Newcastle United 3 - 1 Everton (08/02/2022)

Disco

Thought Everton were utterly abject too btw, particularly second half. Absolutely shit themselves at any sort of pressing. Mad how many times they repeatedly gave the ball away. 

Gomes and Allan in midfield were pedestrian. Townsend looks finished. Both full backs were shite as well. Thought Alli looked rubbish too. Think they'll have enough about them to stay up but they really are poor.

One thing I would say. If we had Wilson and our other players could finish then that should have been a 5 or 6 tonight level of performance. 

All over the pitch we were dominant. There was a period 2nd half where we just piled the pressure on for a solid 10 minutes and they didn't get out it was just corner after corner. 

So the only concern or negative is it seems its gonna take a lot of chances for us to get the goals we need. But if they could keep that energy level up and closing down then we look like we'll be a tough team to play against now. 

Can't remember the last time we came from behind to win a game, makes the victory that much sweeter. The first half was weird, both teams where very disjointed and sloppy up until they scored, at which point we switched on and absolutely battered them until the end of the game, I can't remember Dubs having to make a save.

That was a whole team performance, everyone to a man was valiant, courageous and had the fight needed to get that result, we where pressing from the front, and didn't allow them any space to breath, and when in possession was incisive with our passing, and broke at speed several times, if we could finish we could have won that by 5 or 6.

That may have actually been ASM's best performance for us, I've been critical of him this season, and was starting to think he may be someone we leave by the wayside as we get better, but he was really switched on today, driving with pace and that despite the fact he was triple marked at times. 

Trippier just oozes class, Targett was very solid, him being a defensive rock allowed ASM the freedom going forward. Schar is the one I'm most worried about, he looked off the pace today, would like to see Burn in his place at the weekend.

As for Everton, they need to be seriously worried, there performance was shocking and that's coming off the back of a morale boosting win, they looked all over the place all game. Maybe it's injuries and a new manager coming in, but they need to buck up, or they could go down as they have all the hallmarks of us in 09.

On a sidenote, notice how BT didnt show Lampard looking crestfallen on the sidelines, or at all from the moment we went ahead? Almost like he used to work for them or something.

EDDIE HOWES BLACK AND WHITE ARMY.

Ratings 

Dubravka - 6 A couple of easy saves and that was about it 

Trippier - 10 Absolutely immense, future captain for a few year to come hopefully

Lascelles - 8 OG can hardly really be his fault, Richarlison drew a free kick from him that Lascelles should know better than to give away. Other than that one of his best games in ages.

Schar - 6.5 Was a little hesitant at one moment first half with Richarlison that could have cost us, silly foul in the 2nd. Still dont think hes really suited to a back 4. Okay overall though.

Targett - 7.5 Solid as fuck, what we all wanted to see.

Shelvey - 8 Great game I thought, one stupid yellow which we all know he has in him but other than that he played his role very well. Has such great awareness to get a pass off when the balls played to him especially from throws I've noticed, just plays a tidy one and it gets us moving up field.

Willock - 8 Had a shakey moment in the first half and didnt impose himself like he can until the 2nd but when he turned it on he was class. Hes so under valued for us when he gets going like that, playing a different role under Howe to what Bruce had him playing. Great work to win the ball back for the 2nd also. Think him growing into the game was a big reason why we dominated the 2nd half, we were getting edged out in midfield in the 1st. Confidence player for sure.

Joe - 7 Not his best game but was still very effective at doing what he does. Great play for the 2nd to lay off Maxi, has so much stamina it looks like he can play two games in one night sometimes. Less said about his face shot the better [emoji38]

Fraser - 7.5 Great to see him score and works hard as fuck 

ASM - 10 Best game hes had for us probably, deserved a goal at least. What a fucking player man [emoji38] Just taking the absolute piss, think he got fired up with how they were doing him dirty in the 1st

Wood - 6.5 Could have scored that header, not many of his flicks or knock downs come off he just feels a bit isolated/out of place. Think when he scores one we will see him get better. 

Dubravka 7: Ran out when he needed to, wasn't really tested.

Trippier 10: Absolutely world class, every touch is so good. He also is so clearly a winner. Winding up the opposition and not going over the top himself. He is everything we've been missing for so long.

