James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

12 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

£40m is a good price for a player of his quality. Must've been his wages that we've turned our noses up at. Spurs still have larger revenue streams than us at the end of the day.

Hopefully we have a good alternative lined up.

Yep, about all you can say at this point. Good deal for Spurs, but not one we can match just yet.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yep, about all you can say at this point. Good deal for Spurs, but not one we can match just yet.

Keep going back to the fact it's so exciting as a fan that I'm pretty 'meh' about us missing out on a player as good as Maddison as I trust the recruitment to have someone else as good/if not better lined up.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Yeah you can probably pay more on fee and less on wages if you buy from the continent. In terms our FFP wages are probably a bigger risk than fee amounts.

But it still comes down to the overall deal. For example if Tonali (not sayingbit was an either/or) is a fee of 60mill (Maddison is reported as 40m) and is on 50kpw less than Maddison, the Tonali deal still works out more expensive even allowing for the lesser wages.

We need one AM or winger who gets us 20-25 goals and assists. If it's a winger, then the Joe's move nearer the CM pool, if it's an AM, they're in the wide-left first/CM second group. Either way works perfectly to me, just think Maddison at £40m is as close to guaranteeing those sorts of numbers and was perfect for us.

27 minutes ago, madras said:

But it still comes down to the overall deal. For example if Tonali (not sayingbit was an either/or) is a fee of 60mill (Maddison is reported as 40m) and is on 50kpw less than Maddison, the Tonali deal still works out more expensive even allowing for the lesser wages.

But also is much younger and potentially has greater resale value to consider. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye there'd be loads of scope for game time given how flexible Gordon, Joelinton and Willock are. Maddison could rotate between the AM role and either flank too in certain games. If we get Szoboszlai or similar then brilliant but I think we've missed a trick here at the price he's going for. 

Aye.  If we get the Guler lad or similar I’m good.  

If not we still have a creative problem. 

13 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

Fuck him. If the fee is 40 million there's no way we were interested 

Anyone who thinks they've overpaid at that price is wrong. Wages are another matter of course if he's on the reported just under 200k a week.

Think it’s the wages it appears and his desire to live in London. Which pushed us away. All good. It’s simple math and personal preference issue then. 

I normally don’t care about the wage discussion but if we’ve got a system in place and there is a strong financial and dressing room cultural reason to keep it moving steadily then I totally back that. 

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Wait.. Why do we keep talking about breaking the wage sealing? Didn't we already do that with Tonali now?

Talk of him getting around £125k, the same as Bruno and Trippier.

1 minute ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I guess because we don't want a leaky transfer bath. I'm just glad we ceiled the Tonali signing. 

Shame I edited before you posted the reply. You misquoted me?

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

That would be really good. Not as high as ealier reports I believe?

“transfer expert Fabrizio Romano claiming the young Italian’s potential six-year contract at St James’ Park will be worth around £132,500-a-week plus add-ons. This would rank him amongst the club’s highest earners”

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/sandro-tonali-newcastle-united-contract-length-and-wages-revealed-amid-ac-milan-ps60m-transfer-talks-4192467

I was undecided with Maddison. His stats are good but every time I've seen him I can't help but feel that he wouldn't fit. At one point I thought he should be our number one target, now I'm not that fussed. Especially if we have something else lined up.

Here's my prediction. He won't play another game in the Champions League again.

6 minutes ago, Aiston said:

The work the club has been clearly putting in to try sign him for the last 6-12 months :lol:

Clearly ? Since last summer has there been any bid ? Is it possible because we bid then and because he hadn't moved since that the link was media speculation ?

Edited by madras

Talksport were saying earlier that we never made a bid which basically forced Leicester to drop their asking price.

Doubt if we went in for him we'd have gotten him for 40m, I'm guessing we didn't want to get involved in a bidding war. 

I'm also not fussed if he goes to Spurs. He's a good player, but either;

He wanted to move to London; or

He just didn't want to come here; or

We thought we had better options for the fee and didn't push it; or

His wages were a problem.

I'm fine with any of those as being a good reason not to sign him. It might be a mistake of course, which is an option I didn't mention, but there you go.

The one thing I can't understand is what he hopes to achieve with Spurs if that's where he lands up. From the outside, it seems they lack ambition to do anything other than try and cling onto the coattails of bigger clubs and if that's the limit of his ambition as well, fair enough. Presumably Kane is going this summer too, so who is he creating chances for?