Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

Burn was a slam dunk of a signing and I’d suck your hands off for an equivalent quality signing of the same age & in the same price bracket who plays upfront. 

Who's also a Geordie that works his ass off for the club.

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Dan Burn is ultimately going to transition to being a backup for Botman going forward. He is absolutely European level ability as a back up central defender. He's better than backups sitting on Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd and West Ham benches right now, and they're all in Europe this season

This is exactly it. Our entire squad needed a revamp, not just CL-level starters. Burn will go from 1st/2nd choice CB (last season) to 2nd/3rd choice (this season) and quite possibly 4th choice at some point in the future. 

We obviously want to sign those top-quality players but there is still value in players like Burn & Targett who are relatively inexpensive and can transition from "do a job" 7th/8th level (ie. where we are aiming for now) to backups at some point in the future.

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This summer we've not been seriously linked with any outfield player over 25 for a reason.

Except for Eriksen and Werner off the top of my head who were both linked pretty regularly?

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This summer we've not been seriously linked with any outfield player over 25 for a reason.

Yes, because they are specifically looking for younger players to grow with the club as they have said countless times.

Not every older player is automatically 'poor resale value', because not every signing that is made, is made with the view to eventually selling on for profit. The key is not spending a significant outlay on such older players, which we didn't do.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, BoSelecta said:

Burn was a slam dunk of a signing and I’d suck your hands off for an equivalent quality signing of the same age & in the same price bracket who plays upfront. 

He's been exceptional, a warrior

1 hour ago, BoSelecta said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Yes, because they are specifically looking for younger players to grow with the club as they have said countless times.

Not every older player is automatically 'poor resale value', because not every signing that is made, is made with the view to eventually selling on for profit. The key is not spending a significant outlay on such older players, which we didn't do.

Yes exactly - so we are not looking for a Dan Burn short-term type.

Again, the hesitation around the Targett transfer is proof. If Targett was 29, I don't think we sign him or at least we take longer to do it. And MT is better than we initially thought he was (fans and mgmt imo).

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

And despite actually signing Targett and Pope, who are both over 25.

OUTFIELD - READ.

30 as a GK is the equivalent of mid / late 20's for an outfield player. That's why we gave Pope a 4-year deal and CW/DB 2.5 year deals. The club expect Pope to be here in 3.5 years, they don't for the other 2. They are not the same type of transfer strategically. Pope was bought with the intention of being here post-midtable transition, the other 2 aint.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yes exactly - so we are not looking for a Dan Burn short-term type.

Again, the hesitation around the Targett transfer is proof. If Targett was 29, I don't think we sign him or at least we take longer to do it. And MT is better than we initially thought he was (fans and mgmt imo).

OUTFIELD - READ.

30 as a GK is the equivalent of mid / late 20's for an outfield player. That's why we gave Pope a 4-year deal and CW/DB 2.5 year deals. The club expect Pope to be here in 3.5 years, they don't for the other 2. They are not the same type of transfer strategically. Pope was bought with the intention of being here post-midtable transition, the other 2 aint.

This guy man :lol:

At this point I genuinely don't even understand what point you're trying to make anymore as it's all so muddled up now.

Hope you enjoy the season.

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Don’t think we give a single fuck about resale value. We want long term or short term contributors to the squad and they have to fit every single box Howe wants. 

When you focus on players 25 and under - resale value is an inherent factor. When FFP is a significant factor - resale value is also a significant factor. Because you know, every club sells players and selling players generates revenue.

I don't think we'll have a window signing 2 players 29 and older for the first team again in this current phase of our evolution. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This guy man :lol:

At this point I genuinely don't even understand what point you're trying to make anymore as it's all so muddled up now.

Hope you enjoy the season.

Doubtful, at this point, I think he'd find some fault with a Mila Kunis BJ

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Doubtful, at this point, I think he'd find some fault with a Mila Kunis BJ

Well technically she’s also Meg from Family guy so you wouldn’t be able close your eyes during the process etc etc 

something like that?  ;)

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

OUTFIELD - READ.

Is Targett not an outfield player? One of the two first teamers we've actually bought. You seem angry about things you've invented in your own head.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's anything of substance or interest worth debating, so let's leave it there.

12 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Imagine being so consistently wrong about everything. 

It's not even that he's necessarily wrong, it's that he goes on about it in such a needlessly arrogant manner. 'Shite Ronaldo tribute act' as someone put it just absolutely nails it. 

Not reading the last 2/3 pages of shite, just want to say don’t bother using Wood as an example when it comes to transfers. Absolute exception, bought for to much money (which management knew at the time) because of the desperate position we were in. 

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

Don’t think we give a single fuck about resale value. We want long term or short term contributors to the squad and they have to fit every single box Howe wants. 

They better be, you have to be able to sell players to stay solvent with FFP.  Newcastle haven't got a fucking dime on their players. No resale value.

edit: I mean who they now have outgoing. Obviously they are accumulating players with real value on the squad. Just saying that needs to continue, even through the youth program.

Edited by McDog