Chelsea 1 - 0 Newcastle United (13/03/2022)

Mike

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Plus shelvey, joelinton, willock and Fraser hopefully all back fit and available.

Huge game and test for both clubs. How do we react, many teams slump once the run is done.

If we manage to win, Everton are in a world of trouble.

We’ll feel robbed and rightly so, will be pumped and beat Everton! :indi:

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

Tough pill to swallow but we deserved something today, that penalty call was an absolute joke. Hope the lads don't drop their heads now.

I’d say it’ll boost them if anything. Held their own against a class team, robbed of a result. Should be hyped for the next one. 

Can't fault them at all for that today, strong, organised, disciplined and grafted their bollocks off. 89 minutes of battling away to the European Champions, shocking refereeing decisions going against us and still nearly came away with a deserved point. They couldn't have done much more in the circumstances. 

1 minute ago, Menace said:

Tough pill to swallow but we deserved something today, that penalty call was an absolute joke. Hope the lads don't drop their heads now.

No chance man! That was a phenomenal performance and one to be very proud of, especially with the players we had out of the team. It's even more to build on.

Also a great sign how we seamlessly switched to a different system today and were able to execute it so well.

Went away to Chelsea with Trippier, Shelvey, Wilson, Joelinton injured, ASM only for enough for the bench, and we were robbed.

So proud of the players. All of them were immense and we've grown so much as a team since Howe came in.

VAR is a fucking disgrace not giving a review for the penalty claim though. There were TWO "clear and obvious" errors there, first it was never a corner because there guy never touched the ball, and secondly it was a clear foul. Corner kick just a joke outcome from that passage of play and the one thing it should never have been.

In short. Deserved a point. Thought it was a yellow however the more you see it the worse it looks but overall one of them. However the penalty was clear and how VAR didn’t give it was unbelievable. The players should’ve made more of it TBF. Ultimately we didn’t score so lost no more than a point. Took a great goal to beat us. Just a sickener with only a few minutes to go and who scored it.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Went away to Chelsea with Trippier, Shelvey, Wilson, Joelinton injured, ASM only for enough for the bench, and we were robbed.

So proud of the players. All of them were immense and we've grown so much as a team since Howe came in.

VAR is a fucking disgrace not giving a review for the penalty claim though. There were TWO "clear and obvious" errors there, first it was never a corner because there guy never touched the ball, and secondly it was a clear foul. Corner kick just a joke outcome from that passage of play and the one thing it should never have been.

Add Willock & Fraser to that list. Two of our best performers over the last 9 games.

Unlucky but a main bulk of our team were out, denied a stonewall penalty (again) and Havertz could easily have seen red.

Frustrating but not a massive blow, prepared myself for a loss after seeing the starting line up but they done well first half and defended well second without much threat. Come this time next year we may well be ahead of Chelsea anyway.

15 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Should have sent someone on to collect a red.

I genuinely thought that's why we put Gayle on. :lol:

He went straight through that skipping little nonce immediately after coming on. 

12 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Loved us today. We’re a Proper team now man. Totally robbed but fuck it, start again Thursday. Hopefully start getting some players back from injury/illness. 

There is that. Its things like this performance that make me more trusting that many of the wins. With what we had out today... the foundations are set.

The sickening part of it was purely that it was right at the end with the added bonus of it being that emaciated smack rat scoring. If we'd got a deserved draw I could have lived with the shocking non-penalty decision and him still being on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

To not even go and review it on the screen I just can't get my head around what's the point in the system then

To protect the top 6. I know people want to believe that that's conspiratorial, but it's clear as day.

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Add Willock & Fraser to that list. Two of our best performers over the last 9 games.

I knew I was forgetting people as I typed my post, thanks. Quite the injury list yet we go away to the CL winners and deserved at least a point. Absolutely top performance and all credit to Howe.