Nick Pope

Rich

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

He’s definitely lost confidence since Liverpool and he’s still not great with his feet, though improving/has improved, but let’s not forget he was at consistent levels higher than most/any of us had seen from any keeper until that game. He’s still got loads of credit in the bank.

Agreed, and it’s not like his overall performance has dropped off massively, he just looks consistently unsure now in that part of his game. I do think he’s a target for an upgrade for a team playing in the CL though. Has to be counter-balanced with the need to upgrade elsewhere though and too much change too quick won’t go well.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Can see him as our no1 for a good few years,although he occasionally gives me the heebie jeebies with his footwork. Martinez distribution was good yesterday,those little floaters to the full backs,so accurate

I think the 'upgrade' talk can calm down. Revisit it in 12 months if his confidence still hasn't returned, but this looks like nerves talking right now considering we're third with one of the best defence in Europe let alone England.

2 hours ago, magvicar said:

He was man of the match against Brentford.

He was let down badly by the defence yesterday.

He'll be fine.

He was probably our man of the match yesterday too (not really much of a compliment though).

The man's absolutely class and I expect him to be our number 1 for a few more years.

As a goalkeeper myself, I thought there were at least two of the goals (perhaps including the disallowed goal too) that crept under him or he had poor attempts to save. Would've expected better from his quality. 

Definitely not looking as strong as earlier in the season. 

Yeah he's definitely had some doubts creep into his game. Hopefully will iron out with time though.

It's a pretty high stress season. He came here probably hoping for a tilt at 7th or 8th, not fighting for the Champion's League having been suspended at the last moment from his first ever cup final and maybe feeling guilty about the result. He deserves some leeway, he's doing more good than harm.

Just done an hour+ podcast with Ben Foster. Decent listen, recorded after the Brentford game.

Approx. around the 15 minute mark onwards, they discuss confidence and dealing with mistakes, which I think gives some insight into how he's approaching playing for us at the moment re: being brave and forcing himself out to sweep up and claim balls.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Really like him as a GK and person. Was noticeable when the GKs had a keep up/ball control session he was the worst mind ?

He's so bad with his feet :lol: If the noises he makes were broadcast live during a match 50,000 people would shit themselves.

Edited by 80

On 17/04/2023 at 09:45, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's the best any PL team can get, until you get to the level of Alisson and Ederson world-class elite goalkeepers. 

When we make that step, who knows. 

Ederson is excellent at sweeping. But I don't think he's great at the other elements. Although tbf he's rarely tested.

I've come to accept that it's always going to be a bit of a tightrope when he comes out for the ball. But I think Odegaard's goal is the first time I've been really disappointed in him as a shot stopper. I know there were bodies in front and he must have seen it late, but he has to do better there.

8 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I've come to accept that it's always going to be a bit of a tightrope when he comes out for the ball. But I think Odegaard's goal is the first time I've been really disappointed in him as a shot stopper. I know there were bodies in front and he must have seen it late, but he has to do better there.

We have the best defence in the premier league and Pope's been a massive part of that.

I don't think there's anything to worry about with Pope and all keepers will make the odd mistakes now and then.

Criticising him for Odegaard’s goal feel’s harsh to me, it’s gone straight through Botman’s legs which makes it a very difficult save. Similar to the wolves goal early in the season (which I think may have been through willock’s legs).

4 hours ago, huss9 said:

shay part of the coaching set up now?

Was just a one off. There was a segment on Sky before the game on Sunday where he was invited to train with the first team. It must be online on YouTube somewhere.