Nick Pope

Rich

Pope's been excellent over the last week. Not a criticism of the guy - really love him.

But when watching the NLD yesterday it was noticeable how much more comfortable the GKs were with their feet. Like both GKs arguably better than Lascelles on the ball. Spurs built-up with a back 3 consisting of the GK and 2 defenders. Bissouma would drop deep to create 4 proper ball players. It's just a level above in that build up phase of play. And it dawned on me that to really hit the top (not saying Spurs are at that level) we'll need better than Pope on the ball. 

Love Pope mind. Been a top player for us. But just had a thought into the future. I thought Pope might be with us to the top.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pope's been excellent over the last week. Not a criticism of the guy - really love him.

But when watching the NLD yesterday it was noticeable how much more comfortable the GKs were with their feet. Like both GKs arguably better than Lascelles on the ball. Spurs built-up with a back 3 consisting of the GK and 2 defenders. Bissouma would drop deep to create 4 proper ball players. It's just a level above in that build up phase of play. And it dawned on me that to really hit the top (not saying Spurs are at that level) we'll need better than Pope on the ball. 

Love Pope mind. Been a top player for us. But just had a thought into the future. I thought Pope might be with us to the top.

Been pretty obvious for awhile imo. It would be a major upgrade as good as Pope is, a GK with feet would improve the team all the way up the pitch due to the positive impact on our style. Likely to be one of the final pieces of the puzzle though, but massive for us when it happens imo.

Take Ederson/Allison out of their respective teams and replace with just a regular top shot stopper and I guarantee they lose a huge part of their game.

I don't know anything about the newly promoted teams keepers, but out of the other regularly starting keepers in the league Pope is comfortably the worst of the lot with his feet. Having a keeper you're comfortable passing the ball to is so important when so many teams uses high pressing. We lose possession often due to having to aimlessly lump the ball up top when pressed instead of playing it to the keeper (which admittedly is the better option for us considering how crap Pope is at controlling the ball with his feet).

As far as first team improvement goes, getting a ball playing keeper (is that a term? :lol: )would be one of the most transformational signings we could make at the moment. Difficult to fine one who is even close to Pope in all other aspects though.

Pope has been a very good short to medium term signing. Not only is he an excellent shot stopper, but his sweeping counters the lack of recovery pace in the back line. Long term though, I'd be shocked if the plan isn't to get a keeper who's decent with the ball at his feet.

16 hours ago, Smal said:

Raya is honestly not that good with his feet. Better than Pope like, but I reckon Ramsdale's better. In fact if Ramsdale becomes available we might look at him. 

Had similar thoughts. I think Ramsdale might be our next goalkeeper. Fits the profile—personality, skill set wise, and top quality but still only 25 with room for improvement. 

Starting to rack up those clean sheets numbers again. Let's hope we can go on a good run of non conceding again. Our record went to total shit at some point last year and had carried through to this. But the boys seem to be getting back to locking teams out again. 😊