Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

20 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I'm quite comfortable with Eddie deciding tbh.  It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a different system but not yet and if we do it will be against a club where he thinks the chances of winning are not optimal. Most of the time we will play our own game. 

We're not talking about a different system, but about Miggy playing as an 8 in that midfield three, which I think he clearly can, as long as it isn't in Bruce's awful tactics or setups.

31 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Our lack of squad depth is really illustrated when there’s genuine suggestions for the likes of Almiron, Schar and Botman to play in a central midfield role, due to an injury.

We need more quality.

I actually think that forward thinking central midfield role in a three might suit Miggy better, as he was more of an attacking midfielder than he was a winger prior to joining us. And he has the necessary discipline and work rate for that position.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, because under Bruce everyone wandered through our midfield and defence all the time.

And part of the reason for that was his consistency of playing players out of position. Wingers at full back, full backs at centre back and #10s/wingers at CM. Shuddering at the thought of watching that again.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

34 minutes ago, Lotus said:

From what little I’ve seen of Longstaff in a deeper role, he let players get in behind him too easy.

Even a much improved Longstaff under Eddie lacks class and ability. He'll be a great squad player but he just haven't have "it" whereas Bruno definitely has it and Joelinton is such a monster he doesn't need it.

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

And part of the reason for that was his consistency of playing players out of position. Wingers at full back, full backs at centre back and #10s/wingers at CM. Shuddering at the thought of watching that again.

Playing Miggy in a midfield three doesn't apply to what you're saying IMO.

Howe's setup and what he asks the two forward thinking central midfielders to do is infinitely different from whatever Bruce was trying to acheive.

He used both Anderson and Miggy in that role in pre season to good effect and they are both attacking midfielders.

Just now, KaKa said:

Playing Miggy in a midfield three doesn't apply to what you're saying IMO.

Howe's setup and what he asks the two forward thinking central midfielders to do is infinitely different from whatever Bruce was trying to acheive.

He used both Anderson and Miggy in that role in pre season to good effect and they are both attacking midfielders.

If either of Anderson or Almiron, one unproven at the top level and the other who IMO isn't good enough, start a PL game for us in CM then I'd be quite disappointed tbh. :lol: I get what you're saying btw, assuming you mean Almiron would be the most advanced midfielder of the 3 so we may as well be playing a 4-2-3-1 with Almiron as a sort of #10, his actual position for a change. Admittedly I barely saw any of pre season outside of the 1860 game but playing 2 advanced midfielders would also work rendering us playing a 4-1-4-1 in possession similar to what Rodgers' Leicester played when they had success early under him in 2019-20.

I just don't think Almiron is good enough as is and a few goals in pre season doesn't change that. If he proves me wrong I'd be absolutely delighted.

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Linked with Luis Muriel. I didn't see the Atlanta game, but he looks very decent on YT. 

He seems to have hit a late purple patch of goalscoring in his career. 

Can’t see it happening, doesn’t fit the profile we are looking at.

29 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Can’t see it happening, doesn’t fit the profile we are looking at.

Indeed not, given his age, but we're probably running out of available options. He seems to fit the profile of a versatile forward.

If we are looking at an Etikite type of player then I’m surprised we’ve never been linked with Gakpo tbh - he’d cost less than Etikite aswell

Or if we are looking for a like for like for Wilson then Moussa Dembele of Lyon

Yeah it’s weird. People were talking about big clubs being in for him but till now it’s only been Brighton and Trabzonspor showing any real interest. Something must be up with him.

Edited by McCormick