user of the ball and does things simple and we have the players for that pass.

That ball yesterday was nowt special, but it was still a decent ball that set us away and we fortunately scored via that attack. He’s also, of course, very very strong defensively. He’s been our best signing under Howe thus far for me, a solid 7/10 every game.

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

He has been playing them kind of balls out that he did yesterday to Willock regularly, either to feet (ASM) or to head (Wood) which often didn’t materialise into anything, he’s very good at turning, looking up and clipping forward balls into the danger areas.

That’s a part of his game that gets overlooked, but an area I’ve noticed a few times now. He may not be a marauding left back running forward and getting onto things, but he is a clever user of the ball and does things simple and we have the players for that pass.

That ball yesterday was nowt special, but it was still a decent ball that set us away and we fortunately scored via that attack. He’s also, of course, very very strong defensively. He’s been our best signing under Howe thus far for me, a solid 7/10 every game.

while he’s not flashy in terms of bombing forward and overlapping, he makes up for it in his incredibly calm and intelligent ball retention and passing. Generally finds the right pass to keep things ticking. 

25 minutes ago, OCK said:

Wins the ball at our own corner flag, plays it forward to Willock... GOAL. 

Reveal hidden contents

Best left back since John Beresford

He only really has Enrique ahead of him in recent times (not that there's a large pool of competition).

Not surprised with him after seeing his progressive pass stats. I had him on the bench in my FF team last season and he constantly amazed me. He never got many assists though, just kept wracking up points. It all makes perfect sense now.

9 hours ago, Conjo said:

Would anyone take Digne over him now if given the choice?

No. That looks a ridiculous decision in hindsight. 

Targett’s attitude and application is A1. He’s athletic and committed. He’s a 7 out of 10 going forward. Very handy player. Digne has more guile on the balll but he’s inferior in every other way and has a questionable attitude. 

The best thing about our transfer policy so far is that we are bringing in good lads. Top professionals. Good around the camp.  Burn, Trippier, Bruno, Targett all fit that mould. You could see any one of them wearing the armband. 

SAF built  his teams with these type (eg Targett) of lads in the mix - the Neville’s, Welbeck, Fletcher, Park.  You’re not going to out run them. You’re not going to our fight them. They’ll train well. Focus on winning.  Klopp’s first great Liverpool team too with your Milners and Henderson’s.  

Going forward for a fullback isn't always about being a flying attacker. Sometimes solid distribution, and competence in possession, can be enough especially if you have an attacking player in front.

I've been really impressed by how solid a footballer he is. It's shown how short we've been of good fullbacks in recent years.

Some absolute quality posts above. 

For all the talk about quality going forward, the intelligence to shield Justin and then spring a counter in the 95th minute is an outrageous example of awareness. 

36 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

You can win the league with Simpson playing full back. Targett is a lot better than him. 

Not anymore tbf. 

20 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Going forward for a fullback isn't always about being a flying attacker. Sometimes solid distribution, and competence in possession, can be enough especially if you have an attacking player in front.

I've been really impressed by how solid a footballer he is. It's shown how short we've been of good fullbacks in recent years.

Aye he’s very tidy football player all round. 

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

while he’s not flashy in terms of bombing forward and overlapping, he makes up for it in his incredibly calm and intelligent ball retention and passing. Generally finds the right pass to keep things ticking. 

Yeah. Pretty much perfect for our needs this season. Solid foundation and a cracking piece of business.