James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Quite happy he's not coming here. Never really rated him and get Wed have to fit him in. He'll go missing at spurs after a good start. He doesn't have the mentality to survive there or succeed here. 

Glad it's over. Good luck to him.

Why Spurs moved ahead of Newcastle for Maddison

Harry De Cosemo, BBC Sport

Newcastle United were long-term admirers of James Maddison, having made two bids for him last summer.

But he never quite fit either of the two priority positions the Magpies want to strengthen in midfield.

Their main target was a deep-lying midfielder in order to free up Bruno Guimaraes to play higher up the pitch and they are closing in on AC Milan's Sandro Tonali, with an announcement expected imminently.

Adding another option on the right of their attacking three is next on the list, as well as a left-back and a right-sided centre-back.

But with such a hefty outlay on Tonali, they are likely to take stock before another big move because they are conscious of Financial Fair Play regulations. They expect to make two big-money signings this summer, looking for value elsewhere.

Maddison operates more as a number 10. Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is a huge fan and targeted him specifically, but with the player keen to go where he was wanted, the first move was crucial and Tottenham reacted quicker.

RB Leipzig's Dominik Szoboszlai is of interest to Newcastle, albeit not at the price of his £60m release clause. BBC Sport has been told the German club expect him to depart though, so that could be one to watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united

200 page thread on a player that doesn’t belong to us. Some of our own players don’t even have threads this long. 

Seriously need a transfer rumours sub-forum. Put all these crackpot threads in there and move them over to the main forum when the player is holding up a Newcastle United shirt. 

8 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

200 page thread on a player that doesn’t belong to us. Some of our own players don’t even have threads this long. 

Seriously need a transfer rumours sub-forum. Put all these crackpot threads in there and move them over to the main forum when the player is holding up a Newcastle United shirt. 

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

28 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Newcastle United were long-term admirers of James Maddison, having made two bids for him last summer.

But he never quite fit either of the two priority positions the Magpies want to strengthen in midfield.

Their main target was a deep-lying midfielder in order to free up Bruno Guimaraes to play higher up the pitch and they are closing in on AC Milan's Sandro Tonali, with an announcement expected imminently.

Adding another option on the right of their attacking three is next on the list, as well as a left-back and a right-sided centre-back.

But with such a hefty outlay on Tonali, they are likely to take stock before another big move because they are conscious of Financial Fair Play regulations. They expect to make two big-money signings this summer, looking for value elsewhere.

Maddison operates more as a number 10. Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is a huge fan and targeted him specifically, but with the player keen to go where he was wanted, the first move was crucial and Tottenham reacted quicker.

RB Leipzig's Dominik Szoboszlai is of interest to Newcastle, albeit not at the price of his £60m release clause. BBC Sport has been told the German club expect him to depart though, so that could be one to watch.

Ahhhh we’re taking stock again. So glad we’ve got these journalists around to tell us what is actually happening. 

40 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I mean, we were clearly interested in him at the right price and the right terms. Once the wage demands crept way above our current ceiling we probably stepped back.

Simples

I reckon we wanted him at our salary cap

He wanted to join us at his salary expectations.

Spurs got him as we were not prepared to move on our offer.

Nothing to do with London or Champions League football but an extra 10 / 15 million across the length of a contract will still turn a  millionaires head.

I just don't think he was the one we were prepared to break our model for and restrict any future dealings 

53 minutes ago, MagMal said:

I will laugh my cock off when they sell Kane to pay for him, but I do think he has moved for money and life style reasons rather than footballing issues.

Think that was always going to be the case. They'll get Maddison and buy a £50m-ish striker I reckon. If the striker turns out good they'll have done well out of it. 

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

:lol: So weird when people get this het-up about threads/forum organisation, particularly transfer-related threads during the transfer window. Like it's somehow obstructing the many hot topics and pressing football discussions you get in late June. 

The only interest I have left in Maddison is if he's not the answer, then who will provide a similar role? Whatever else his shortcomings, he does have quality in the final third.

So now I'm intrigued as to who we'll go for if we've let him go to Spurs. Not seeing many similar types we've gone for, other than a couple of teenagers who have been mentioned, but they are more future prospects than players who will be ready for CL football in the coming season. 

If it is £40m (big if) then it looks fantastic value when we paid similar for Gordon (5 years younger, but potential vs proven). I think and hope the fee will be higher than that.

The money we've paid for Gordon and the huge bid for Tonali suggests we have more to play with than we are letting on in terms of getting in a creative player and a defender. I don't think we'd spend 110M on Gordon and Tonali and then have pennies to spend on other areas.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

All the priority positions most people would consider need strengthening.

Reassuring.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

But we’ve already got Bruno in thr team.  We need other players with a cute pass in them. 

We have him basically as a 6. With Tonali he has more license to go forward or be an 8.

And yeah we do have a need for a cute pass, even with Bruno pushed further forward. I'm sure we are looking for it as Maddison isn't the only one and they'll be able to press as well.

Edited by madras

5 minutes ago, madras said:

We have him basically as a 6. With Tonali he has more license to go forward or be an 8.

Tonali is pretty handy with his passing too to be fair. Bruno will almost certainly have more influence in the final 3rd with Tonali coming in. I think they’re probably looking more at a right sided goal scoring winger/forward now. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Tonali is pretty handy with his passing too to be fair. Bruno will almost certainly have more influence in the final 3rd with Tonali coming in. I think they’re probably looking more at a right sided goal scoring winger/forward now. 

He’s not a cute passer like a Maddison or even Bruno. We need a creative player imo whether CM or RW. And we need to be functional without Bruno.  Tonali’s a better passer than the others but I still think we need other options to progress in midfield. Imo anyway.