Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

4 minutes ago, TRC said:

Wood is our 3rd choice striker, not many have a better 3rd choice striker in this league or a 3rd choice striker at all. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, all have limited options if their first 2 strikers go down.

I mean, I would hope most teams have a better 3rd striker than this:

image.png.387f75995849cf1c50343eaa0d9a7628.png

EDIT:

To clarify what I mean by that is that there should be young players that would be able to at least be level in most of the usage as a striker as him. If not then youth recruitment needs a wild shake.

Edited by worthy

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

A loan does nothing for us, unless it’s a substantial fee, which I very much doubt is being offered.

True, but it doesn’t really cost us much either. 

That said, I’d be surprised unless we are bringing a forward in. 

49 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Getting rid of Wood and not even replacing him leaves our squad stronger. Obviously replacing him would be the ideal scenario but knowing he wouldn't be involved in games any more is benefit enough. I'd rather have Maxi or someone from the academy playing than someone we absolutely know can't and won't perform at this level.

Someone from the academy? Seriously? Who? As bad as Wood maybe, we don't have any knacker down in the academy ready to take the step up and 'make our squad stronger'.

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

I mean the ‘don’t win any headers’ thing is actual something that can be proven as total nonsense with statistics…

edit - and as if by magic @worthyhas just inadvertently done so in the very next post…

Problem with him winning headers is what happens to those headers, most of the time it ends up in oppositions hands or cushining down to the keeper. Yes he wins the balls but nothing happens with him winning them. You would think that someone that could be THAT dominant in the air would have way more assists or goals. So great winning the ball to fuck all I guess? :lol:

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

I mean the ‘don’t win any headers’ thing is actual something that can be proven as total nonsense with statistics…

edit - and as if by magic @worthyhas just inadvertently done so in the very next post…

Ok, I stand corrected on that one point. And the rest of them?

How many of those aerial duels won actually led to anything constructive? It’s a genuine question. Statistically if he outjumps the defender and flicks the ball on to no one or even heads it out of play, it’s an aerial duel won, right?

Edited by Holmesy

I seen Maxi play as a striker against Cambridge and that was more than enough for me.

As Howe has said, Wood is very good tactically - something you or I won't notice as much as coaches/analysts etc. He's a terrible finisher, no debate about that, but he done a job for us (at an inflated price).

Won't be sad to see him go though. Would hope we have someone lined up before letting him go.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Ok, I stand corrected on that one point. And the rest of them?

How many of those aerial duels won actually led to anything constructive? It’s a genuine question. Statistically if he outjumps the defender and flicks the ball on to no one or even heads it out of play, it’s an aerial duel won, right?

Let’s not gloss over that point here. 

You said he doesn’t win headers, when in fact he’s in the top 1% of PL players at winning headers. It’s like talking about Haaland and saying he doesn’t score goals. 

When you’re that drastically wrong about a particular aspect of a players game, it draws into question whether you’ve seen him play, or whether you’ve got a set opinion of him and refuse to deviate from it regardless of what he actually does.

14 minutes ago, worthy said:

Problem with him winning headers is what happens to those headers, most of the time it ends up in oppositions hands or cushining down to the keeper. Yes he wins the balls but nothing happens with him winning them. You would think that someone that could be THAT dominant in the air would have way more assists or goals. So great winning the ball to fuck all I guess? :lol:

Admittedly that’s a separate point and not one I’ve got any metrics to back up either way. However, all I would say is that anyone playing as central striker, I would probably expect their ‘headed pass completion’ (if there’s such a thing) to be fairly low.

Read all this drivel that's cascaded into now comparing him to Maxi? Also Woods statistics as a forward?

Originally weighed in, because I'm sick to the back teeth of the Wood played a massive part in us staying up crew. I'll say Bruno did, Bruno was the major factor,had Howe not held him back at times early on, (which I understood) I think we'd have squeezed more out. But its hindsight. 

Enjoy your own opinions on Wood, each to their own etc.

For me Jaquen makes the best points and reply, following this mess. 

[emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

Just now, SteV said:

Admittedly that’s a separate point and not one I’ve got any metrics to back up either way. However, all I would say is that anyone playing as central striker, I would probably expect their ‘headed pass completion’ (if there’s such a thing) to be fairly low.

