James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

12 hours ago, Decky said:

I think I'd prefer it if we avoided Maddison, and anyone from that dreadful Leicester team. I was all for Maddison all season but his attitude has been absolutely shit when Leicester needed him to stand up and be counted. I'm not sure I want a player like that here when there are other options out there. He obviously has the talent of course. 

Said the same last week, my Leicester supporting mate hates him for this reason.

Someone raised a point that it can happen when a team is struggling but one of the things you cannot accuse any of our current players of is hiding and I don’t us to sign players who’ll do that. 

Leicester have been dreadful but Maddison patently hasn’t. In a team that’s second bottom of the league he’s got more goals and assists than anyone in our side apart from Wilson. Not sure what people are seeing that suggest he’s got a bad attitude, but they’d be nailed to the foot of the table without his contribution this season.

He’d be an absolutely first rate signing.

11 hours ago, Ben said:

In our current formation who does he play instead of ? Willock ? 

He's obviously better on the ball than Willock, much more accomplished finisher, but he doesn't have either the pace or workrate that Willock brings. Not sure at all about that tbh.

30 minutes ago, christ said:

Leicester have been dreadful but Maddison patently hasn’t. In a team that’s second bottom of the league he’s got more goals and assists than anyone in our side apart from Wilson. Not sure what people are seeing that suggest he’s got a bad attitude, but they’d be nailed to the foot of the table without his contribution this season.

He’d be an absolutely first rate signing.

Maddison is a very talented footballer, and he would probably do really well in a side that totally dominates possession, I think he would make a decent signing for Man City as a squad player. A big problem at Leicester though is their best players (Maddison, Barnes, and Tielemans) are pretty shit out of possession. They lack intensity in their pressing and they’re soft in challenges.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

Maddison is a very talented footballer, and he would probably do really well in a side that totally dominates possession, I think he would make a decent signing for Man City as a squad player. A big problem at Leicester though is their best players (Maddison, Barnes, and Tielemans) are pretty shit out of possession. They lack intensity in their pressing and they’re soft in challenges.

We’ve seen that Howe can improve and transform players to how he wants to be fair 

Depends on the budget and others coming in too, but I wouldn’t hesitate to bring him in. Part of the process is seeing what they add to their current team, and what they can add to us. It’s night and day, a side like Leicester and stepping into our team where he will flourish imo. 

4 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I’ve always thought Maddison was pretty good at defending from the front (no stats to back this up, just my perception from watching him play over the years). Leicester were never a super high intensity team, but it didn’t appear to me to be a glaring deficiency in his game. Certainly can’t remember him being particularly lazy.

The problem with ‘pressing’ in the manner that we do or Liverpool did in previous years is that it’s predominantly a tactical issue. It lives and dies on how well it’s being done across an entire team. The issue at Leicester doesn’t appear to be individuals not pulling their weight, but a team that don’t appear to know what they’re doing.

8 minutes ago, christ said:

I’ve always thought Maddison was pretty good at defending from the front (no stats to back this up, just my perception from watching him play over the years). Leicester were never a super high intensity team, but it didn’t appear to me to be a glaring deficiency in his game. Certainly can’t remember him being particularly lazy.

The problem with ‘pressing’ in the manner that we do or Liverpool did in previous years is that it’s predominantly a tactical issue. It lives and dies on how well it’s being done across an entire team. The issue at Leicester doesn’t appear to be individuals not pulling their weight, but a team that don’t appear to know what they’re doing.

That doesn't describe the Leicester I've watched in a few games recently.  Those performances were utterly gutless and pathetic, and Maddison was as bad as any of them.  It isn't even about pressing - just playing with zero heart.  I'd be spitting blood if I was watching that bunch of strollers in B&W.

I don’t think Maddison is really a lazy player, I just don’t think he’s particularly athletic or strong, and when he’s in a 50/50 challenge the chances are he will lose it. He might still make a good signing, but I can’t help but wonder if we’re in a position to get someone better. Maddison isn’t the superstar signing for us that he would have been last summer.

Early on there were a couple of moments where he probably should have just got rid but throughout the game what I noticed was how comfortable he was on the ball, he retained possession so well and the problem each time was a lack of passing options.

The problem we have in our midfield is outside of Bruno (not lately) we are not comfortable just holding on to the ball and considering the next pass, I get our style of play is 100mph and intense but there are times when taking a moment (if it's the right player) is necessary and that's what Maddison can add

Plus 10 goals and 9 assists in a shite Leicester side is outstanding 

56 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I don’t think Maddison is really a lazy player, I just don’t think he’s particularly athletic or strong, and when he’s in a 50/50 challenge the chances are he will lose it. He might still make a good signing, but I can’t help but wonder if we’re in a position to get someone better. Maddison isn’t the superstar signing for us that he would have been last summer.

A team of 11 athletes will only get us so far. We do need some more cultured players as well. If we miss out on 4th, people will point to the recent missed opportunities to wrap it up, but you could just as fairly look at all the draws earlier in the season where we couldn't unlock stubborn defences despite overwhelming possession and territory. In an ideal world you'd find someone built like Joelinton with the vision and technique of Modric, but that's not going to happen. I think Maddison could be like our Odegaard. No, I'm not saying they're identical players nor that their roles would be, but he'd move between the lines, he can take the ball on the turn brilliantly and quickly make the right pass, he can find the runners while offering massive goal and assist threat as he keeps proving every single season.

As for who makes way, that's a problem we want. We need competition for places, especially playing in Europe. Bruno is playing half crocked and Longstaff is out and our season is in danger of petering out as a result. Top teams have different options and are more able to deal with that kind of situation.

Edited by ohmelads

2 hours ago, brummie said:

He's a great player, but when things are not going well, he always looks like one of the first to hide to me. He's also perma-crocked.

Talented, though.

is he?

he's missed 6 games this season, 2 last. The season before was pretty bad for him injury wise but that's not the norm for him really.