Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Good solid signing and risk free to dressing room spirit and wage structure which I think is quite clearly EH’s priority but goes without saying he doesn’t improve us from last season.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Which ace journalist wrote this line two weeks ago, do we reckon?

"The chances of Matt Targett making his loan move permanent have reduced dramatically in the last few days."

So according to the Athletic article that was the opposite of what happened two weeks ago 

Just shows that NUFC have done a great job at plugging the leaks. Nobody got wind of Hayden heading to Norwich, nobody knew that the Fun88 deal has been cut short and nobody knew that Targett was still ON.

All those reports of Renan Lodi? According to Targett, Eddie told him he wanted to sign him before the last game of the season and given what we know about Howe, he wouldn't have done that if there was any chance of us signing someone else.

They know fuck all. We might have enquired about Lodi, prior to the end of the season, but clearly that's as far as it went.

But, but, but, but, I thought the richest club in the world would be signing galactico mercenaries for megabucks. 

Instead we're signing solid, consistent, model pro's who are here because they want to be part of a positive progressive squad who are on a journey up the league.

Worrying.

Edited by bobbydazzla

You what's a massive plus for me... he's not a crock.

I know it sounds daft but I'm sick to fuck of having decent players who play only half the season.

Touch wood, I'm fairly confident we will get 30 PL games out of him this season.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't get the accusations that he's bad going forward based on what we've seen like. He's not a flying wing back but there's more ways to offer offensively than that.

He generally looks to cleanly distribute the ball out from the back which is massively valuable in an attacking sense. I was expecting a lot more safety first clearances but more often than not he would play it directly into midfield or accurately down the line to the wide player.

He also is comfortably carrying it forward into the opposition half and links up well with the wide player. Even if he's not the one playing the cross just offering the overlap is very useful in an attacking sense when your winger can then go inside.

Finally - he has shown good set piece delivery which is an attacking attribute in and of itself l.

Maybe it's just we've been so short of competence at left back for so long we've forgot what it looks like - but I definitely wouldn't have said he was a defensive full back. If anything I think his attacking qualities have been equal to his defensive ones rather than particularly excelling one way or the other.

I fancied us signing him early on tbh and I'd been impressed seeing him at Villa and even years ago at Southampton. But what he did for the winner against Leicester was absolutely it for me, like. Like you said there's different types of attacking full back and being able to turn defence in to attack like that so confidently is such an asset. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

He absolutely mullered Brentfords fullback when he was paired up with Fraser.

Personally, I've no issue with a left back being an absolute boss defender, and only occasionally delivering the goods in attack.

Can't wait until we are playing away in Europe and I don't have to worry about getting done by some mint right winger.

Exactly, he was brought in as a defender  when we had a shit defence, he helped tighten it up to a point where we all got confident of being one nil up. We flew up the table and comfortably stayed up to the point where we were all annoyed we didn’t get a top ten finish.  

we now sign him for a measly £12m - that’s half a Chris wood and people are saying things like he doesn’t attack enough and I remember that one pass he made that went adrift.

As far as I’m concerned it’s an amazing signing and want to say “welcome target”

Just now, cubaricho said:

Mentions Europe "in the next few seasons" in his interview. And that he hasn't given up on being called up for England.

So much to love about this dude. So happy he's here permanent.

He has the hope so you can be assured he's giving his all for the club, if only to reach his personal goals.

And the Europe talk sounds so premature but it seems to be a consistent point amongst the new players and the owners.

Honestly don't feel like I've fully prepared myself for any of this yet, gonna be an absolute fucking ride :indi:

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I see this deal has brought Villa's Twitter megavirgins out of the woodwork again.

:lol:

What's their verdict then? I'm assuming they are whinging about the price?

5 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Mentions Europe "in the next few seasons" in his interview. And that he hasn't given up on being called up for England.

So much to love about this dude. So happy he's here permanent.

Currently England don’t have an abundance of LBs of quality so I wouldn’t say it’s out the question he’s called up once we’re knocking on Europe’s door.