Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

I get the whole mentality about not changing a winning team and Howe himself has alluded to this so probably won't.

But I just don't see that Shelvey is really contributing that much. He just cannot get around the pitch and would almost be better coming on later to try and help keep the ball towards the end of were winning a game. 

I think once Bruno gets in the team, that dynamism is going to be apparent to all and will lift us up another level. In the same way Trippier has and ASM does. 

6 minutes ago, Dokko said:

When you have only won one game all season and win 2 on the trot, you don’t change that winning team. It’s got to go again, minus Targett. If a centre mid is feeling a strain or something then ok get Bruno in. However I think it’s good management in this situation where you’re playing if we’re winning and if not things will change. 

Not so sure, think you have to be proactive and change before you’re forced to. Howe talks about one game at a time but he also said he likes to reward a winning team, which seems a little at odds to me.

Anyway, again, what the fuck do I know?

I don't think Howe will change the team apart from lb as that's forced, I thought everyone for to a man played brilliantly against the toffees. Surely if the same team is fit it sends out the wrong message to get dropped after playing so well and winning two on the bounce. 

1 hour ago, alexf said:

I get the whole mentality about not changing a winning team and Howe himself has alluded to this so probably won't.

But I just don't see that Shelvey is really contributing that much. He just cannot get around the pitch and would almost be better coming on later to try and help keep the ball towards the end of were winning a game. 

I think once Bruno gets in the team, that dynamism is going to be apparent to all and will lift us up another level. In the same way Trippier has and ASM does. 

Howe pointing out how we'd approach the game patiently was the biggest suggestion that he was planning changes.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

A manager can think both, like. Just like anyone else can. He'll end up chooosing one but I doubt it'll be because he's rubbished the other.

First person Howe went to at the end of the Everton match, was Shelvey. Could imply that he's taking a softly, softly approach to letting him down.

Pressure alleviated by yesterday’s win but I still wouldn’t be comfortable with a draw. We only have 7 home games left and I don’t see our final two months being a nice run-in, so we need plenty in the next month. I think we’ll pull through, but will be fighting relegation nearly all the way. 

Dubravka

Trippier Lascelles Schär Burn

Willock Shelvey Joelinton

Fraser Wood Saint-Maximin

Bruno to be on before 60’ this time, giving him a proper chance to stake a claim for a starting spot.

3-1 again.

I don’t buy this “you don’t change a winning team” mentality

You play your best available players and i’m pretty sure that Bruno it’s one of them and will improve the team

Coutinho basically went straight into Villa starting 11 asap and look what’s he’s been doing for them

edit : Dan Burn should start as well if he’s healthy imo

Edited by teohgk

I believe Howe is encouraging players to raise their game, that it's more of if you play well, you keep your place. This promotes competition and no one takes their place for granted. It may also be strategy that he can bring Bruno on to change things a bit against tired legs while allowing him to see the team movement from the bench.

1 hour ago, teohgk said:

I don’t buy this “you don’t change a winning team” mentality

You play your best available players and i’m pretty sure that Bruno it’s one of them and will improve the team

Coutinho basically went straight into Villa starting 11 asap and look what’s he’s been doing for them

edit : Dan Burn should start as well if he’s healthy imo

You play your best team. A team with Bruno included is still a relative unknown so it's difficult to compare with a team that have won the last two [targett being the only change]. 30-35 mins against Villa will give us enough to see. It seems clear that he will be a 1-on-1 improvement on anybody, but whether that will be an overall addition to the team as a whole is yet to be seen.

I've no doubt we'll see it, and yes we need him in there soon, but I think waiting another 60 mins isn't risking too much.

50 minutes ago, LRD said:

I believe Howe is encouraging players to raise their game, that it's more of if you play well, you keep your place. This promotes competition and no one takes their place for granted. It may also be strategy that he can bring Bruno on to change things a bit against tired legs while allowing him to see the team movement from the bench.

Thanks, that's a perspective I had not considered. 

12 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

You play your best team. A team with Bruno included is still a relative unknown so it's difficult to compare with a team that have won the last two [targett being the only change]. 30-35 mins against Villa will give us enough to see. It seems clear that he will be a 1-on-1 improvement on anybody, but whether that will be an overall addition to the team as a whole is yet to be seen.

I've no doubt we'll see it, and yes we need him in there soon, but I think waiting another 60 mins isn't risking too much.

Imo we’ve seen enough of what Shelvey , Willock etc. can do and it’s safe to say they aren’t the difference maker in those wins(Even though Shelvey scored the winning goal against Leeds)

We need as much points as we can get to survive relegation , i honestly think playing Bruno gives us the better chance. Will he struggle? Possibly , but i would prefer giving him more playing time to adapt as soon as possible than wasting time to those that likely don’t have any future to the club if we avoid relegation.

Another 60 mins of waiting might sounds not much , but if we end up trailing 1 or 2 goals in those 60mins and lost the game, that 3 points could be the difference of EPL or ELC

Anyway, It’s up to Howe to decide i guess :D

10 minutes ago, teohgk said:

Imo we’ve seen enough of what Shelvey , Willock etc. can do and it’s safe to say they aren’t the difference maker in those wins(Even though Shelvey scored the winning goal against Leeds)

We need as much points as we can get to survive relegation , i honestly think playing Bruno gives us the better chance. Will he struggle? Possibly , but i would prefer giving him more playing time to adapt as soon as possible than wasting time to those that likely don’t have any future to the club if we avoid relegation.

Another 60 mins of waiting might sounds not much , but if we end up trailing 1 or 2 goals in those 60mins and lost the game, that 3 points could be the difference of EPL or ELC

Anyway, It’s up to Howe to decide i guess :D

Yeah, the difference is how we are playing as a collective. I doubt Howe has made a decision yet, but he'll be glad of the options.

5 hours ago, DJ_NUFC said:

8AM start here in Texas. Takeover has been really messing with my sleeping schedule. I was a right snoozer under Bruce/Ashley. 

Where you at in Texas brother? Would love to catch a match if I’m down there when the season is on. Looking like I’ll be in Austin next month. 

Edited by cubaricho

Yeah, he'll make the change.

* Short week

* I'd imagine that Bruno (and Joelinton) will be absolutely chomping at the bit to have a go at Coutinho.

Dubravka

Trippier Lascelles Schaar Manquillo

Bruno  Shelvey Joelinton

Fraser Wood ASM

Coutinho hasn't played a complete 90 since he's come over. Bring on Willock for Shelvey in the second half.

18 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Where you at in Texas brother? Would love to catch a match if I’m down there when the season is on. Looking like I’ll be in Austin next month. 

I’m out in West Texas, near Midland/Odessa. If you’re in Austin, the sports bar at The Domain is a resident Aston Villa and Austin FC hangout with a big screen where they show all the games. And even though you’ll be surrounded by Villa fans usually, they’re a great bunch.