Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

16 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

We've lost twice at home to them in 20 years.  Muppets.

1st one was when Uriah rennie fucking hated shearer.

2nd one was when Bowyer decided he was a boxing athlete.

Are they not being a bit wry ? Like us saying we'll get our usual 3 points at Anfield ?

This game will be much tougher than Everton on Tuesday. the midfield battle in particular will be night and day. Villas midfielders are everything Evertons arent; dynamic, athletic and combative. I'm worried we might come crashing back down to earth with the shelvey/willock/joe combination. pressing Villa high up the pitch will be much riskier with this group, they have the capability to break a press and get their players running directly at our defense. Allan and Gomes were weak plodders and i think Howe specifically game planned for that to perfection. I think howe sticks with the trio that have won back to back games, lets hope he has the tactics worked out. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

2 hours ago, Palestoon said:

This game will be much tougher than Everton on Tuesday. the midfield battle in particular will be night and day. Villas midfielders are everything Evertons arent; dynamic, athletic and combative. I'm worried we might come crashing back down to earth with the shelvey/willock/joe combination. pressing Villa high up the pitch will be much riskier with this group, they have the capability to break a press and get their players running directly at our defense. Allan and Gomes were weak plodders and i think Howe specifically game planned for that to perfection. I think howe sticks with the trio that have won back to back games, lets hope he has the tactics worked out. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I agree that their midfield look dynamic going forward, but they leave a lot to be desired defensively.

I think that their defense is appalling of late, Mings is totally out of form and with konsa out they will suffer a lot. Digne gets caught way too far up the field so we should get some joy down there.

Yes, their midfield looks pretty good but I am not convinced by watkins, as long as we track the runners (we are a lot better at this now with eddie) we should be allright.

They won´t like to visit a buoyant st james park.

Other fixtures this weekend, with those around us should really spur us on.  Strong possibility teams below us will not get much, plus Leeds v Everton, Brentford v Palace etc above us. 3 points would be massive and a move towards those above us, if things go our way.

Cannot wait. 

I'd drop Willock and put Bruno in to start. Think we'll need more control and composure in the middle early doors to counteract their AM's and deep runners like McGinn. Willock should come on and cause them problems in the second half.

greetings peeps, villa fan in peace here.....but have my tin hat with me just in case (and white hankie)...always had a lot of time for newcastle - one of my best friends is a toon fan (north shields born).

im one of those weirdos that reads alot of forums regardless of the team, as always interested in hearing/reading fans opinions from all over on all matters.

im nervous for this game tbh - a rocking SJP is a great atmosphere and toon are on a bounce - i watched the everton game and the second half you had fire in the belly and just wanted it more then everton.  im a glass half empty type when it comes to us, so really not confident especially after weds night's masterclass on how to hand your opponent goals.  usually we aren't that bad defensively (mings always has a clanger in his armour mind), but hoping we can iron that out (missing konsa will be a blow but red card aside, didn't think he covered himself in glory on weds either!).

based on the leeds game, id be satisfied with a point - should be a good game though.

2 minutes ago, Paz said:

greetings peeps, villa fan in peace here.....but have my tin hat with me just in case (and white hankie)...always had a lot of time for newcastle - one of my best friends is a toon fan (north shields born).

im one of those weirdos that reads alot of forums regardless of the team, as always interested in hearing/reading fans opinions from all over on all matters.

im nervous for this game tbh - a rocking SJP is a great atmosphere and toon are on a bounce - i watched the everton game and the second half you had fire in the belly and just wanted it more then everton.  im a glass half empty type when it comes to us, so really not confident especially after weds night's masterclass on how to hand your opponent goals.  usually we aren't that bad defensively (mings always has a clanger in his armour mind), but hoping we can iron that out (missing konsa will be a blow but red card aside, didn't think he covered himself in glory on weds either!).

based on the leeds game, id be satisfied with a point - should be a good game though.

We desperately need to win to ensure we are as far away from relegation zone and on course to stay up. A point would be nice, but ideally we need to push hard for the win. I think we all see your January signings and better form under Gerrard, so Villa is a very difficult game for us. If anything the Leeds result gives us some hope.

Personally I'd go Burn for Targett and Bruno for Shelvey.

I do like Manquillo and he will offer more going forward, but I'd rather have a defensively safe pair of hands behind ASM.

