Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Links that are based on scouts watching games are so tenuous- especially now the club has started to build a big scouting network. Newcastle scouts will probably be watching tens of games a week and hundreds of players. You could link whole leagues of players based on scouts watching their games

Not like when it was just Graham Carr shopping in France…

I know some have reservations about his fitness, but given he's one of the best left backs in the league, he'd be a cracking signing.

Shaw

Chilwell

Zinchenko

Robertson

These are the best in league (I've probably missed someone), Tierney is in that bracket IMO.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As has been pointed out on Twitter, Arsenal are really. pushing this Tierney deal. They're briefing the London hacks on a daily basis.

Yup. Gary Jacob in the Times (their London correspondent) saying we're in 'pole position' for Tierney, with Arsenal wanting 'more than' £30m, to help them fund a bid for Rice.

Not fussed either way on Tierney, but with this and the McTominay stuff, I really don't think we should be taking unwanted squad players from premier league rivals, especially not if there's a Newcastle tax on them.

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Yup. Gary Jacob in the Times (their London correspondent) saying we're in 'pole position' for Tierney, with Arsenal wanting 'more than' £30m, to help them fund a bid for Rice.

Not fussed either way on Tierney, but with this and the McTominay stuff, I really don't think we should be taking unwanted squad players from premier league rivals, especially not if there's a Newcastle tax on them.

Really, really unfair lumping Tierney with McTominay and whilst Tierney may be "dispensable" from an Arsenal viewpoint, alot of people would argue that Tierney is actually a better player than Zinchenko, however they are both massively different players.

6 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Arsenal signed Zinchenko and Gabriel Jesus last season from Man City.  Unwanted squad players from rivals don't necessarily equal bad signings.  Tierney is a really good (if injury prone) LB - and would be an obvious upgrade on what we have already

Might just be my lack of knowledge on left-backs but- injury history aside- I can’t think of a better (realistic) option for us than Tierney. If it’s 30m or less then it’d be a great deal imo.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Really, really unfair lumping Tierney with McTominay and whilst Tierney may be "dispensable" from an Arsenal viewpoint, alot of people would argue that Tierney is actually a better player than Zinchenko, however they are both massively different players.

Maybe, and I'm quite happy to be wrong there, but he's certainly disposable to them - only started 6 games last season. 

It's the fitness issues that would worry me mainly. Aren't we past buying players who are a fitness risk and taking a gamble on them?

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Was it injury that cost Tierney his Arsenal place? Seems strange Arsenal went out and bought Zinchenko last summer if they considered Tierney a top class left back.

I think it was mainly injury, but then Zinchenko came in and became the preferred choice.

Which might just be a matter of playing style as STM says.

Obviously a first choice LB is going to be brought in this summer but I'm interested to see what happens with Targett.

I'd hope that last season was mostly just a case of Eddie not wanting to mess with a settled back five and that's why Burn kept his place.

If Burn is going to stay ahead of him in the LB pecking order then I'd hope we'll move Targett on and get some money back for him. Maybe bring in a youngster that can be brought along as 3rd choice LB until he's ready with Burn covering it until then?

If he's going to be second choice LB, Targett is worth keeping. If not, might be someone we can get something decent back for.

Personally think he's been really good for us for the most part, wouldn't really hate him starting next season at LB.

Someone made a good point recently when they said that due to the wealth of the premier league teams compared to all of the other league in Europe, the top spending teams have little option but to sell to each other.

That is why Man City were selling to Arsenal and Chelsea last summer.

22 minutes ago, worthy said:

He didnt play, so didnt get injured 

B036B3D9-379E-4B2D-97DA-52528761C8DD.thumb.jpeg.20fd1bd77ce2680eade08cd2ddccc515.jpeg

If the knee surgery has sorted the problem that kept him out previously (no idea whether it was the same issue tbf), then that you could make a case that his injury problems are now behind him.

On that injury record - that's 3 seasons as Celtic where he missed 42 games, and then 3 at Arsenal where he missed 48. And then barely played last season anyway.

You'd guess the reason Burn continued as LB for us even when he was looking wobbly and Target was fit, was that most managers, Howe included, want a settled back line. So, it might be a bit of a risk is all.

Edited by Abacus