Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

16 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm probably going to attract some right pelters here - and it isn't the intent - but Ronaldinho firmly sits in that 'good player but not great' for me.  Flat-track bully who never grabbed hold of any 'big' games that I saw.  Genuinely world class players do - Maradona, Messi, Zidane, C Ronaldo, real Ronaldo, van Basten etc etc - had some of their best games in the biggest matches.

I'd second some of the bigger names listed here *cough Totti cough* but I think I've likely expressed an unpopular enough one!

He's one of the best players of all time. He turned up in the big international tournaments, the Champions League and he royally took the piss domestically. He was unplayable. I know opinions are like arseholes mate, but your arsehole must stink

Edited by Holmesy

Ronaldinho was literally applauded off the pitch at the Bernabeu, he was hardly a flat track bully like :lol:

He had great seasons but never had the robotic consistency of someone like Ronaldo, Lewa, or Messi, but on his day he was up there with them.

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

Really!? Always looks a good prospect when I’ve seen him. Although that isn’t a great deal. 

Runs around a lot, frequently usefully, but doesn't score anywhere near as many as he should, misses so many chances.

If West Ham want him, as rumoured (although there's no way SG will sell him) for £50m, I'll give him a lift down there.

Of the two strikers, I'd take Ings over Watkins.

Seen him mentioned regards Ronaldinho, but I’m going to suggest John Terry is massively over-rated. He spent far too much time sliding on his backside, making last ditch tackles to be considered a great defender IMHO. Maybe just my opinion but great defenders snuff out danger before it gets to that, via clever jockeying and interceptions and rarely go to ground.

Like Sewelley was saying before, any player can be seen as over-rated if the reasons make sense, but some of these reasons make no sense like.

John Terry slides around making too many last ditch tackles and didn't read the game enough? Reading the game was surely easily his biggest strength.

Edited by Kid Icarus

All great defenders make/made last ditch tackles. Just because Maldini said some bollocks about defenders tackling two decades ago doesn't make it true. Maldini himself loved a tackle.

Tackling is unfortunately a dying art.

So Petr Cech was overrated because he had a good defense in front of him but John Terry is also overrated despite being the main component of that defense? 

Also Ashley Cole put Terry in his best 11 and I’ll have his opinion over any of yours any day of the week. 

Edited by Astroblack

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

So Petr Cech was overrated because he had a good defense in front of him but John Terry is also overrated despite being the main component of that defense? 

Also Ashley Cole put Terry in his best 11 and I’ll have his opinion over any of yours any day of the week. 

Different people posting different things.

Cech was overrated in my eyes because he was talked about as the one of, if not THE best 'keepers in the world while regularly making 'uncharacteristic errors'

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Different people posting different things.

Cech was overrated in my eyes because he was talked about as the one of, if not THE best 'keepers in the world while regularly making 'uncharacteristic errors'

fair enough. Personally I think Cech was a solid keeper. Did well when called upon, won them the Champions League final, was excellent all throughout that campaign. I feel like of all the great PL keepers out there, he probably had to make the least amount of saves to make because of how good the defense was. But when the chips were down like the night in Barcelona, he really showed you what he was made of. 

2 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

fair enough. Personally I think Cech was a solid keeper. Did well when called upon, won them the Champions League final, was excellent all throughout that campaign. I feel like of all the great PL keepers out there, he probably had to make the least amount of saves to make because of how good the defense was. But when the chips were down like the night in Barcelona, he really showed you what he was made of. 

Yeah, I agree he was a class goalkeeper for the most part, just also overrated.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah, I agree he was a class goalkeeper for the most part, just also overrated.

I can see that. Although I do think he’s fairly rated. Whenever there’s a list of the best goalkeepers in PL history, Cech is usually further down the list. He gets forgotten about most of the time. 

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I rate Carvalho higher than Terry, but Terry was still very good.

I remember watching Wilfred Zaha’s first ever game for Man Utd and he was going one on one with Terry. I was thinking to myself “this is it, the end of John Terry” and Terry easily took the ball off him and Zaha was never seen in a Man Utd shirt again. 

Wayne Rooney regularly cites John Terry as the best defender he’s ever played against and many other players do, too. 

Feel like in a few years, people are going to start saying Vidic was better than Rio, Matip better than Van Dijk and Otamendi better than Kompany just to be controversial. 

Edited by Astroblack

20 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Carvalho was THE master at dark arts. VAR would tear him to shreds with some of the stuff he got away with

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I thought Gallas and Carvalho made Terry look good. Again I’m saying he’s overrated, not a complete plodder. I just personally think a defender like Cannavaro made Terry look ordinary.

No comment on his value at the top level, but when we signed Terry when we were in the Championship, I thought we were dealing with someone coming for a big last pay day whilst taking the piss.

Couldn't have been further from the truth, his attitude was absolutely spot on, he was an absolute winner week in, week out.

Watching a mediocre team for so long, you don't realise this. Then when you get one like him, even one at the very end of his career and you see his quality, yes, but also his drive an intense application, you realise you're playing a different sport to the ones these top players play week in, week out.

9 minutes ago, brummie said:

No comment on his value at the top level, but when we signed Terry when we were in the Championship, I thought we were dealing with someone coming for a big last pay day whilst taking the piss.

Couldn't have been further from the truth, his attitude was absolutely spot on, he was an absolute winner week in, week out.

Watching a mediocre team for so long, you don't realise this. Then when you get one like him, even one at the very end of his career and you see his quality, yes, but also his drive an intense application, you realise you're playing a different sport to the ones these top players play week in, week out.

Trippier and Bruno.have had this effect on me.

Completely forgot what a footballer looked like.

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

Hatem Ben Arfa.

Fire in the hole.... #Grenaaade

Aside Newcastle fans, nobody else in this country really mentions him.

From our point of view, he represented the opposite of the Ashley/Pardew era; talent, hope, entertainment.

From a technical point of view, nobody touched HBA since Beardsley. He was outrageously gifted.

Yes, if you want to be pedantic, there's a few reasons why top managers might not have touched him but that doesn't take away from his talent.

Until Bruno, noone has excited me like watching Hatem.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Aside Newcastle fans, nobody else in this country really mentions him.

From our point of view, he represented the opposite of the Ashley/Pardew era; talent, hope, entertainment.

From a technical point of view, nobody touched HBA since Beardsley. He was outrageously gifted.

Yes, if you want to be pedantic, there's a few reasons why top managers might not have touched him but that doesn't take away from his talent.

Until Bruno, noone has excited me like watching Hatem.

He's overrated largely on here imo. I haven't witnessed it off here. He was outrageously talented but had attitude issues it'd seem off the pitch. I think a good mark of real top class talents is that they almost always end up at top teams. He has, of course, done it in France but no one else has really batted an eye lid. Like the kid, and what he represented at the time but was capable of being even better imo.

Same goes for ASM but in a different way for me. 

Just now, Heron said:

He's overrated largely on here imo. I haven't witnessed it off here. He was outrageously talented but had attitude issues it'd seem off the pitch. I think a good mark of real top class talents is that they almost always end up at top teams. He has, of course, done it in France but no one else has really batted an eye lid. Like the kid, and what he represented at the time but was capable of being even better imo.

Same goes for ASM but in a different way for me. 

Yeah but I'd argue that even on here people begrudgingly understand that he didn't have the correct mentality to do what players like Salah have.

The worshipping on here is more to do with the insane talent he possessed at a time of desperation for the club.