I also think Willock has done alright last two games and offers a bit of balance to the midfield, box to box. Bruno essentially plays Shelvey's role at a much higher level. Shelvey showed on Tuesday he can be an absolute liability as he could have easily seen red.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Personally I'd go Burn for Targett and Bruno for Shelvey.

I do like Manquillo and he will offer more going forward, but I'd rather have a defensively safe pair of hands behind ASM.

I also think Willock has done alright last two games and offers a bit of balance to the midfield, box to box. Bruno essentially plays Shelvey's role at a much higher level. Shelvey showed on Tuesday he can be an absolute liability as he could have easily seen red.

Agree, Shelvey has improved but hell be overran by Villa

29 minutes ago, hakka said:

We desperately need to win to ensure we are as far away from relegation zone and on course to stay up. A point would be nice, but ideally we need to push hard for the win. I think we all see your January signings and better form under Gerrard, so Villa is a very difficult game for us. If anything the Leeds result gives us some hope.

yea, and that coupled with the atmosphere will make it doubly difficult for us.  st maximum was very good vs everton.  was gutted we let targett go (regardless of where he went) - he was our most improved player last season and for me is a throwback fullback where defending is his bread and butter.  think you saw the benefit of him on tues night - it allowed st max to wreak havoc in the knowledge he had sound cover behind him.

don't think you will go down - even before the takeover, i had norwich and watford as two certs for the drop at the start of the season.  i wasn;t sure about brighton either but they have had a great season so far and their football is very accomplished - an underrated team/club.

1 hour ago, Paz said:

Welcome. Expecting a much tougher game against you than Everton, they were pretty hopeless. We really need to win but a draw wouldn't be a disaster. Hoping Bruno gets his full debut as I think midfield will be key and Shelvey is too static against quick players. The atmosphere will be good again, it has been since the takeover, but it won't be as good as Everton IMO for various reasons.

Edited by Dr Venkman

19 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Welcome. Expecting a much tougher game against you than Everton, they were pretty hopeless. We really need to win but a draw wouldn't be a disaster. Hoping Bruno gets his full debut as I think midfield will be key and Shelvey is too static against quick players. The atmosphere will be good again, it has been since the takeover, but it won't be as good as Everton IMO for various reasons.

cheers.  will be interesting to see how much the leeds game has taken it out of us - it was frantic, and by the end of the game players were dropping like flies.  if leeds can repeat those energy levels against everton this wknd ill be impressed, and they will blow them away.  

i watched the game on tues - bruno looked decent for the brief time he was on the pitch - he looked just the sort of mf you've needed, and that will help your defence.  if his stats/reviews are anything to go by he will help get/keep you higher up the pitch, your defence will have a good shield and not spend so much time repelling attacks.  his back heel right in the corner flag was cheeky too!  

Re Shelvey, I thought starting him against Leeds was suicidal and he ended up playing well, scoring, and we won with a clean sheet, so hopefully the same thing happens here is he does start. I'm not a fan of him, but I have to admit that aside from his yellow against Everton he's played well and I can understand why Howe might be apprehensive about making changes even if on paper Shelvey in for Bruno seems really obvious. 

I have a feeling we'll be unchanged aside from Targett out for Burn or Manquillo, with Bruno coming on for Willock again. 

I wonder if Fraser might be rested for this. Move Joelinton over there and bring Bruno in. Nothing to suggest Fraser needs resting, his recent performances suggest he is well over his injury problem, but we might not want to risk him. Plus it gives Howe an excuse to bring in Bruno without dropping anybody.

Think Shelvey persistently gets a raw deal on the forum. He has his limitations but he's been one of the better performers since Howe came in and he's been nowhere near one of the worst parts of the Ashley regime. Think he's earned a regular starting berth and I don't see him being dropped for Bruno; seems to be an element of negative groupthink towards him.

11 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Think Shelvey persistently gets a raw deal on the forum. He has his limitations but he's been one of the better performers since Howe came in and he's been nowhere near one of the worst parts of the Ashley regime. Think he's earned a regular starting berth and I don't see him being dropped for Bruno; seems to be an element of negative groupthink towards him.

He doesn't he is just shit:

pwlgLA.jpeg

Edited by r0cafella