Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

It's a problem. Increasingly the Premiership clubs are hoarding the best talent, and with the top clubs, not many come through and establish themselves in the first team without going on loan first, or taking a step down and then returning. But that's the nature of the competition now.

I'm a bit worried about Anderson, because as fast as he's improving, the quality that's being demanded is rising at the same pace, and there's a danger he's going to be stuck in his current role as a useful sub. Longstaff was able to have a long apprenticeship in the first team, because the first team wasn't as good.

Where?

17 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Which young potentials have we got waiting to tear up the league? Our academy needs an influx of quality as much as the first team, if not more so.

Therefore if we have no young potentials may as well scrap the academy as is and just fill it with these fantastic players with potentials from abroad .

6 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Therefore if we have no young potentials may as well scrap the academy as is and just fill it with these fantastic players with potentials from abroad .

That’s exactly what academies are these days- filled with talents from around the world from young ages. The days of having an academy filled with local lads is long gone.  The fact that we don’t have too many good foreign current academy players merely shows the lack of investment in it for the past 20 years. We need to invest in young up and coming talent from around the world, hopefully mould them into NUFC first team players, and save ourselves millions in transfer fees in the long term- it’s irrelevant where these players are born or come from. 

It's so weird because I've always thought he looked very very good, and was surprised there was never much hype around him, but it seems to be coming along now.

He is an explosive athlete and is very strong, physical and aggressive. Would be a great signing.

Edited by KaKa

Don't think now is the time to stick the boot in tbh. They're not faultless or perfect but they've backed their manager and having a pop now serves no purpose at all, I can understand the frustration but it won't do any good now. 

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

A lot of U.S. fans were frustrated with his performance during the World Cup (a lot of U.S. fans are also morons). Definitely susceptible to a heavy touch and can get caught out from time to time. Seems to be having a very good season with Fulham though (next to Tim Ream, who has somehow aged like a fine wine). Also just a good egg who would fit in really well with Eddie’s project.

It's pretty incredible that it's mid February and we're in with a shot of the the top four and a genuine chance of silverware, probably beyond most of our wildest dreams at the start of the season.

Yet whenever something doesn't quite go to plan, all a section of fanbase can is bitch and moan that we're not progressing as fast as they'd like, or that we didn't spend enough, or that we didn't buy enough players.

It's going to get worse too. If you can't enjoy the ride that we're on or the rapid progress we've made without constantly whining on, you probably deserve Mike Ashley.

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

It's pretty incredible that it's mid February and we're in with a shot of the the top four and a genuine chance of silverware, probably beyond most of our wildest dreams at the start of the season.

Yet whenever something doesn't quite go to plan, all a section of fanbase can is bitch and moan that we're not progressing as fast as they'd like, or that we didn't spend enough, or that we didn't buy enough players.

It's going to get worse too. If you can't enjoy the ride that we're on or the rapid progress we've made without constantly whining on, you probably deserve Mike Ashley.

It’s completely possible to be both very happy with the progress of the club over the past 15 months and critical of our form over the past couple of games. One doesn’t negate the other.

If anyone can’t hold these 2 opposing appraisals, one of the long term project and the other of the current performances, it shows a incredible immaturity imo.

48 minutes ago, Lotus said:

It’s completely possible to be both very happy with the progress of the club over the past 15 months and critical of our form over the past couple of games. One doesn’t negate the other.

If anyone can’t hold these 2 opposing appraisals, one of the long term project and the other of the current performances, it shows a incredible immaturity imo.

That's quite clearly not what I'm talking about though.

There's a handful of posters who complain after every single transfer market. No amount of cash spent or amount of players bought is ever enough. £100 million on five player? We need a right winger. £100 million on four players? We need a forward. £45 million on two players? We need a midfielder.

Now we've hit our second rough patch of the season, they push the same tedious, conjecture based argument every week. It isn't reasonable discussion about tactics or players, it's more of a smug "I told you so" vibe.

No transfer window is perfect. Our owners have taken over an inadequate squad and spent £250 million on ten players in around 18 months. They're showing the ambition that we've been hoping for for years. Do I think we're light in midfield? Yes. Do I think any transfer window is perfect? No. Do I blame ever single dropped point on our transfer dealings? No, because in reality we don't how spending more cash or buying more players would have panned out.

There's no celebration of where we are or how far we've come, just a demand to progress faster.

