sunderland in the EFL

Big River

2 hours ago, Izakaya said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid thing to say, but;

We always hear the 'They have won nowt in 50 year' fact kicking about. Why isn't winning the championship considered a trophy? We're 2 for 2 in championship league titles, it's listed as an honour on both Rafa and Chris Hughton's record, we were certainly given a trophy for it, but why is it always overlooked when talking about a teams titles? 

It is considered a trophy, but it's (rightly imo) not a major trophy. How could it be when by definition the best teams in the country don't play in it? If we're honest, the big prize in that division is promotion to the PL with the trophy being no more than a nice bonus for whoever finishes top. Iirc you actually get a trophy to lift for finishing second in that division now :anguish:

If anyone starts trying to use second division titles to prove they're a "big club" then they're only really proving that they're not.

9 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

It is considered a trophy, but it's (rightly imo) not a major trophy. How could it be when by definition the best teams in the country don't play in it? If we're honest, the big prize in that division is promotion to the PL with the trophy being no more than a nice bonus for whoever finishes top. Iirc you actually get a trophy to lift for finishing second in that division now :anguish:

If anyone starts trying to use second division titles to prove they're a "big club" then they're only really proving that they're not.

Do you really? I kind of like that because for some reason it always irked me that 1st gets a trophy and you could get one if you sneak 6th then get through three more games but 2nd traditionally gets nothing. :lol:

20 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Fuck, they sound like they’re in deep shit. If they don’t get promoted I wonder what the future holds 

Even if they get promoted, unless they get promoted again within a small timeframe they could become a new Wigan or Bolton and be stuck.

13 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Someone’s missed a trick not changing Sam Fender’s ‘Seventeen Going Under’ to ‘Sunluns Going Under’. With a 1.25:1 wages to turnover ratio it’s a real possibility.

Can they afford to be promoted? Players will want much improved salaries to play in the champo!!

17 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Also appear convinced we're going to Morecambe en masse :lol:

I don't even know where Morecambe is :lol:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/mags-in-morecambe.1577402/#post-35961916"

Be interesting to see how many forgo a thrashing by Hendo and the lads to watch us"

^   :facepalm:

Edited by Dancing Brave

Just now, FloydianMag said:

Can they afford to be promoted? Players will want much improved salaries to play in the champo!!

Most are on generous automatic increases anyway. I don't think they'll be much better off financially in the championship unless the hike up ticket prices.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

As I said a few weeks ago, the winds of Administration are blowing their way. Failure to go up will hasten those clouds very quickly.

Mind, perfect timing to release this so the players, fans and owners are shitting themselves before the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Most are on generous automatic increases anyway. I don't think they'll be much better off financially in the championship unless the hike up ticket prices.

Which their fans won't pay.

16 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/mags-in-morecambe.1577402/#post-35961916"

Be interesting to see how many forgo a thrashing by Hendo and the lads to watch us"

^   :facepalm:

If Liverpool are 'the lads' does this also mean that their fans are MLFs?

12 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

As I said a few weeks ago, the winds of Administration are blowing their way. Failure to go up will hasten those clouds very quickly.

Nah, Grumps says they’re fine. And he’s an ex-spurt ye knaa.

They can't afford to go up, they can't afford to stay down. The issue for them is that whilst the top 25 or so clubs are quickly getting richer, they are getting poorer. They either need to accept that they are a 3rd division club and run themselves within the means their small fanbase can provide, or carry on hemorrhaging money on wages and go out of business and end up like Darlington. 

Am I missing something here? He's saying that that owners are now owed over £2m by the club, but didn't the owners previously write off something like £25m that they borrowed from the club when they bought it? And he's presenting it as a good thing?