Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Too late should have got him last summer. He cost Fulham £15 million which in hindsight was outrageous value. Can't believe we were after a number 6 and he wasn't on the list.

Fulham are going places and will be looking to build on what they have. They are looking like they are going to be in Europe next season too. Any conversations for him would start at around £60 million, and I can't see us doing that as there are too many other decent DMs of a similar profile on the continent that could be had for much better value.

No chance. Villa are rich and have the same ambitions we do of ruffling the feathers of the traditional so called 'top cubs' they will not be selling any players to us. Not to mention he is English on top of that. If we even thought about enquiring about him they would quote us £100 million just to take the piss, and even if we were crazy enough to bid that they would then reject it.

Apart from that, although he has done well recently, there are some fantastic young strikers out there that would be much better value, and who I think are probably better than he is tbh. Would not be a smart move.

It's Jonathan David time, baby. :smug:

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

Too late should have got him last summer. He cost Fulham £15 million which in hindsight was outrageous value. Can't believe we were after a number 6 and he wasn't on the list.

Fulham are going places and will be looking to build on what they have. They are looking like they are going to be in Europe next season too. Any conversations for him would start at around £60 million, and I can't see us doing that as there are too many other decent DMs of a similar profile on the continent that could be had for much better value.

No chance. Villa are rich and have the same ambitions we do of ruffling the feathers of the traditional so called 'top cubs' they will not be selling any players to us. Not to mention he is English on top of that. If we even thought about enquiring about him they would quote us £100 million just to take the piss, and even if we were crazy enough to bid that they would then reject it.

Apart from that, although he has done well recently, there are some fantastic young strikers out there that would be much better value, and who I think are probably better than he is tbh. Would not be a smart move.

Not that we would ever bid it but there's not a chance in hell they'd reject £100m for Watkins

9 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

He’s likely looked much better under Emery but didn’t @brummie say Watkins is one of the most wasteful strikers he’s seen at Villa Park?

Misses so many chances. Works his bollocks off though, pulls defences out of shape to create chances for others.

Although improved a lot under Emery. In couldn’t name a single player who improved under Gerrard, not one, but I can name several under Emery and he’s near the top of the list 

Emery loves him - so much he sold Ings and sent Archer out on loan and stuck with him as our only striker other than an MLS kid for the second half of the season. 

He’d never sell him. 

Also one thing about Watkins, I think Emery is one of those managers who is happy to see goals from across the team and not load so much expectation on the striker(s). 

Watkins has six in the last seven games I think so is improving, plus we’ve scored in every game under Emery so he’s probably got a point. 

Watkins though, he’ll do something brilliant and then minutes later he’s missing one from six inches. We put a brilliant team move together against Palace which he fluffed by screwing wide from six feet. 

Genuinely, i reckon I could have finished that nine times out of ten. 

But then again, I’m not running non stop and making intelligent runs any time soon. 

Edited by brummie

Personally think we're better off avoiding signing English players, so we're not paying the premium often which will help with FFP, unless we need them to tick a box if we qualify for Europe (?).

I think we go the smart route and sign from elsewhere.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Emery loves him - so much he sold Ings and sent Archer out on loan and stuck with him as our only striker other than an MLS kid for the second half of the season. 

He’d never sell him. 

Tell them again @brummie, some of them didn't understand the point when I made it.

There's no world in which Villa are selling him to Newcastle United. No chance.

Edited by KaKa

4 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Not that we would ever bid it but there's not a chance in hell they'd reject £100m for Watkins

3 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Bruno would even be accepted for a bid of 100 mill. 

So here's a question for you then ... if Villa came in and bid £100 million for Bruno do you think we'd accept that bid?

If you're still thinking about it, the answer is NO, not a chance that ever happens.

6 hours ago, KaKa said:

So here's a question for you then ... if Villa came in and bid £100 million for Bruno do you think we'd accept that bid?

If you're still thinking about it, the answer is NO, not a chance that ever happens.

I'm not thinking about it, I'd tell them to do one but why are you comparing Bruno to Ollie Watkins? They aren't on the same level

8 hours ago, KaKa said:

Bruno will be going to Real M certainly not  Villa , regardless what they would hypothetically offer, I wouldn't fancy getting transferred to Villa

8 hours ago, KaKa said:

No, I buy you out.

image.png

Edited by Cronky

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I know that Villa are fairly cash rich, but what's their FFP status like? Any idea?

