Transferometer: January 2022 Edition

How would you rank this Transfer Window?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rank this Transfer Window?

5 for me. That's not being critical of anyone either as I understand the difficulties of the January window. I just think we've made a marginal improvement at CB, and the same in attack. I'm not sure Targett is a huge upgrade, though I'm delighted with Trippier and Bruno. 

Don't get be wrong, this is so much better than what has gone before, but I'm not sure if it has improved our survival chances by a huge amount and I'm 50/50 on that. I actually think there's a good chance that Burnley end up better of with Weghorst than Wood and I expect Watford to improve now. Lingard or van de Beek would have made it a 7 or an 8 for me.

Edited by JJ7

I'm quite worried we haven't strengthened enough but I gave it 6/10.. because I have no complaints over the effort, the money and the ambition shown. I'm sure Amanda herself has been very hands on with the negotiations so they did well in extremely difficult circumstances this window imo.

Bruno G looks like a complete midfielder so I hope that now Howe can fix the midfield balance, this was the highest priority this January. BUT for me the second priority was a versatile quick winger/attacker, we failed at that and it's very likely to cost us survival imo. The opposition can double and triple up on ASM, give him a few kicks, try to frustrate him and that's it - 90% of our attacking threat is gone. It's vital that Fraser and Almiron step up but they are simply very limited as attackers. We badly needed another body there. It appears our shortlist ended with the Eketike fella and we didn't anticipate that he might not be up for it.. Wood is also quite limited but I'm okay with this deal, even for 25mil, his presence alone enables us to attack in a different way, something which we totally lacked before.

As for the defence, I'm unsure if we have improved much at all. Targett can be steady and reliable at LB but I also feel Burn's best position is as an unorthodox fullback. Although he appears to have played as a CD in a two recently, I just can't see him complementing our other slow defenders. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one. 

We can survive but we'll have to do it the proper way - not relying as much on individual brilliance - instead by proper coaching, by attacking, defending and fighting as a unit. Can't see it myself.

Good lad Lampard will give Everton enough of a bounce following from bad guy Rafa. Hodgson knows how to create a tight counter attacking team. Burnley can also find their rigid mojo back if they get a result or two. Norwich are very limited but they're in front of us now so you never know..

Bruno and Trippier feel like great transfers, the others feel a bit like we were desperate to add to the position (and therefore have, which is good). Not bad overall but think it might still be 50/50 as to whether it's enough to keep us up. Really needed two mega CBs and a better striker.

A reminder of the interminable angst we've left behind; Pardew's presser eight years ago today immediately after having lost 3-0 at home to Sunderland and selling Cabaye without a replacement:

Press conference transcript as reported by the Telegraph:

Q: It’s a tough question to ask you but is the club, as it stands, capable of making permanent signings?

Pardew: Well …

Press officer: I think that’s an unfair one to ask the manager.

Q: But it’s two transfer windows without one now and Alan said …

Pardew: I’ve got no comment to make on that one.

Q: You said at the start of last week that the club can’t not replace Yohan, but that’s exactly what happened.

Pardew: I didn’t particularly say in this window though. I said, you know, we’ve got to get players of that class, there’s no doubt about that. So don’t try and angle that for this window because I think that’s unfair on me.

Q: You said ‘we need to bring someone in, for sure. We can’t lose someone of his quality and not replace him. That would leave us vulnerable’. Do you stand by that?

Pardew: Well, I’ve said it, ain’t I? But I’m meaning in the long-term as well as the short-term, that it’s the quality we need. And, you know, today has been a tough day for us and I don’t really want to add any more to it, to be honest.

Q: Part of the problem you’ve got is that if you don’t speak out against not getting a replacement it makes it look as though you’re going along with the decisions the board is making and therefore you get criticism heaped on your shoulders and take the blame for that.

Pardew: Yeah, I’m a professional manager. You know, if I was in charge, solely, of transfers, the answer might be different, but I’m not.

Q: It does feel sometimes that you’re being asked to manage with your hands tied behind your back.

Press officer: These are all quite unfair questions.

Q: Unfortunately the manager is the only person who will speak for the club.

Silence.

