Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

5 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think Fraser will be a loan u less we terminate his contract. He's on decent money

On so much that Southampton, Everton or Forest wouldn't take him?

I could absolutely see Everton giving us 8m or so for him.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

He has played left and right before, most of his good play so far for us has been him coming from the left, and Howe said he envisaged Wilson and Isak playing together.

Played on the right wing 3 times

Played on the left wing once

Not a winger

Just now, Jack27 said:

Played on the right wing 3 times

Played on the left wing once

Not a winger

And Joelinton wasn’t a CM.

I think Howe is aiming to play a front 3 of Isak, Wilson and Almiron, with Isak given the freedom to link up as second striker. He said they’d be playing together.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

And Joelinton wasn’t a CM.

I think Howe is aiming to play a front 3 of Isak, Wilson and Almiron, with Isak given the freedom to link up as second striker. He said they’d be playing together.

Can you link to when he said they’d be playing together, please?

Well, even IF he was to play out wide it won’t help us when Wilson is out. Then we already are a “winger” down because Isak plays as a CF. Plus ASM can’t be relied upon. We simply need a wide forward player and have done so for a while.

Edited by Ikon

We don’t play with wingers anyway. We play with wide forwards who drive into the box as often as possible. There was a period yesterday where Isak drifted left and Murphy went central. I can see us playing with a more fluid front three, rather than defined positions, moving forwards.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Isak is going to be Wilsons replacement. 

That's what they had in mind when they signed him. Having said that I can see him operating well in the channel between the RB and the RCB and the heat map from @Anonsuggests its something he sort of does already.

Whether that would work with Burn at LB I don't know.

8 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Isak is going to be Wilsons replacement. 

Eventually yes not straight away no. Isak allows them to manage Wilson’s minutes and gives them more options across a front 3.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

We're quite positionally fluid in a few spots so I wouldn't think of Isak as a 'LW' when we're going forward, and I imagine Wilson will have to do more rotating than he has before. While he's definitely a striker first, a lot of Isak clips see him drifting out wider and driving into space - it seems a very natural part of his game to search for spaces and get on the ball.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

Can you link to when he said they’d be playing together, please?

It was in the press conference immediately after he signed. Not going to spend my night looking for the exact quote, but it’s referenced in this Athletic article… https://theathletic.com/3540297/2022/08/26/alexander-isak-callum-wilson-eddie-howe-newcastle/?amp=1

If you look at how the ‘wingers’ play in Howe’s system you can categorically say Isak should not and will not be playing as one. He’s a striker, end of.

Real conundrum for Eddie to solve up front, mind. Isak is still raw, in a new league and the 4 month layoff has cost us half of season where we could have got him up to PL speed. Callum, realistically will only be fit and fully sharp for about 50% of games, at best - and he’s nearly 31. Finally, Chris Wood is shit. Be interesting to see how it is addressed.