Not that we'd spend £100m on Watkins btw, not a chance in hell :lol:

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/aston-villa-finances-202122?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Conclusion

While Villa continue to rely on the owners’ financial support, the turnaround in the club’s outlook is notable, bearing in mind the awful situation they inherited from Tony Xia in 2018, when Villa were perilously close to entering administration

The club’s stated plan continues to be “developing, recruiting and securing talented young players on long-term contracts to build asset value in our playing squad and to ensure long term sustainability”.

That sounds good, but there’s a long way to go before the club is genuinely sustainable (at least without selling their best player).

23 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I know that Villa are fairly cash rich, but what's their FFP status like? Any idea?

Not that we'd spend £100m on Watkins btw, not a chance in hell :lol:

Why on earth would we consider selling him to you? Why would you want to offer £100m, as you said?

I think he's turned it around with us recently, but there's two things absolutely sure here - firstly, that he's never worth anything like £100m, so anyone even prepared to offer that much would be setting themselves up to get financially fucked every time they go for a player, and secondly, there is absolutely no way the owners would sell him unless the manager expressly wanted them to, and I struggle to think of a player Emery loves more than Watkins. And that's before the whole argument over whether he'd want to go or not.

The bigger point here is that there is no point the likes of us or you buying players like Watkins in any case - he's not the sort of acquisition needed to move to the next level, and worth remembering - even given the manager's love for him, one of our pressing priorities this summer is for another proven striker.

To explain that a bit better - I like what he has done under the manager, and wasteful though he is, he definitely does add a lot to our style of play. But even having said that, I'd be disappointed if we spent this summer buying players of that level, that's not going to be enough to move to the next level.

I don't watch enough of you to know which players to highlight here (maybe Almiron, but I know Howe has done this with several of your players) but to use our squad as an example, it's about getting better results from players you already have (in our case, Watkins, Luiz and McGinn obvious examples) and then buying better quality players to add in.

More of the same isn't really going to be enough.

I would only deal with premier league clubs under special circumstances, for example Maddison with his contract running out. Trying to get players that the other side want to keep and don’t need to sell is a good way of wasting time, energy, and money.

While you're here @brummieI'm curious to hear what Villa fans think of the clubs current prospects/overall ambition. I feel like before the PIF takeover it was Villa who were best placed in terms of both wealth of owners, and their willingness to invest, to break into that top 7/6 consistently. Do the fanbase see that as being a lot harder now there's a team outside that traditional 'top 6' who, in theory (once FFP and commercial catches up) can match up with/outmatch most teams in Europe financially and would now be seen as the favourite to break in consistently over the course of the next couple seasons? Or do you still see a route through?

30 minutes ago, brummie said:

Why on earth would we consider selling him to you? Why would you want to offer £100m, as you said?

I think he's turned it around with us recently, but there's two things absolutely sure here - firstly, that he's never worth anything like £100m, so anyone even prepared to offer that much would be setting themselves up to get financially fucked every time they go for a player, and secondly, there is absolutely no way the owners would sell him unless the manager expressly wanted them to, and I struggle to think of a player Emery loves more than Watkins. And that's before the whole argument over whether he'd want to go or not.

The bigger point here is that there is no point the likes of us or you buying players like Watkins in any case - he's not the sort of acquisition needed to move to the next level, and worth remembering - even given the manager's love for him, one of our pressing priorities this summer is for another proven striker.

To explain that a bit better - I like what he has done under the manager, and wasteful though he is, he definitely does add a lot to our style of play. But even having said that, I'd be disappointed if we spent this summer buying players of that level, that's not going to be enough to move to the next level.

I don't watch enough of you to know which players to highlight here (maybe Almiron, but I know Howe has done this with several of your players) but to use our squad as an example, it's about getting better results from players you already have (in our case, Watkins, Luiz and McGinn obvious examples) and then buying better quality players to add in.

More of the same isn't really going to be enough.

This is a great post I think, exactly the same applies to us as you.

We need more bruno's, botman's and isaks and not more longstaff's, schar's and burn's (as good as they have been).