Q: Alan, is there a collective blame for today, from the top of the club, right down to on the pitch.
Pardew: The only way I can answer what has happened today is that it’s a disappointing day for the club.

Q: What do you say to Mike Ashley and Joe Kinnear when you’re having those discussions on Friday and it’s clear you’re not going to get a replacement (for Cabaye)? Do you make your opinions clear on that?

Pardew: I think I’ve made my opinion very clear this week and all the rest of it is confidentiality.

Q: How do you lift yourself?

Pardew: I’ll be alright.

Walks off.

Patsy fucker hung around for another year, of course. 

The one thing which niggles at the back of my mind is, we were desperate to get to this window to address the weaknesses in the squad, and have a fighting chance to escape relegation in the second half of the season. For the most part we've done that, but with Wilson's injury, a top class striker was a must. Wood was an understandable signing, but he's not that.

Goals win games, and I'm worried we won't have enough games left by the time Wilson returns, and then we have to hope he remains injury free. We need far more from Fraser and Wood while he's out.

I think people are being overly harsh here. I don't think there's an obvious weakness we haven't addressed and that's surely all we can measure this window by. Hoping to get better in areas we're already prem standard in would be a bonus but not a requirement.  

We're actually a really well balanced side now with a CM 3 of Willock, Bruno and Joelinton looking like they could be an absolute handful for anyone. 

Our defence looks 10 fold better and our forward line is good. 

On reflection I'm sticking to a 7.

For me, the key areas to improve were centre back, full back and centre midfield.

To fill right and back and centre midfield with players of the quality of Trippier and Bruno is utter madness, I never expected we could attract players of that calibre given our perilous position. Not only does Trippier ooze class in everything he does, but he looks a natural born leader, which is exactly what we need. Bruno may require a bit of patience, but if he hits the ground running it could have a transformative effect on the whole side. We've lacked work rate, presence and ability in the middle since Cabaye left. Not only should this relive the pressure on the defence but it should allow us to move the ball from back to front a lot more quickly.

Burn, Targett and Wood are clearly short term signing with survival in mind. Burn is a solid defender who is capable of bringing the ball out of defence. Targett is limited going forward but immediately becomes our most defensively sound left back. Adding two defensively solid full backs and a hard working central midfielder should be key in ensuring the centre backs aren't as exposed as they have been. 

Wood was clearly a knee-jerk signing to Wilson's injury. We've definitely overpaid for him, but given the lack of strikers that were purchased in January, it doesn't appear there were too many options available. We've bought a player with a one in three record in the Premier League who is dominant in the air and allows the team to retain its structure, rather than sticking ASM up top. I'd imagine he'll drop out when Wilson returns, but to say he's an upgrade on Gayle is an understatement.

If I was being greedy, I'd have liked another creative player. If ASM gets injured I imagine we're going to have to move Bruno further up the pitch to try to rebalanced the side. The problem is the squad was left in such a desperate state, there were always going to be too many gaps to fill in one transfer window. I think they've given us enough to stay up. We've strengthened three of the back four and brought in a huge upgrade in midfield. You'd hope the addituon of quality full backs and a midfield pivot will not only strengthen the defence but they'll be beneficial in rebalancing the attack.

I think it’s been a decent window. I can’t fault the owners for their application and ambition to try and make signings and they deserve a free pass with some of their naivety and how public some of the deals were. They had a really poor hand and literally every club bar the Trippier deal tried to take the piss. 

What I am concerned about is I’m worried we haven’t upgraded that much. Considering how below standard we’ve been this season only Trippier and Bruno are serious upgrades to what we have. Targett, Burn and Wood are all decent purchases but aren’t levels above what we already had. I think Lingard/Alli could have been really significant to our attacking play and a striker prepared to run in behind. The Carlos or Botman signing could have been revolutionary to our back line too. 

I guess so for all it’s been a good window I’m worried it isn’t enough. 

We have in my mind done well to bring in the signings that we have given our present situation but my niggling concern like many others on here is that we didnt bring in an exciting attacker so imo we should make the best of what we have 

We were in danger of being relegated before the window opened and we are in the same position after its closed so I don't see how anyone can see it as being a resounding success. Lascelles and Shelvey will no doubt still start, and we are still relying on Joe to become an all round midfield player all of a sudden. There are still no goals in the team so one of the supposed forwards we have will have to step up. Wood, ASM, Almiron, Murphy, Gayle, Willock, Fraser, not a list to make anyone feel confident.

