Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

Hopefully the fact we eventually scored more than 1 in a game since November gives the players huge confidence, as we basically are going to have to outscore them. Cannot see us keeping a clean sheet whatsoever. We're definitely playing better and players should be full of confidence.

We're likely to see an unchanged line up, save for Burn/Manquillo in for Targett.

I think it'll be a decent game. Villa aren't exactly known for being defensively sound, but they've definitely improved under Gerrard. Certainly beatable, and a win would be huge given Burley & Norwich have Liverpool & Man City respectively. It's a good test for us, a win and we can start looking up at the likes of Brentford and targeting them.

50 minutes ago, GWN said:

Agree with most of that but a point would be equally fine , accumulate.

Especially after the win against Everton. Personally I was aiming for 5 points from the three games against Everton, Villa and West Ham. Not spectacular, but a steady accumulation against very decent teams. If we get more, great, but I doubt other teams at the bottom will match that.

They're a dangerous side who are better structured than Leeds/Villa but still have their weak points. It'll be a good test for us and I'd be content with a point, tbh.

Their midfield is dynamic and I'd start Bruno to help get a hold of the game. He could easily start in place of Shelvey but I just feel he's got too much quality on the ball to play a restricted role, plus I'd want him winning the ball higher up the pitch. 

The possession battle will be interesting. 2 sides that prefer to play on the counter.

Think it will be easier to drop Shelvey for this after watching MOTD of villa vs Leeds. Leeds play a bit similar to us and Coutinho cut them to shreds with Leeds' high line. Our back 4 with Shelvey slouching around is a wet dream for him, I think Howe will play Bruno for this.

To an extent the concept of not disrupting a winning team, is not a bad one.  However, you have a squad for a reason and you play to your respective strengths based on what is in front of you.  I agree, Bruno might (hard to know yet) offer a little more against a very dynamic midfield.  I dont think he should be picked just because he is new and cost £40M but should be picked if his respective strengths are better, which in this case, I think they might be compared to Shelvey. 

Again, it's unbelievable that we'd be arguing over who to retain or drop in a midfield comprising Joelinton, Shelvey and Willock right now - just a few months back, most of us couldn't wait to see the backs of all three!:lol:

If we intend to sit deep and compact and catch them on the break (which appears to be the right way to deal with Villa's tactics), then I'd actually agree to have Bruno come in alongside Shelvey and Joe - thread passes to ASM and Fraser in the first half. Willock comes in in place of Fraser in the second, when legs are tired. Just need to explain to him that it's all tactics. He can console himself with a goal.

10 hours ago, teohgk said:

I don’t buy this “you don’t change a winning team” mentality

You play your best available players and i’m pretty sure that Bruno it’s one of them and will improve the team

Coutinho basically went straight into Villa starting 11 asap and look what’s he’s been doing for them

edit : Dan Burn should start as well if he’s healthy imo

Villa had lost their previous 3 games though 🙂 and lost 4 out of previous 5 only beating bottom of the league Norwich.

32 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think we'll be a lot more compact than Leeds were last night. The game was very stretched, but it does seem that Villa leave the CBs quite exposed as well.

Definitely, the way Leeds play leads to these very open chaotic games. I’m sure we’ll be planning on making it compact if we can. 

27 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Again, it's unbelievable that we'd be arguing over who to retain or drop in a midfield comprising Joelinton, Shelvey and Willock right now - just a few months back, most of us couldn't wait to see the backs of all three!:lol:

If we intend to sit deep and compact and catch them on the break (which appears to be the right way to deal with Villa's tactics), then I'd actually agree to have Bruno come in alongside Shelvey and Joe - thread passes to ASM and Fraser in the first half. Willock comes in in place of Fraser in the second, when legs are tired. Just need to explain to him that it's all tactics. He can console himself with a goal.

I'm not sure that is the best way to play Villa in general but we aren't the best at retaining possession so we may not have much choice. Leeds had substantially more possession than Villa apparently (didn't see the game) so both teams could be set up more for counter attacking.

6 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm not sure that is the best way to play Villa in general but we aren't the best at retaining possession so we may not have much choice. Leeds had substantially more possession than Villa apparently (didn't see the game) so both teams could be set up more for counter attacking.

We'd have to neutralise the Coutinho-Ramsey partnership so I hope they would at least have to do similar with a Bruno-ASM threat. Playing high will get us in trouble, what with our central defenders and Shelvey being quite slow. That Ramsey is geet quick.

Bruno Guimaraes should make his full Newcastle debut on Sunday after only coming off the bench in midweek, though it would be harsh to drop one of Joelinton or Joe Willock.

Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez remain injury doubts for Newcastle, though neither would have started in any case.

Matt Targett is ineligible to face his parent club on Sunday so Dan Burn may actually have to make his Newcastle debut at left-back here.

Really shouldn't be worried too much about the its harsh to drop players arguement for me like. The club comes first and we need to select the best team available to win the game. Simply put are we more likely to win with Bruno starting or not? So start him no matter what for me. 

14 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Really shouldn't be worried too much about the its harsh to drop players arguement for me like. The club comes first and we need to select the best team available to win the game. Simply put are we more likely to win with Bruno starting or not? So start him no matter what for me. 

Same opinion went for Everton , would we win , just put him in the team .

I trust in EH from day one so whatever he thinks I’m cool with. This season is about surviving, nothing else , no one player is above that aim.