Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

13 minutes ago, toon25 said:

The player, not the poster.

But, you know, KaKa the poster will make one too many mistakes. N-O admins will see what I already knew, and they go in there, they will march in there. They go, Right, yeah, toon25 was right. You've pissed off MrRaspberryJam and you've pissed off NEEJ. 

31 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

But, you know, KaKa the poster will make one too many mistakes. N-O admins will see what I already knew, and they go in there, they will march in there. They go, Right, yeah, toon25 was right. You've pissed off MrRaspberryJam and you've pissed off NEEJ. 

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Perfect deployment sir! 

2 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I think it’s interesting to wonder which players could’ve played any position on the pitch and still been outstanding. Messi would likely still be one of the best ever regardless of where he’d ended up (though maybe limited as a traditional CB due to his height).  

Would Maldini have made for a world class striker, for example?

Not sure about striker, but Maldini would have easily been an excellent winger I reckon and at the end of his career could have done a job at defensive midfield. I know what you mean as well, the absolute best would have been great in more than one position (except goalkeeper) almost without exception

2 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I think it’s interesting to wonder which players could’ve played any position on the pitch and still been outstanding. Messi would likely still be one of the best ever regardless of where he’d ended up (though maybe limited as a traditional CB due to his height).  

Would Maldini have made for a world class striker, for example?

It's easier to be a defender IMO

I also don't get this whole thing about scoring apparently being the hardest part of the game tbh. Without question the hardest part of the game for me was always dribbling past a smart defender who knows when to back off, double up, turn you away from goal etc. I've never thought that scoring's that hard.

It's why I find the superhuman individual Messi goals mind blowing way beyond any goal stats on their own.

Edited by Kid Icarus

18 minutes ago, triggs said:

It's easier to be a defender IMO

I’m not sure I agree. It seems impossible to quantify, but it’d be interesting to see stats for “goals prevented” just like we do “goals scored.” Maybe there are already advanced metrics like that, I’m not sure. Not talking about saves, mind. :lol:

The whole point of the game is to score more than your opponent, obviously. So every team’s energy is naturally directed towards that goal…often even teams that don’t actively have the ball! 

Not that any fucker can score goals, but being really good at preventing goals is a really underrated skill set IMO.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It’s a lot harder to do something creative with the ball, get past someone or score a goal than it is to block a shot, head something away or make a tackle.

This feels contradictory. A lot of disrespect coming in for defenders at the moment. :lol:

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

This feels contradictory. A lot of disrespect coming in for defenders at the moment. :lol:

I’m just saying that from personal experience. :lol: I didn’t have the commitment to learn tricks etc or improve finishing but the other things were easier so I played there whenever I played.

On 13/05/2022 at 22:41, Tomato Deuce said:

Not that any fucker can score goals, but being really good at preventing goals is a really underrated skill set IMO.

And even harder to appear to do so effortlessly a la Woodgate, Albert, Des Walker etc etc

2 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I was in year eight and first lessons got cancelled so we could all watch it in the hall on a big screen.

We had the same. Robbie Keane's goal against Germany was one of the best memories of my childhood. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We had the same. Robbie Keane's goal against Germany was one of the best memories of my childhood. :lol:

Middle of Leaving Cert English Paper 2 for me.

We went into the exam when it was 1-0 to Germany. Some lad ran up to the exam hall and shouted "1-1. Robbie Keane in the last minute! Yeah!!"

Whole exam hall erupted then we got back to writing :lol:

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

I offer two pieces of slightly contradictory conventional wisdom.

1) It is easier to coach good defending than good attacking, because the latter requires natural flair.

2) A team is strong from the back forwards, and the middle outwards.

Ronaldinho was so special, was probably my favourite non-NUFC player when I was a kid apart from El Fenomeno. To see someone take the piss out of opposing players with such regularity. It’s only really Messi who has taken the piss out of people more but he’s done it in a more clinical way, whereas Ronaldinho’s way was so carefree

Guest HTT II

Ronaldinho was pure street football, a joy to watch, my boy is only 8 and he’s already an idol of his, he will be long remembered as one of the greatest and his skill set, wow! 

Guest HTT II

Okocha too, what a baller he was! My nephew learned all his skills watching his DVD years ago. 

6 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

:lol: What pub were you at as a bairn at like 9/10am on a weekday?

I was in year eight and first lessons got cancelled so we could all watch it in the hall on a big screen.

We were allowed to start late about. Remember walking up to school nearly in tears ?