Edited by The Prophet

Some peoples lives have made them very pessimistic. It’s a defence mechanism I suppose. 
I wouldn’t let someone else’s misery detract from enjoying our season overall. Even if I have got the right jump over yesterday’s result. 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Maddison please 

Been looking at a few players who are out of contract in 2024;

On that basis I would settle for Neves - Y Fofana and Maddison 

Maddison can play in 3/4 positions 

Get Lacroix and Grimaldo and J Pedro and that’s your lot - squad complete - do away with the likes of Ritchie/Lascelles/Fraser etc

Then all windows after that we are replacing our main players - Wilson, Schar, Burn and so on - 2 transfers per summer if needs be 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Newcastle_United_F.C._season#Statistics

For me a LB, defensive midfielder and attacking midfielder would be the singings I'd make if we were to bring in 3 starters. We've had 11 players start at least 14 league matches and a few others filling in when required / when they are fit in some cases

• Pope - far better than I expected, looks top 4/6 standard
  • Trippier - maybe gone off form slightly recently, but still in and around top 6 standard, and vital leadership and generally good deliveries
  • Schaar - probably midtable (some of that due to previous wear and tear). A bit underrated and maybe less fashionable than the younger, expensive Botman, and he has been very good this season, but he is over 30 now, and has generally been a bottom half player when in bigger leagues. Deserves another season though for his performances this season, and has been a big part of the strong defensive unit
  • Botman - top 4/6 standard. Been great this season, and hopefully he'll be a big factor for us for years to come
  • Burn - bottom half. He's never finished in the top half of the PL and spent a lot of years in the lower leagues, was never considered a regular at BHA, but filled in a lot because they played 3 CBs so would cover for either Dunk, Duffy or Webster or fill in at LB when required. I like him, want him to do well, and he has largely been fine, and isn't really a LB, but he could be useful cover for LB or CB, and play in a few less important Europa/Conference games if we get there, but that's definitely a position we could massively improve, despite our great defensive record.
  • Longstaff - probably bottom half, good engine, local lad who you want to see do well, but like Burn, could be a good squad player in this 5 sub era, and play in Europe, but again, we can certainly do better and he wouldn't start for most top half teams IMO, or many in the bottom half when you consider that Rice and Neves could be replacements.
  • Bruno - clearly top 4 standard
  • Joelinton - in and around top 6 - there's still part of me that think he's going to turn to shite :lol:, but he's largely been excellent for 15 months now and has been a massive factor in our rise, and certainly deserves at least another 12 months and beyond.
  • Willock - jury out for me, probably midtable. He gets around and has chipped in with some important goals and assists, but Arsenal, who were operating at a 5-8 level at the time, were happy enough to see a 21 year old home grown player leave, and he was obviously joining a club in a completely different direction. Maybe not essential, but we can do better, and Maddison playing there would be ideal
  • Almiron - upper midtable - similar to Joelinton in that I expect his to return to previous levels. Not as effective at the moment as that previous purple patch but his numbers are still great, can press well, and more important positions to focus on, plus Gordon could probably fill in there if and when required and offer competition
  • Wilson - probably midtable - obviously spent most of his career in the lower leagues and at struggling Bmouth in the PL, plus came to an unambitious club in us at the time. Very good finisher when fit, but no 'big 6' side would take him, and the injuries become more concerning and he's getting on a bit. Less need to replace as Isak will be there and possibly is that replacement.

Maxi and Gordon could come into the side and compete well and you wouldn't think we were being hindered. Hard to tell Gordon's level due to his age and lack of game time, but certainly looks good enough to grow with us.

It's obviously all subjective, but we've kind of got a squad of 14 players, probably Targett as well who has been unlucky with injuries / illness this season, so 15, and a few of those you would consider midtable at absolute best, and the rest aren't really good enough for the PL, never mind one going for Europe, so it's crazy to where we are in the league currently with what we are operating with.

Ideally get at least 3 usual starters in like Grimaldo, Alavarez/Neves and Maddison (at a push) and then we might have a bench of Dubs, Burn, Targett, Willock, Longstaff, Isak/Wilson, Maxi/Gordon etc. a lot more options when you can bring 5 subs on, and not one predominantly filled up with Ritchie, Dummett, Fraser, and even Murphy.

The likes of Schaar, Almiron, Wilson etc. and perhaps Trippier (he'll be coming up to 34) could then be gradually phased out / on the bench at the end of 2024.

Think on the whole I would give some

of them a slight upgrade. Joelinton is clearly top 6 and is going to only get better. Willock isn’t far off from being a really complete player. There are very few players in the league that can run with the ball like him. Schar has been one of the best defenders all season, the only issue against him is his age as he won’t be able to keep it up in two year’s time. Longstaff is also not far off being a really complete player.

if he can become more consistent with his finishing he comes a top box to box player 

Top Drawer Left Back, DM, Winger/Wide Forward and a Goal Machine.

Then a few younger players to learn and fill out the Squad.

If we get Europe, we're gonna need a squad...

Pope

Trippier

New LB

Botman

Schar

New DM/Bruno

Joelinton/Willock

Bruno/Longstaff

Isak/ASM

New CF/Isak/Wilson

New Winger/Gordon/Miggy

Saying that I'd go...