Agreed. But being dominant should in theory bring those stats up, if you win an estimate of 7 duels per game in one of the harder leagues. I feel like in theory you should be able to also win them in more dangerous areas so resulting a goal/assist/chance. Or manage to pass it on to someone if you win it in the middle of the park and then create a chance from there. But it just doesn't happen. He wins them, but they seldom lead to anything, and even worse when he wins them in the box, it just fizzles out to nothing.

30 minutes ago, SteV said:

Let’s not gloss over that point here. 

You said he doesn’t win headers, when in fact he’s in the top 1% of PL players at winning headers. It’s like talking about Haaland and saying he doesn’t score goals. 

When you’re that drastically wrong about a particular aspect of a players game, it draws into question whether you’ve seen him play, or whether you’ve got a set opinion of him and refuse to deviate from it regardless of what he actually does.

Utter bollocks! It’s nothing like saying Haaland doesn’t score goals at all. Goals is the ultimate measurement of an attacking player. He either does or doesn’t.

Winning headers is only relevant if those headers actually do anything. Chris Wood could statistically be (and probably is) the best striker in the league for heading the ball out of play. He’s still won headers, but ultimately achieved fuck all. 
It’s not even close to being the same thing. ?

Look up the statistic for how many of Chris Wood’s headers have actually led to anything positive and let’s discuss that stat. I imagine we might be hearing tumbleweeds

Edited by Holmesy

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Utter bollocks! It’s nothing like saying Haaland doesn’t score goals at all. Goals is the ultimate measurement of an attaching player. He either does or doesn’t.

Winning headers is only relevant if those headers actually do anything. Chris Wood could statistically be (and probably is) the best striker in the league for heading the ball out of play. He’s still won headers, but ultimately achieved fuck all. 

Look up the statistic for how many of Chris Wood’s headers have actually led to anything positive and let’s discuss that stat. I imagine we might be hearing tumbleweeds

They're not like. Heplping your team win games is, although it's pretty hard to measure. It's why for all Andy Cole outscored Sir Les most would still pick Sir Les over him.

Just now, Holmesy said:

Utter bollocks! It’s nothing like saying Haaland doesn’t score goals at all. Goals is the ultimate measurement of an attaching player. He either does or doesn’t.

Desperately trying to alter from the course where you were of the belief that a player in the top 1% of PL players at winning headers “doesn’t win headers”.

That was the point your opinion of his playing abilities should have retreated to the tumbleweeds….

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Not wanting to delve too much into the Twitter depths, but that flight tracker twitter dude has private jet going out to Florence yesterday and returning back to Newcastle today. 

:howe:

18 minutes ago, SteV said:

Desperately trying to alter from the course where you were of the belief that a player in the top 1% of PL players at winning headers “doesn’t win headers”.

That was the point your opinion of his playing abilities should have retreated to the tumbleweeds….

What are you not understanding about this?! It’s really not hard. I admit I was wrong about Chris Wood not winning headers, 100%. Gold star for you.

But those headers he wins don’t do anything, so it’s a shit statistic! If you want to crack open a beer because Chris Wood wins loads of headers that do nothing useful, knock yourself out pal. 

I’ll go back and amend my point from Chris Wood doesn’t win any headers, to Chris Wood wins all of the headers but the net result is still the same as if he didn’t. ??

Edited by Holmesy

3 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Once again, for the dunces at the back. 

We were relegation fodder 

New owners, new manager knew we needed a striker or it was Gayle*

We went out, early doors, paid a release clause for an experienced striker as a cushion just in case. Then went looking for a better one which didn't happen. 

One of the earliest signs that the ownership/manager both meant business AND were prepared to fork out. 

Guess what, thickos? It worked. 

100% NOT a mistake. 

* no disrespect to Gayle 

I’d also add and remind people no EPL club wanted to sell us a forward and we’re dicking us about by hinting they would then moving goalposts etc and wasting our time and causing havoc whilst we allocated the rest of the budget on other signings so the only forward we could buy is one with a release clause so the club couldn’t prevent it and also with someone willing to join the club in deep relegation trouble. 

EH wanted premier league experience, excellent fitness record and great attitude which is what we got and it worked. Job done. You could argue we could’ve shopped abroad that window for a striker but then you could argue that might of backfired and it also wasn’t what EH wanted to work with.

People still questioning the Wood signing are beyond help in my eyes now ?

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

Getting rid of Wood and not even replacing him leaves our squad stronger. Obviously replacing him would be the ideal scenario but knowing he wouldn't be involved in games any more is benefit enough. I'd rather have Maxi or someone from the academy playing than someone we absolutely know can't and won't perform at this level.

Absolute drivel.