Newcastle United 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (05/03/2022)

Yorkie

First win against a top ten team apparently.

This is the first time it feels like a side has come with a specific game plan to play against us, which I suppose is a compliment.

Weird match we could have been 4-0 up in the first half with our chances :lol:

The Brighton number 17 was absolute mustard by the way. Get him signed. 

Not the best performance and we still won. Burn, Schar and Joelinton were all superb. Plus Fraser got through a POWER of running again. 

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Brighton make teams play like this, they have done it to better teams than us this season.

They have also never lost 4 in a row before today, so that was the size of the task facing us.

Aye, very impressive win. Didn’t think we would win today, even at 2-0 up I was never confident. Only their third defeat away from home all season. 

Says a lot about the character of the team and the solidity we have now that we didn’t buckle when they scored. 

Hope that I can go to a game between now and the end of the season and for it not to be such a massive occasion. Was bricking it. :lol: 

My lad said the better team lost , I totally disagreed , I thought we were a much together team than Brighton who were all wind and no fart .

MOTM for me was Schar , good atmosphere, felt we were clinging on from a long way out but never felt we were gonna lose the win . 

Good times :indi:and Wor flags , fuck me you really are great . 

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Our defensive shape is so good, at the minute. Feels like the first time Howe willingly made us sit back in a match, banking on our organisation. 

It largely worked but it felt frustrating [emoji38]

fraser saying howe wanted them to stop  sitting back so deep and to push up, but they just couldnt help it.

16 minutes ago, Lenny said:

Why did Bissouma not start today? He's the one several on here have said we should be looking at, right? 

Been poor recently apparently. Possibly since they knocked back a bid from Villa. 

I was impressed with Brighton up to a point.

I thought they tried to pass us to death, which is something we've seen from teams in the past and scoffed at cos, for all the possession stats look good, it's not that effective - the likes of Rodgers' Swansea springing to mind. To their credit, it was an okay tactic; we were looking exhausted at one point, and I was thinking, 'Potter's played this well, you wouldn't begrudge them an equaliser'. 

But, ultimately, they were sorely lacking in and around the box. Pass, pass, pass, exhaust the opposition, grind them down, get in behind... Yep, can't take that away from them. But up front, they just didn't have anything that was going to get past Burn and Schar. 

Nine or ten years ago I really rated Danny Welbeck but if you're relying on him to lead the line for you in the Prem in 2022 then you're going to lose a shitload of games.