3 hours ago, junkhead said:

I'm quite worried we haven't strengthened enough but I gave it 6/10.. because I have no complaints over the effort, the money and the ambition shown. I'm sure Amanda herself has been very hands on with the negotiations so they did well in extremely difficult circumstances this window imo.

Bruno G looks like a complete midfielder so I hope that now Howe can fix the midfield balance, this was the highest priority this January. BUT for me the second priority was a versatile quick winger/attacker, we failed at that and it's very likely to cost us survival imo. The opposition can double and triple up on ASM, give him a few kicks, try to frustrate him and that's it - 90% of our attacking threat is gone. It's vital that Fraser and Almiron step up but they are simply very limited as attackers. We badly needed another body there. It appears our shortlist ended with the Eketike fella and we didn't anticipate that he might not be up for it.. Wood is also quite limited but I'm okay with this deal, even for 25mil, his presence alone enables us to attack in a different way, something which we totally lacked before.

As for the defence, I'm unsure if we have improved much at all. Targett can be steady and reliable at LB but I also feel Burn's best position is as an unorthodox fullback. Although he appears to have played as a CD in a two recently, I just can't see him complementing our other slow defenders. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one. 

We can survive but we'll have to do it the proper way - not relying as much on individual brilliance - instead by proper coaching, by attacking, defending and fighting as a unit. Can't see it myself.

Good lad Lampard will give Everton enough of a bounce following from bad guy Rafa. Hodgson knows how to create a tight counter attacking team. Burnley can also find their rigid mojo back if they get a result or two. Norwich are very limited but they're in front of us now so you never know..

Aye in our position, you want quality to see us through. But we've got a manager and most of our signings that people wouldn't bat an eyelid if they got the drop. 

Add in a Lingard and our strongest team team upper midtable and can take a couple players not hitting the ground running. 

As it stands. It's going to be ASM, Wilson & Wood to keep us up.

7 for me.

It is looking like 3 upgrades to a previously terrible back 4.  Plus hopefully a bit more control in midfield with Guimaraes.  You'd like to think the whole team should be functioning better now and we might consistently be able to create chances and keep hold of the ball for a change.  

I think if we got an attacking player in with a bit of pace.  Then it would be a 9.  If we managed to get another CB in, or perhaps one that is a bit more exciting and high profile than Burn, then it would be a 10.

Trippier and Guimaraes are signings I wouldn't have expected us to be able to bring in. 

Wood was a needs must signing and will hopefully just be another option to Wilson and fill in when Wilson is invariably injured.

The other two signed on deadline day are solid prem players and should be able to come straight into the starting XI with no issues.

I didn't expect us to spend close to £100m and it did also feel like they were genuinely trying for expensive, top level players.  Which is exciting going forward.

We're in a much better position than we were on Jan 1st.  So it's mainly positive, despite some missteps and still looking a bit light in an attacking sense. 

We now have a better team than at least 3 teams - Watford, Norwich and Burnley. This was the measure of success I was going to use. If we can get the results to match our team's relative ability, we'll be OK. If our new jewel of a midfielder can stay fit for the remainder of the season, I've no doubt that he'll be that transformative for us that he'll almost single-handedly pull us up the table. He'll elevate the players around him, with Joelinton's work-rate, we'll see Shelvey get more time on the ball which despite his flaws, is a good thing for us. 

I do worry about our right wing, though. I'm entirely unconvinced by Fraser. I'd like to see Willock given a run out up there, drifting inside with Trippier moving up the field into the space.

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Was this transfer window funded out of the club coffers or by money injected by the owners? 

Thats a really good question. I’d love to know the answer to that but I’m guessing it’s likely PIF money rather than out of current club funds. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

Thats a really good question. I’d love to know the answer to that but I’m guessing it’s likely PIF money rather than out of current club funds. 

I'd guess it just sits in the club accounts, like most debt, to be settled up at some as yet undetermined time.