Schar/Lascelles 7: Both were pretty good , nothing special. It's a bit worrying how easily a ball over the top can unbalance them, especially Lascelles. but they have the fight and you can see how much they care. Lascelles was absolutely gutted after the OG he couldn't do much about. What a bullet header he had to make it right right off. Also noticing his leadership skills with trippier getting in their faces and pushing the scumbags away when there were handbags.

Targett 8: Didnt notice that everton did anything down his side. If we can have a competent left back playing the whole season it will be fantastic.

Shelvey 7: Did ok i thought, works harder and gets around as much as he can with his limited physicality. Still has that red card in him thought and could have ruined the game for us after 20 minutes or whatever it was.

Joelinton 7: Did ok as well. Contributes to so much fight and ball-carrying in midfield. Please just ban him from shooting or something. [emoji38]

Willock 8: His technique isn't great and he often puts too much or too little in the pass or carry. I think he usually plays better in the 2nd half as players get tired and it opens up for him to have a second longer on the ball. His work rate was absolutely immense though. Ran his heart out for 95 minutes and was unlucky not to score. I think a goal would do him a world of good as well. I think he has the off-the-ball movement for the role he has, but he needs one for them to start flowing.

Fraser 7: Did his job, works well with trippier which is why i think he will keep his place for the remainder of the season. Shanked in a goal which is good. We need more of our midfield/strikers to actually get goals.

ASM 10: Absolutely fantastic

Wood 6: Another one who probably needs a  goal. But looks a bit shite to be honest. Cannot fault his work rate and heart though.

I think we saw a well run club adressing the weaknesses in the squad and plugging as many holes as they could in the transfer window. We have been hearing for 14 years that we need "the right personalities", and very often seeing the wrong personality come into the club because they were cheap. Every single man out there had the heart and didnt stop for the entire 90 minutes, and everyone knew what the plan was. Everton on the other hand acted too late and probably got the wrong man, who also signed 2 similar players who havent gotten into their teams at their previous club and already look like they are not up for a fight.

Absolutely loving it!

It seems like a long time since we had a win like that. I'm one happy bunny.

The back four looked a lot more solid. In the first half, we lost control of the midfield and it was fortunate that Everton lost their momentum with those injuries.  

Villa are a better side than Everton and we'll need to step things up. Bruno in for Willock is the call I'd make.

Best performance under Howe by a mile and exactly what we needed following the window to ride on a bit of a wave after making signings.

Everton were the perfect opponents mind, they were desperately shite. They look more and more like us in 09/10 each week.

A great team performance and by far the best we’ve looked defensively since Howe came in, looks like the time off did us good. 

Need to follow this up with another good performance and result, a sequence of results whilst we play crap teams to bring us right out of it.

2 wins and 2 draws in the last 4 is a great effort.

Final point - it’s fucking brilliant to have players, staff and owners who genuinely care though. The scenes after that Trippier goal :love:

It was so good to see Amanda Staveley celebrating at the end with the other executives, she looked to be genuinely happy and excited. It was quite sweet to see her awkward exchange with someone who was slightly off camera, she wanted a handshake, he offered a fist (for a fist bump, I have to add), she offered a fist, he then a hand and this went on for a bit! Was quite a nice moment. As with the team and football management, it's just so amazing to have a whole hierarchy of genuine, extremely likeable people who all want the best for the club - especially in this happy moment. If/when we stay up, this summer is going to be incredible and I can't wait. 

Was nervous second half - but really thats just because its us, a howler, referee error, goal from the half way line, I'm paranoid about any illogical misfortune striking us at any moment plus our perilous league situation - so didn't enjoy it until after the third then finally some breathing space, not just this game but this season.

Bit of credit to Shelvey if for nothing else than not getting sent off, felt we'd be lucky to get to the hour without that.

ASM effervescent and Trippier so understatedly good.

Seems ages ago where we wondered if we'd ever get the buzz back. This time last year I couldn't have cared less if we got relegated. Now nerve ridden as f**k until the game is in the back and cant stop smiling after.

Very reminiscent of the Boro game in 09, quick response to going behind, dominate second half, miss a few chances, score, then clinch it.