Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Tell you what else annoys me. When people talk about our January window they refer to Targett as "solid" or "dependable" and whilst he is those things, he so much more than that.

He's actually a fucking class defender. I didn't see it being a problem for Maldini when he played left back. (Not comparing, so don't try that one).

Before people say, "yes but the modern game", well yes but the "modern game" is in constant change. Right now it may well be the de rigueur position to have flying full backs but its not the be all and end all.

When we are sitting 3rd and struggling to break the glass ceiling, we can discuss and upgrade on Matt Targett.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Currently England don’t have an abundance of LBs of quality so I wouldn’t say it’s out the question he’s called up once we’re knocking on Europe’s door.

Would love to see him have a great first half of the season and at least get in the squad for the WC. Having two Newcastle boys down in Qatar would be a treat (and it would mean we were doing well).

I just noticed the yellow ticker tape banner now. I think I have seen it flashing in the corner of my eye all day it just didn't register. :lol:

Anyway it's class, love it.

6 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Exactly, he was brought in as a defender  when we had a shit defence, he helped tighten it up to a point where we all got confident of being one nil up. We flew up the table and comfortably stayed up to the point where we were all annoyed we didn’t get a top ten finish.  

we now sign him for a measly £12m - that’s half a Chris wood and people are saying things like he doesn’t attack enough and I remember that one pass he made that went adrift.

As far as I’m concerned it’s an amazing signing and want to say “welcome target”

He wasn't just brought in as a defender, he was also brought in to play out from the back, he's not a massively attacking full back but he is very confident in possession and rarely gives it away cheaply. We've moved on from teams making us funnel the ball to certain players so they chip it up the line 30yds and lose possession.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

:lol:

What's their verdict then? I'm assuming they are whinging about the price?

Basically a selection of:

You financed Kamara and Coutinho.

He's Championship standard.

You're signing our back up.

The whole Villa-NUFC Twittter feud is as tedious as fuck, but the latest stuff is about as funny as this months gas bill.

It's not representative of Villas fanbase though. Every club has Twitter morons.

Villa are doing their thing and we are doing ours. They have made some decent signings and good luck to them.

We have Eddie.

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The whole Villa-NUFC Twittter feud is as tedious as fuck, but the latest stuff is about as funny as this months gas bill.

Just been on Villa talk and it's mad how similar football forums are. Go in our Hayden thread and you'll find an almost sentiment to their Targett thread.

In a couple of years, when this current Villa project fails, all the media will do their best to blame their recruitment for the failure and not giving Stevie G a proper chance. Coutinho will look like a mercenary, Digne a liability and Carlos a flop. None of this will be true, its just the workings of a shite manager.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

It's not representative of Villas fanbase though. Every club has Twitter morons.

Villa are doing their thing and we are doing ours. They have made some decent signings and good luck to them.

We have Eddie.

Absolutely. Always important to recognise that Twitter is not representative of reality.

Digne's good mind, they're recruiting well, competition is good, makes league good, makes people want to watch it. Not scared that we don't have the resources to compete either and if we can't there are no excuses. 

Need to readjust looking at villa spending and thinking, there's another team not going ot be competing with us to go down which we would all have been last season

Very pleased with this.  It's not just his price (which is a bargin) or his character but that we're not going to disrupt what was generally a very solid defensive unit. If we'd signed a new LB, a CB and had Trippier, that's essentially 3 out 4 'new' players in a back 4 and could have been disruptive.  Welcome back Sherminator.

Delighted with this, would have been so disappointed if he'd gone elsewhere. He's earned this and I hope he is our first choice for years to come.

More than anything this transfer reassures me of the loyalty and integrity that has been growing.

48 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Well I guess they must be happy enough with Digne then. Seems like they've got a giant stick up their arse about us for some reason though, but that's their problem.