Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 13/02/2022 @ 2pm (Sky)

LRD

3 hours ago, Theregulars said:

Think Shelvey persistently gets a raw deal on the forum. He has his limitations but he's been one of the better performers since Howe came in and he's been nowhere near one of the worst parts of the Ashley regime. Think he's earned a regular starting berth and I don't see him being dropped for Bruno; seems to be an element of negative groupthink towards him.

Agree 100% with this. We all know this improvement is form has a short lifespan and he absolutely should be improved on in the summer, but for now he's deserving of a starting spot over Willock who's played 45 minutes of good football this season.

My gut instinct is that if we are going to be without Trippier for Villa, then we should bring Bruno in to compensate for Trippiers quality on the ball. If Trippier makes it, then I can see the arguement for not changing the midfield. So two scenarios for me:

Trippier  Lascelles Schar  Manquillo

Shelvey

Willock            Joelinton 

Or:

Manquillo Lascelles  Schar     Burn

Shelvey

Bruno              Joelinton

Dummett is in loads of the training pictures, think he’s the most likely Targett replacement based on previous selections.

Dubravka

Manquillo Lascelles Schär Dummett

Willock Shelvey Joelinton

Fraser Wood Saint-Maximin

Going to say 2-1 instead of 3-1 based on the latest team news on both sides.

3 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

Dummett is in loads of the training pictures, think he’s the most likely Targett replacement based on previous selections.

Dubravka

Manquillo Lascelles Schär Dummett

Willock Shelvey Joelinton

Fraser Wood Saint-Maximin

Going to say 2-1 instead of 3-1 based on the latest team news on both sides.

Kin hell, it’s like we never had a January window. 

Great to see Bigi getting a start and always happy to see Ben Arfa. I hope Saylor has the captain’s armband. I’d also have Rivière starting instead of Smith but that’s just me. The question I want to ask is why is there no Obertan in there? 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Great to see Bigi getting a start and always happy to see Ben Arfa. I hope Saylor has the captain’s armband. I’d also have Rivière starting instead of Smith but that’s just me. The question I want to ask is why is there no Obertan in there? 

Obertan does not exist as a forum emoji.

20 hours ago, Theregulars said:

Think Shelvey persistently gets a raw deal on the forum. He has his limitations but he's been one of the better performers since Howe came in and he's been nowhere near one of the worst parts of the Ashley regime. Think he's earned a regular starting berth and I don't see him being dropped for Bruno; seems to be an element of negative groupthink towards him.

I used to love him. Then he went off the boil. Then back again. Then shit for ages under two different managers. Now I just think his time is coming to an end here. 

It’s always felt like he has had a place in the side. As our CB’s are not great on the ball, even Schar is a bit ropey at times, despite him being much better than the rest. Shelvey seemed like our only player that would actually get the ball forward. Other than aimless hoofs or little dinks to nobody in particular. 

It has always seemed like his mobility, the way he sits too deep most of the time and how he often slows the play down. Plus the walking red card factor a lot of weeks. It has been a position we have needed to upgrade for ages.

That seems to be coming. Now that we have signed Bruno and a Cb in Burn, that is comfortable on the ball. I think he will gradually get phased out the team.

I’m just not sure it is going to happen tomorrow. But towards the end of the season or by the start of next at the latest, should we stay up. I think he gets replaced. 

28 minutes ago, Collage said:

Tough task, no Targett and potentially without Trippier. Would be ok with a draw here.

Yeah. If you would have said we’d take 4 points from the two games this week. With the win coming against Everton. I would have been more than happy with that. 

Whilst I’d take a draw. I do think we are perhaps overrating Villa a bit? I know performances have been a lot better since Gerrard came in and they have some quality players. But The results have still been a bit up and down, haven’t they?

It’s not like we’re playing a team in the top 6, who barely concede. I think we can get at them. I just worry about the midfield for this one, as I have probably mentioned a few times already. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Whilst I’d take a draw. I do think we are perhaps overrating Villa a bit? I know performances have been a lot better since Gerrard came in and they have some quality players. But The results have still been a bit up and down, haven’t they?

It’s not like we’re playing a team in the top 6, who barely concede. I think we can get at them. I just worry about the midfield for this one, as I have probably mentioned a few times already. 

Aye W5-D2-L4 under Gerrard. They're dangerous going forward, but conceding quite a few at the moment, including two v Brentford and three v Leeds. They're beatable.

W5 D2 L4 since Gerrard came in but no truly outstanding results. They've beaten the teams around them, suggesting they're a top half team: Brighton, Leicester, Norwich, Palace and Everton. But then they also lost at Brentford and obviously couldn't see out a victory against a pretty flawed Leeds team. 

It'll be a far bigger test than Everton for sure but it's another good opportunity for us. It'd be gutting if complacency were to creep in after only a couple of wins; it needs to be approached with the same intensity as Tuesday.