Newcastle United 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (05/03/2022)

Yorkie

Gruelling but eight unbeaten games is amazing for this group of players. We looked jaded but hung on. Not hopeful for the next four games but I think we can get enough to stay up and let the adventure begin

I was about ready to go all in on Shelvey for being back to his sloppy, lazy self but I think there was a turning point with about 20 minutes left and he picked himself up, when we went to the 4-2-3-1. Still, I really don't enjoy relying on him. 

1 minute ago, Beren said:

He's going a million miles an hour, tiring the opposition out. That's his job as an outball. Brighton had nowt left at the end, partly thanks to him. Loose balls, tired tackles, no life.

Not directed at you, but people saying "I wish he'd just pick his head up" as though he's running at Wood's speed and has all the time in the world/players alongside him. It's fine for him to lose the ball up there because one of out every five times it'll be a shot on target or a wondergoal and the same people who berate him will be hanging out his backside again. :lol:

Always thrilled to see him score, go on a 10 man dribble fest. The guys a maverick show boater (I love him) but he could do much better with the basics like see the pass is on and pass it Anyway onwards and upwards  :indi:

Bruno and his composure is a exactly what we need. Every time we cleared our lines with a hoof it just lead to Brighton recycling and starting again. 

we need to work on our play when we turn the ball over deep in our half it looks like they don’t know what to do. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Bruno and his composure is a exactly what we need. Every time we cleared our lines with a hoof it just lead to Brighton recycling and starting again. 

we need to work on our play when we turn the ball over deep in our half it looks like they don’t know what to do. 

Agree with this entirely. He represents the next evolution of this team, the confidence to keep the ball when the opposition goes into swarm mode, and punish them.

Shelley did well but he really did look knacked at the end.

Just now, r0cafella said:

100% agree with this. Players who can hold the ball under pressure and find the out ball are what separate football teams from cloggers. We need more of these, not less.

We were really bad but nice to still get the points. 

Think Fraser, Burn, Schar and Big Joe were good. Dubs, Murphy and Krafth were dog. 

Brighton are so patient and able to pass, they’re always going to make a team like us look poor. Since we either can’t or don’t try to retain possession. 

Nice goals though, TBF. 

4 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Bruno just oozes class and will get better and better. I fancy there will be a couple of changes for the next game

The ball that he played through for ASM was millimetre perfect

Thought it was going to take another mistake from us for Brighton to get the equaliser, but defensively we held firm. We gave them every opportunity to try for the equaliser which was very disappointing after a few games now where I've thought our control of a game has been improving. 

Great 3 points, but that performance in general was a few steps back.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Still thought we looked solid for the most part as well.

I was pretty confident we'd hold, especially once Bruno came on. We continued to give the ball away cheaply, but Brighton weren't that threatening. A breakaway goal from ASM was more likely.

Delighted with the result but that was a horrible game. Apart from that ten minutes immediately after our first goal when we were the better side I thought we were really sloppy. Too many loose passes. Our defensive organisation saved us today.

Bound to happen some time like, and I suppose it’s a good sign we can claw our way to results when we don’t turn up.

1 minute ago, Yassassin said:

The ball that he played through for ASM was millimetre perfect

It was something that nobody else in our squad would try to execute, or perhaps even could execute. Maybe Shelvey on one of his few good days or Big Joe if the stars aligned.

Massive win; huge shift by everyone even if some of the decision making was a bit shite at times, always going to be case at our level. Always looked like we had a goal in us when we went forward though. :indi:

Great win but we let them have way too much of the ball. None of the midfield three had a good game so no excuse not to start Bruno agaist Southampton.

Fraser was great and Schar to an extent too. On a negative note - Wood is an absolute travesty of a footballer. Offers nothing. Actually can’t remember him even being close to scoring a goal since he came and his hold up and link up play is not good. Can’t wait to see us with a proper striker.

2 minutes ago, sixx said:

Great win but we let them have way too much of the ball. None of the midfield three had a good game so no excuse not to start Bruno agaist Southampton.

Fraser was great and Schar to an extent too. On a negative note - Wood is an absolute travesty of a footballer. Offers nothing. Actually can’t remember him even being close to scoring a goal since he came and his hold up and link up play is not good. Can’t wait to see us with a proper striker.

I don't disagree but I thought Joelinton's work rate and impact was a level above Shelvey and Willock.

Edited by Mountain

1 minute ago, sixx said:

Wood is an absolute travesty of a footballer. Offers nothing. Actually can’t remember him even being close to scoring a goal since he came and his hold up and link up play is not good. Can’t wait to see us with a proper striker.

He showed some real quality for our first goal doing all of the things you say he can't do.